• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

ww2 encrypted message found

Karletto

In italian MD community ''we'' found bullet casing with encrypted message inside. :wow: Judging by the date - current month written first, it is believed is american.
People are already on it - decoding with some binary systems, percentage of letters used in you vocabulary... don't ask.
All we know it was written on 18 of august 1944.

Could QM on upper left corner simply mean quatermaster?
And at the end 605YZ/FF could be the time??

any help is appreciated....

2lsi6j5.jpg

16hnnzp.jpg

28ujin8.jpg

149wdgl.jpg

What an awesome discovery!! The number "one" is written more like a European (Germany) would write it. Each block consisting of 5 letters, reminds me of my days when I was stationed in Germany and they would call an alert....you would receive the message in blocks of 5 letters, then use the day's key to decipher. All in all a very cool find!!

yes yes i too noticed each word contains excatly 5 letters
This is going to harder than i thought!

Without the day's decipher code, there is no way to figure it out. The letters wouldn't correspond to actual letters in a word. The code would look something like:

THGFT = Troop Movement
WKKFA = Northeast
HWBGF = Threat Level High

Good luck, tho, you never know!!

It's probably all code, but the date. I'd look for some WWII code info website, or contact US Army signal corps. I hope it was a request for Spam and Lucky's, and not anything vital that didn't get through. Could be important history. That's really a great find!

Blocks of 5 letters remind me of the German Enigma code....

Also the US military annotated their dates with the date first. As in 28 Nov, 1944 (28-11-44). Still do as a matter of fact....

That being said 'QM' would make me think Quartermaster but I can't think of anything 'Quartermastery' that would need to be encoded and hidden in a shell casing.

....ok, that's all ive got.

Congrats! that is an awesome piece of WWII history! hope you can get the codes deciphered. Please keep us updated on any info you find out

An important detail would be to know if this is an american ammo
or not . This detail could tell with some amount of certainty if it was
written by an american or a german ...or italian soldier :?:
Do you have pics from the capsule bottom ?

Back
Top Bottom