Yet another Goodwill wall hanger MD

GLASSHOPPER1955

Elite Member
Goodwill find. Anyone know when these came out or if they were any good? It's a BFO type. I saw online that they used 8 AA batts but this one is wired for two 9volts.

At the rate these wall hangers are turning up I may have to put up a new wall to hang 'em on, lol.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 602
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 605
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 545
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 550
Neat find ! …..maybe you could open up a metal detector museum :lol:

Tried to find an online manual, but here is a video of someone using that model -

wall hanger

Goodwill find. Anyone know when these came out or if they were any good? It's a BFO type. I saw online that they used 8 AA batts but this one is wired for two 9volts.

At the rate these wall hangers are turning up I may have to put up a new wall to hang 'em on, lol.

Actually looks like a nice machine for it's time.

Reminds me of the type of stuff Radio Shack used to sell in the late 1970s to early 1980s.

Does it work

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring

Reminds me of the type of stuff Radio Shack used to sell in the late 1970s to early 1980s.

Ah Radio Shack, they are mostly all gone in the north Atlanta area. Used be nice to be able to run down to radio shack and get the resistor or capacitor that you needed. Previous hobby was repairing old 1940's radios. Funny thing, usually the tubes on a 1940's table radio purchased in a garage sale always worked. It was always the paper, wax, foil capacitors that were !!!!. So I learned to keep a stock of capacitors on hand for the typical five tube radio circuits that were in almost every table radio made. The circuit, parts were all the same just different plastic or bakelite enclosures.

Thanks Gary for that video. Looks like it was a good trash finder anyway. I thought there was something wrong with that big dial that adjusts the null point but the video shows it continuously turning also so that must be normal. When you use one of these you quickly realize how much better (and lighter) even cheap detectors are nowdays.

The vid confirms that, yes, it's a wall hanger. And Skippy, I guess I do collect them. I keep bringin' 'em home. :roll: Don't ask me why.

Technology advances so fast it makes older tech obsolete. Just think 10-20 years form now Equinox and Etracs will become obsolete.

I am waiting for technology to advance in the ability to distinguish gold. Once I can know I am digging gold before I dig it I'll drop a grand on a detector.

Technology advances so fast it makes older tech obsolete. Just think 10-20 years form now Equinox and Etracs will become obsolete.

I am waiting for technology to advance in the ability to distinguish gold. Once I can know I am digging gold before I dig it I'll drop a grand on a detector.

Needler, I'm afraid you can't look at the past decades vast-improvements, as a gauge for future decade's speed of improvements.

It was true from 1965 to 1970, then 70 to 75, then 75 to 80, then 80 to 85, and so forth . Every 5 years, or every decade, in those years, saw lightening fast evolution. When I started this, in the mid 1970s as a 14-ish yr. old, you were a dinosaur if you had a machine that was a mere 5 yrs. old. And as soon as you "updated", something new came down the pike where your friends left you in the dust. Doh!

But the same can not be said now. Nor going forward the next 10 or 20 yrs. Stop and think: Machines like the Explorer are approaching 20 yrs. The CZ6 is well over 20 yrs. old now. Various 2 filter Tesoros that some of us reach for in certain hunt locations are well over 20 yrs. old now. The same could not be said of 1985 or 1990-ish.

Why has the speed of evolution slowed down ? Why are some 10 or 15 or 20 yr. old machines equally competitive today ? Because we've reached a point of diminishing returns. We've "pushed the laws of physics" to a certain point. There's only so-much signal you can pump into the ground. And there's only so much info you can "pull back out" of the ground. And no amount of "faster and smaller" (evolution of 'puters) will change this formula. You can not change the laws of physics.

As for ability to tell aluminum apart from gold (on a size per size, TID per TID basis), the technology exists. But you have to wear lead suits, get reams of government clearances, spend millions of dollar for this equipment mounted on a bobcat tractor, and clear all people for a block radius.

The rule should be that they work,you find at least one coin with it and then hang the machine and coin it found together on display. It’s a great idea,the wall hanger thing...

Kellyco in Winter Springs, Fl has a museum with a bunch of old metal detectors hanging on the wall.

Radio Shack ... yuk. But it's what we had, and all used.
Now Allied Radio was where it was at.
As was the street it was located on.
"Electronics Row", as it was known to the locals.
Now those were the Good ol' Days.

Back
Top Bottom