Baseball fields? Where do you hunt

L0S3R

Elite Member
So I’m new to baseball field detecting. There’s many around me but never really tried.

I plan on starting but don’t know where to start. Here’s an attached diagram, can you show me where you usually start, how you go about it, where’s usually the best finds?

Please?! Lol

923f44b743172b88eac5746c71b379a9.png

I’d be amazingly grateful.

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

My best luck has always been in left field. Most batters are right handed and a lot of action occurs in left field. Also, shortstop position. I've never found much at the infield areas. GL!

Thanks guys it’s new to me, soccer fields are easy lol

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

I've found gold at shortstop, first base coach area, and deep left/center. That being said, I certainly hunt the spectator areas as well.

Good question. Of course, work any grassy or dirt ground around a concession stand. Check areas from parking area to concessions, and to the bleachers/sidelines. I've gotten decent clad from all around the dugouts; including right in front of them. I, too, have found there are commonly more targets in left field than right field...generally...it seems.

Definitely have a look where the spectators are seated/standing. If there's a change room with a canteen/cafe nearby, then also check there.

I do hunt baseball complexes sometimes. I find the best areas for coins and other finds are the fan seating and concession areas. I have never hunted the actual fields, can get you ousted here unless it's an old field no longer used. I am welcome here to hunt most anywhere and I want things to remain that way.

Everywhere but the diamond and infield. One ball field I found a big silver cross 30 yards outside the 1st base line. Another I found a sterling ring far out in left field. Remember, anything can be anywhere, swing over all you can! If I walked you to some spots here and showed what I dug in that spot you would understand. Spanish silver in a small yard of a small motel, barber half on ground that they had just buried a pipeline last year...right above the pipe! Anything can be anywhere, if you enjoy being out and enjoying yourself, swing on!

It all depends. If it's a groomed field, I stay off the actual field and hit the sidelines...lots of people stand just outside the fence on the sidelines.

Ever hear the saying,”Geez,that guys really out in left field!” There’s a reason for that! Anything CAN be anywhere,but odds are that the majority of it will be left of center,if you split the diamond right down the middle from home plate to deep dead center.
HOWEVER!....those odds may not hold true if everyone for the last 45 years has been hunting left of center! In that case you just have to look around. Sometimes you can only narrow it down so far,then you have to improvise on the fly.

I hunt a lot of baseball fields. I've found more stuff, including rings and pendants, between the baselines and the fence, from maybe 10 yards past the dugout entrance, inwards towards Homeplate. Behind home plate, all the way back to the fence.

Outside the fence, obviously beep the bleacher areas, but also the swathe from the dugout to the outfield fence. I've scouted many of the ballfields when games were happening, to see where people group up, and lots of people avoid the bleachers and bring their own chairs and sit along the sides of the outfield.

I've found that outside of the outfield (not the sides, but the "back" of the outfield) can have stuff to find, too. Mostly in the smaller fields, where getting donked by homeruns is unlikely. There are baseball complexes around me that have 8-10-12 fields of all sizes, and people walk all over the place, so anything can be anywhere.

If there are complexes that are completely fenced around the perimeter with walk-through gates from the parking areas, definitely beep all of the grass strips around the parking area, through the gate, and along the interior fences. I've found more rings along fences than in the middle of areas. My best gold and diamond ring was inches from the fence and within 10 feet of one of those pass-through gates. Two weekends ago, I found a small (5g) 14k wedding band situated just like that at a different complex.

And a word about beeping sports complexes here. If you can see a chain link fence...heck, if you know there is a chain link fence within a mile of you...you will be digging a TON of aluminum fence wire. On the AT Max, most of it will read 66, but depending on the size and shape of the wire, it can read anywhere from 60-70-ish. I usually dig any solid signal above 45, and sometimes anything over 40. I've found some interesting stuff by doing that. An Italian 925 necklace with the 925 cross still attached I found outside the playing area of a soccer field was a jumpy 45-48 signal. Almost didn't dig it, because that is almost always a smallish piece of can slaw.

None of the fields/complexes are over 30 years old or so. I've noticed that my city/county just **loves** putting fill dirt over everything. Somebody in charge of fill dirt probably has a family member in the fill dirt bidness. And people who do ground work apparently eat nothing but Vienna sausages and sardines, because I have dug those empty cans from 15" deep. But they really sound good! Now that I've been beeping about six months, in these fields/complexes, if I can't get a beep from my pinpointer after cutting a small plug, I figure that it is a deep piece of trash, cover it up, and move on.

And, finally, finding keeper stuff is about psychology and probability. If you go watch what happens during games--for baseball, soccer, football, whatever--the fields are large and there aren't that many players in a relatively large area. Outside of the playing area, there are almost always more people in a smaller, better defined area. And all of those people spectating have to be in certain places to spectate successfully. Find those places. And always concentrate on areas that funnel everybody through specific areas, like the outfield fences of side-by-side fields, where people are funneled to access the bleacher areas/concession areas.

Hope that helps some. And pardon the rambling. It was 54 when I got up down here in FL and I am waiting for it to warm up before I head out to beep some baseball fields...

I have had my best luck in a 10 foot band along the grass line that borders the infield between first and second base (the grass side). Also, along the first base line seems to produce.

Be kind - don't hunt the pitcher mound, unless you really want to piss off the groundskeepers.

I hunt a lot of baseball fields. I've found more stuff, including rings and pendants, between the baselines and the fence, from maybe 10 yards past the dugout entrance, inwards towards Homeplate. Behind home plate, all the way back to the fence.

Outside the fence, obviously beep the bleacher areas, but also the swathe from the dugout to the outfield fence. I've scouted many of the ballfields when games were happening, to see where people group up, and lots of people avoid the bleachers and bring their own chairs and sit along the sides of the outfield.

I've found that outside of the outfield (not the sides, but the "back" of the outfield) can have stuff to find, too. Mostly in the smaller fields, where getting donked by homeruns is unlikely. There are baseball complexes around me that have 8-10-12 fields of all sizes, and people walk all over the place, so anything can be anywhere.

If there are complexes that are completely fenced around the perimeter with walk-through gates from the parking areas, definitely beep all of the grass strips around the parking area, through the gate, and along the interior fences. I've found more rings along fences than in the middle of areas. My best gold and diamond ring was inches from the fence and within 10 feet of one of those pass-through gates. Two weekends ago, I found a small (5g) 14k wedding band situated just like that at a different complex.

And a word about beeping sports complexes here. If you can see a chain link fence...heck, if you know there is a chain link fence within a mile of you...you will be digging a TON of aluminum fence wire. On the AT Max, most of it will read 66, but depending on the size and shape of the wire, it can read anywhere from 60-70-ish. I usually dig any solid signal above 45, and sometimes anything over 40. I've found some interesting stuff by doing that. An Italian 925 necklace with the 925 cross still attached I found outside the playing area of a soccer field was a jumpy 45-48 signal. Almost didn't dig it, because that is almost always a smallish piece of can slaw.

None of the fields/complexes are over 30 years old or so. I've noticed that my city/county just **loves** putting fill dirt over everything. Somebody in charge of fill dirt probably has a family member in the fill dirt bidness. And people who do ground work apparently eat nothing but Vienna sausages and sardines, because I have dug those empty cans from 15" deep. But they really sound good! Now that I've been beeping about six months, in these fields/complexes, if I can't get a beep from my pinpointer after cutting a small plug, I figure that it is a deep piece of trash, cover it up, and move on.

And, finally, finding keeper stuff is about psychology and probability. If you go watch what happens during games--for baseball, soccer, football, whatever--the fields are large and there aren't that many players in a relatively large area. Outside of the playing area, there are almost always more people in a smaller, better defined area. And all of those people spectating have to be in certain places to spectate successfully. Find those places. And always concentrate on areas that funnel everybody through specific areas, like the outfield fences of side-by-side fields, where people are funneled to access the bleacher areas/concession areas.

Hope that helps some. And pardon the rambling. It was 54 when I got up down here in FL and I am waiting for it to warm up before I head out to beep some baseball fields...

For a guy who’s been hunting 6 months you clearly have a handle on how to do what you’re doing Steve. This is an excellent post with very good observations. Looking where people “funnel” is one in particular that I always consider,old site or otherwise. VERY well stated all around!

I have had my best luck in a 10 foot band along the grass line that borders the infield between first and second base (the grass side). Also, along the first base line seems to produce.

Be kind - don't hunt the pitcher mound, unless you really want to piss off the groundskeepers.

VERY interesting thread. It seems that everyone has somewhat different experiences. My finds are similar to BottleCapKing in that they have been mostly in the grass just outside the infield dirt, but mine were between 2nd and 3rd base, with a slight preference towards 2nd. What you'd call short field in 10 person softball.
My second best area is left field.
Third best is deep right field and I have no idea why.

I am only talking about the playing area itself- concession stands, bleachers, outside the fence, etc are a different realm imo.

VERY interesting thread. It seems that everyone has somewhat different experiences. My finds are similar to BottleCapKing in that they have been mostly in the grass just outside the infield dirt, but mine were between 2nd and 3rd base, with a slight preference towards 2nd. What you'd call short field in 10 person softball.
My second best area is left field.
Third best is deep right field and I have no idea why.

I am only talking about the playing area itself- concession stands, bleachers, outside the fence, etc are a different realm imo.

+3 on the grass outside the first and home base line. My theory is that's where the gloves come off and go on while coming in and out of the dugout.

Outside of that I find things within 15 feet of the grass line. I can't say that I've noticed more on the second or third base line like the other say so I'll defer to them on that.

For a guy who’s been hunting 6 months you clearly have a handle on how to do what you’re doing Steve. This is an excellent post with very good observations. Looking where people “funnel” is one in particular that I always consider,old site or otherwise. VERY well stated all around!

Right on guys, just like Steve has said DO a little recon work
and pop in while the games are going on. Take note where the
majority of people sit on their lawn chairs. These are most likely
where their parents sat tooo. Same general areas,

Few years ago, I detected a ball field regularly. Had a cement slab
in front of the concession stand. Wouldnt you know it, they were in the middle of replacing it. They just had the old slab up and out and all could think about
were the possibilities! I only found clad......Grrr Anyhow GL DD

Right on guys, just like Steve has said DO a little recon work
and pop in while the games are going on. Take note where the
majority of people sit on their lawn chairs. These are most likely
where their parents sat tooo. Same general areas,

Few years ago, I detected a ball field regularly. Had a cement slab
in front of the concession stand. Wouldnt you know it, they were in the middle of replacing it. They just had the old slab up and out and all could think about
were the possibilities! I only found clad......Grrr Anyhow GL DD
I always think that around concessions stands should be good, but all I ever find is some change and a lot of trash. I don't mind digging up pop tops and bottle caps, it comes with the territory, but I get frustrated when I dig and dig and all I come up with is foil gum wrappers. Maybe I don't know how to work them.

I've found gold at shortstop, first base coach area, and deep left/center. That being said, I certainly hunt the spectator areas as well.

Yes. The perpetual removing of baseball gloves, on-&-off, can create a tugging motion to the wearer's fingers. That can tug on rings they're wearing.

And re.: the Spectator area: Yes, it's bound to have more coins. However, it's also bound to have more aluminum trash. D/t the eating, drinking, and snacking that goes on with spectators. Eg.: tabs for their drinks, foil for the food wrap, etc.... So I would probably high discriminate there, and save my gold-ring hunting for the playing fields, where less eating and drinking is going on. And more "frolicking sports" motions in the field. Vs. Spectator section where persons are parked stationary.

Back
Top Bottom