Equinox 800 Crazy VDI Depth Fix???

TNTGross

Elite Member
I got my Equinox 800 Nov 2018 and was amazed at how well it would lock onto a target and give such great VDI #s. It was like having a silver magnet.

As I didn't know much about ML or the EQ 800, I didn't know that they had some issues with the first gen firmware and had come up with a new and improved firmware.

When I did find this out, I got onto the MineLab site to see what version I had. After downloading the new software update, I hooked up my EQ 800 to see what it had. It checked it and told me that I had the newest version. No update was needed.

Well, I don't know if this test did anything or it was just coincidence, but the EQ 800 wasn't the same from that day on.

It was a lot more jumpy and the VDI #'s were all over the place. A new penny would ring up anywhere from 13 to 26 and give every number inbetween. Locking onto a VDI was almost imposible A quater would ring up fine, but every other coin was a mess. Plus, the depth meter was way off on everything. A three inch quarter was showing 8 to 10 inches or deeper. I was digging crazy deep plugs, fishing around in the hole, only to find it in the thick part of the plug.

One thing that realy blew my mind was that the pinpoint was way off. I would find dead center on a target I was trying to find, dig a plug, fish around, find nothing. Knowing I heard a good signal, I would swing the detector over the hole, only to find that the target wasn't in the hole or plug, but a couple of inches to the side.

I thought this was due to me not reading things right or hitting multiple targets and trying to find the wrong one. I wasn't sure what was going on until I did an airtest.

I layed out a bunch of coins and swung over them only to find that the VDI numbers were a mess and the depth on a 4 inch swing was way off.

After a bit of research, I found that you could set back the EQ to the older version, (Roll It Back) then instal the updated version again. In each case, I also restarted my computer and EQ after each update.

After doing the "roll back" and then the software update, I took the EQ outside and swung it over the coins that I had all the messed up numbers on yesterday, and they rang up right today.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

I rolled back the update three times already. I just fine it is not as stable with the new version compared to the old. My issues was not as bad as you described. It just seems it does not hit as hard as the old version.

I am a software developer and always believe the latest should be installed so I keep giving it a try but for some reason it just doesn't feel right.

I rolled back the update three times already. I just fine it is not as stable with the new version compared to the old. My issues was not as bad as you described. It just seems it does not hit as hard as the old version.

I am a software developer and always believe the latest should be installed so I keep giving it a try but for some reason it just doesn't feel right.

Hmmmm. When I got mine, it had the new version in it. So, I have no idea how the old version was. But you keep jumping back and forth from old to new and new to old. Is that because you have had issues with the new version or because you became accustomed to the old version and prefer how it works yet keep hoping that the new version will kick in for you?

Not hitting as hard? So, you got better finds with the older version? Are you getting more targets with new version yet not as sure about target or not as deep?

I think I might have had the same issue as you did. I have read that many people did not like the update. I also heard many people had to do the update several tries to get it to function properly. The first time I updated something must have not went right with the update. I could tell right off something was screwed up. The detector was not stable and acting crazy. I considered it unusable. I put the original firmware back on it first then reinstalled the new update again and it worked correctly that time. It's been smooth sailing ever since with the latest firmware.

Hmmmm. When I got mine, it had the new version in it. So, I have no idea how the old version was. But you keep jumping back and forth from old to new and new to old. Is that because you have had issues with the new version or because you became accustomed to the old version and prefer how it works yet keep hoping that the new version will kick in for you?

Not hitting as hard? So, you got better finds with the older version? Are you getting more targets with new version yet not as sure about target or not as deep?

I'll try to explain my experience. In parks, the old version hit silver very solidly (clean tones) and I hit 6 gold rings at low tide on the mud flats with a pretty good tone. The old version becomes chatty or unstable at certain beaches and when waves are going over the coil. So I updated to the new version.

The new version the VDI's are not as stable and the tones were not as clean. The detector is also less chatty when a wave goes over the coil.

So I can caught between a rock and a hard place when I beach hunt. Do I want cleaner and more stable vdi or do I want it less chatty when I am in the water. There is not one good answer so each version has a component that I like. The new version I can increase the sensitivity a little higher. I can say I have not found any gold or silver with the new version and I put more time in then the time I found the 6 gold. Others hunting the same beaches like the update.

I think I might have had the same issue as you did. I have read that many people did not like the update. I also heard many people had to do the update several tries to get it to function properly. The first time I updated something must have not went right with the update. I could tell right off something was screwed up. The detector was not stable and acting crazy. I considered it unusable. I put the original firmware back on it first then reinstalled the new update again and it worked correctly that time. It's been smooth sailing ever since with the latest firmware.

I updated 3 times already. The trick people have been saying to the do a factory reset before the update, then the update, and then do another factory reset. That was the procedure I used for my update number 3.

I updated 3 times already. The trick people have been saying to the do a factory reset before the update, then the update, and then do another factory reset. That was the procedure I used for my update number 3.

Correct.

I bought my 600 in august. Right out of the box is was a killer. loved it.

Then the update came out and the need was justified by coins on edge and half dollars being invisible to the machine.

The update goofed up my machine terrible with many of the same symptoms described above. So I went back to the original program.

In December, after reading many posts about doing an FR before uploading the update I figured let's try it.

Bingo.

Went back to a few well hunted spots and pulled a few "obvious" I should have got those the first time coins.

Just for good measure I did FR, Update, then FR again. The programmed all my favorite fine tuned settings. Back to killing it again and more at ease, I'm probably pulling everything out of the ground now.

Stable VDI
Accurate pinpoint.
Depth meter is better far as I can tell, but I really don't use it that much, I coil lift and listen to the squeal cut out more often than not for depth and accuracy.

No doubt my NOX 800 is a great machine, but when you spend up to $900 dollars for a detector you shouldn't have to be doing multiple rollbacks, repeating FP's and updates. R & D at Minelab should provide a REAL update that does what it's supposed to do. You don't see Apple providing a faulty or worthless update, without promptly sending out one to correct any issues.:dash2:

Last edited:
I got my Equinox 800 Nov 2018 and was amazed at how well it would lock onto a target and give such great VDI #s. It was like having a silver magnet.

As I didn't know much about ML or the EQ 800, I didn't know that they had some issues with the first gen firmware and had come up with a new and improved firmware.

When I did find this out, I got onto the MineLab site to see what version I had. After downloading the new software update, I hooked up my EQ 800 to see what it had. It checked it and told me that I had the newest version. No update was needed.

Well, I don't know if this test did anything or it was just coincidence, but the EQ 800 wasn't the same from that day on.

It was a lot more jumpy and the VDI #'s were all over the place. A new penny would ring up anywhere from 13 to 26 and give every number inbetween. Locking onto a VDI was almost imposible A quater would ring up fine, but every other coin was a mess. Plus, the depth meter was way off on everything. A three inch quarter was showing 8 to 10 inches or deeper. I was digging crazy deep plugs, fishing around in the hole, only to find it in the thick part of the plug.

One thing that realy blew my mind was that the pinpoint was way off. I would find dead center on a target I was trying to find, dig a plug, fish around, find nothing. Knowing I heard a good signal, I would swing the detector over the hole, only to find that the target wasn't in the hole or plug, but a couple of inches to the side.

I thought this was due to me not reading things right or hitting multiple targets and trying to find the wrong one. I wasn't sure what was going on until I did an airtest.

I layed out a bunch of coins and swung over them only to find that the VDI numbers were a mess and the depth on a 4 inch swing was way off.

After a bit of research, I found that you could set back the EQ to the older version, (Roll It Back) then instal the updated version again. In each case, I also restarted my computer and EQ after each update.

After doing the "roll back" and then the software update, I took the EQ outside and swung it over the coins that I had all the messed up numbers on yesterday, and they rang up right today.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this issue?

When you tested the coins before and after the update, was that an airtest or buried coins in a coin garden?

My 600 was flipping out (crazy chatter) last weekend. I think it was because EMI interference no matter how many times I noice cancelled, I had to drop the sens down to 10 to get the chatter to quit down.

Also, the strangest thing happened. I didnt know there are 5 depth arrows, I have only seen 4 and figured that meant 8" or more, Each arrow representing 2". The fifth arrow showed up after I installed the new 6" coil then reinstalled the stock coil, very strange. :?:
I did factory reset after installing each coil.

My 600 was flipping out (crazy chatter) last weekend. I think it was because EMI interference no matter how many times I noice cancelled, I had to drop the sens down to 10 to get the chatter to quit down.

Also, the strangest thing happened. I didnt know there are 5 depth arrows, I have only seen 4 and figured that meant 8" or more, Each arrow representing 2". The fifth arrow showed up after I installed the new 6" coil then reinstalled the stock coil, very strange. :?:
I did factory reset after installing each coil.

The manual shows it to have 5 depth arrows, page 35, it will take 10-15 seconds for the manual to load (with my slow connection anyway):
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/4901-0249-4 Inst. Manual, EQUINOX 600 800 EN_WEB.pdf

If you have a NOX, the manual is a must read!

The manual shows it to have 5 depth arrows, page 35, it will take 10-15 seconds for the manual to load (with my slow connection anyway):
https://www.minelab.com/__files/f/326548/4901-0249-4 Inst. Manual, EQUINOX 600 800 EN_WEB.pdf

If you have a NOX, the manual is a must read!

I never saw the 5 arrows, only 4 ever showed up until after I installed the 6" coil, then when

I reinstalled the stock coil I noticed 5 arrows.

I actually have the manual on my phone but keep

forgetting that it is there..... :roll:

Thanks.

Correct.

I bought my 600 in august. Right out of the box is was a killer. loved it.

Then the update came out and the need was justified by coins on edge and half dollars being invisible to the machine.

The update goofed up my machine terrible with many of the same symptoms described above. So I went back to the original program.

In December, after reading many posts about doing an FR before uploading the update I figured let's try it.

Bingo.
I need to try this. My 600 is all jacked up now regardless of which version I’m tunning
Went back to a few well hunted spots and pulled a few "obvious" I should have got those the first time coins.

Just for good measure I did FR, Update, then FR again. The programmed all my favorite fine tuned settings. Back to killing it again and more at ease, I'm probably pulling everything out of the ground now.

Stable VDI
Accurate pinpoint.
Depth meter is better far as I can tell, but I really don't use it that much, I coil lift and listen to the squeal cut out more often than not for depth and accuracy.

I need to try this, my 600 is all jacked up regardless of which version I use! !!!

I'll have to try this with my 800...I didn't do the FR when I did the update...and I sometimes have the described issues

Nox 800 update

Mine came with new program. When I try to do anything with it all it will do is say I’m up to date. Any ideas ?

Try

Mine came with new program. When I try to do anything with it all it will do is say I’m up to date. Any ideas ?

There should be 3 dots at the bottom right of the screen, click on and you should be able to roll back to the old software if you want to give it a try. I have had all the issues mentioned above and then some. I have 2 800s, I run one in 1.50 and the other in 1.75. Sometimes the original seems more stable but not always, and I have found more coins conversely going over the same areas. I have done a lot of head scratchin'. Which is better----the jury is still out. After at least 150 outings with the 800 I can say this, it will definitely let you know when you have a coin-coin sized target, just not too accurate on which coin. Good luck Mark

It all goes back to basics. If it sounds good dig it.

Depth....size.....are reliable with the Equinox. Which coin? Not so much.

Indians for me? Anywhere from 17 to 23.

Wheats? Anywhere in the twenties at one time or another.

Are they close to other metals? Maybe.

All I know is if you hunt by VDI you need to allow for a broad range.

I think we all want the Equinox to do something it isnt capable of doing.

Switching frequencies and all that technical stuff. If I'm not in a well groomed yard I would rather just dig the darn thing up and get it over with. Sometimes something pretty neat pops out.

Back
Top Bottom