Metal Detecting in Dubai

I got news for you : The same exact laws exist for any speck of public land, and any beach, here in the USA. They're known as "Lost & found" laws (that exist in all 50 states). And/or "cultural heritage" (for some other zones) if you (gasp) found an old coin.

I guarantee you, that no matter where you detect in the USA, if you asked long enough and hard enough, to enough bored bureaucrats and lawyers, that you would find that your activity falls afoul of prohibitions on "harvest & remove" statutes. No different from Dubai.

The only difference is (the reason it can be found on google for Dubai), is that past md'rs, being sincere and well-meaning (no one wants to get their arms chopped off after all), have gone asking bored bureaucrats and border consulates: "Hi, can I metal detect, dig holes, and take things ?". If you asked that question here, you'd get the same answer.

So if this is the type answer that sends an md'r scurrying to report "any significant find", lest they be "stealing", then ... I have to ask: Why did you get into the hobby of md'ing ? Didn't it occur to us that we'd be "taking" things ? That's the whole point of md'ing after all, right ? (Unless you intended to dig it up, look at it, and then re-bury it :?: )

C'mon fellows, stop being your own worst enemy. If no one cares, then no one cares. Why can't THAT be the test of whether or not to detect ? There's not a speck of land on earth, that you detect on, that I can't find some supposed law (if you stood on one foot and squinted real hard) that you are breaking. Let's get serious.

Sure there is. Your own property.

I will chime in. I have a few friends in one of the Toyota Fj Cruiser groups that grew up or lived their for a significant time. They said it is perfectly legal to metal detect on the beaches. They say the ones that discourage it are the ones that do it and do not want competition.

You guys in the West don't know how good you've got it detecting. The places I'm in the east they latch on and do it until it's destroyed.
My old main beach has 25~30 detectors every night all screaming me me me.
I'm pretty sure it the most heavily hunted beach in the world now

These threads always crack me up. Supposedly, if you look around the internet, detecting where i live is controlled by criminal groups who defend their territory, I couldn't have laughed harder when i read that! There is so much bs out there, better to ask if anyone lives there and get their opinion on the subject.

I was merely posting what I came up with online. I'm sure laws do exist here that are similar and like you, I just dont care. However those charged with upholding the law here would most likely also see the obsurdity of said law, I dont quite have as much faith in Dubai givin my limited experience (which happens to be none) so should be taken at face value. I agree with a lot Tom says and a disagree with as much as well.

When taking advice, the guy that has Been There, Done That is worth listening to. The guy who sits back and eggs you on with ZERO local knowledge is someone to be avoided. He gets his jollies by watching others' misfortunes.

And Yeah, these threads are a hoot. Better than watching the monkeys at the zoo in a poo fight.

..... Supposedly, if you look around the internet, detecting where i live is controlled by criminal groups who defend their territory, I couldn't have laughed harder when i read that!.....

I know the country you're speaking of :p And gee, you read it on the internet, so it must be true. Eh ?

Reminds me of a forum discussion once : Someone getting ready to go to one of the Latin American Beach resort zones. A country known to be poorer, 3rd-world, with drug issues, etc... Yet, none-the-less, had some beach resort on a tourist coast section. A well-meaning sincere md'r posted that md'ing would be a serious mistake there. On account of: Certain to-be-mugged, corruption by all officials, drug cartels, blah blah blah.

Obviously they were focusing in on the blight associated with the mental perceptions of this country. Yet oblivious to the fact that the same could be said of New York City : muggings, bad parts of town, corruption/gangs, etc.... Yet nicer tourist spots a mere 30 min. away.

Another person posted that they'd gone there, asked, and were told "no d/t mating sea turtles". (Gee, that's funny, how do throngs of beach goes fill the beach with all other types regular beach activities?).

But gee, can't be too safe. And gee, aren't we glad we asked ?

... I agree with a lot Tom says and a disagree with as much as well.

Ha, ok, thanx. B-Bum. That's what forums are for after all :)

When taking advice, the guy that has Been There, Done That is worth listening to....

What do you do then, if the person who has "been there" (metal detects there without issue) says: "It's no problem". Yet someone who gets on the net, and

A) Finds one of those nifty compendiums that spell something dire. or

B) Someone reports that they asked, and got told "no".

So in that case, based on what you're saying here, that we should go by the person who has "been there and done that", right ? Hence a self-suicide statement you've made. I couldn't have said it better myself :laughing:

I know the country you're speaking of :p And gee, you read it on the internet, so it must be true. Eh ?

Reminds me of a forum discussion once : Someone getting ready to go to one of the Latin American Beach resort zones. A country known to be poorer, 3rd-world, with drug issues, etc... Yet, none-the-less, had some beach resort on a tourist coast section. A well-meaning sincere md'r posted that md'ing would be a serious mistake there. On account of: Certain to-be-mugged, corruption by all officials, drug cartels, blah blah blah.

Obviously they were focusing in on the blight associated with the mental perceptions of this country. Yet oblivious to the fact that the same could be said of New York City : muggings, bad parts of town, corruption/gangs, etc.... Yet nicer tourist spots a mere 30 min. away.

Another person posted that they'd gone there, asked, and were told "no d/t mating sea turtles". (Gee, that's funny, how do throngs of beach goes fill the beach with all other types regular beach activities?).

But gee, can't be too safe. And gee, aren't we glad we asked ?

Ha, ok, thanx. B-Bum. That's what forums are for after all :)
Sometimes there is some truth behind the stories you read on the internet. I've offered anyone coming to Asia to send me a pm before.. We can watch eachothers back.
I could write a book on the beach run ins I've had with both competition and idiots

What do you do then, if the person who has "been there" (metal detects there without issue) says: "It's no problem". Yet someone who gets on the net, and

A) Finds one of those nifty compendiums that spell something dire. or

B) Someone reports that they asked, and got told "no".

So in that case, based on what you're saying here, that we should go by the person who has "been there and done that", right ? Hence a self-suicide statement you've made. I couldn't have said it better myself :laughing:

Why did you leave off the monkey poo fight part of the quote? Hit too close to reality?

Why did you leave off the monkey poo fight part of the quote? Hit too close to reality?

Didn't seem to have anything to do with the conversation/topic at hand. Care to enlighten us ?

I metal detected in Afganistan a few times....damn presure plates and copper wire.... Never got any of the yellow stuff... Not sure of the laws thier but no one ever told me we couldn't md.

Just arrived in Dubai and would love to meet up with anyone here swinging at the public beaches.

Probably pretty rough without any arms. :laughing:

And don't forget the dire warnings here too : If you drive through a national park here, with a detector in the trunk of your vehicle, you will: Get arrested, detector confiscated, jailed, fined, etc... But .... they let you keep your arms here. How do you know all this ? Because you read it right here on the net ! :p

Dubai beaches

Hi Everyone,

I've been here in Dubai for a little while and have connected with some metal detectorists here (although there doesn't seem to be many here). Generally, it seems to be legal (or at least not illegal) to detect on public beaches and I have done so without problems so far. That said, some security or other officials could ask you to leave, especially if they don't understand what you are doing.

The biggest issue I have had is random beachgoers from the Philippines and India following me around wondering what I am doing/what I am finding.

If anyone finds themselves in Dubai and want to check out one of the public beaches, send me a PM.

Back
Top Bottom