A piece of the USS Constitution in Texas

CanSlawCartoons

Found this very heavy little fella in Ft. Worth, TX today.
It measures 1.5" by 1".
Across the top it says "Old Ironsides."
Below it says USN.
Apparently, it is a souvenir made from original copper that was removed from the ship during a restoration. Waiting to hear back from the USS Constitution museum for possible more info.

It is amazing how heavy it is. It was a solid 40 on the Equinox. I thought it was going to be a silver dollar based on the sound and size of the signal. I'm happy it turned out to be something even better!
7cdc672bd151a040a9ffc578533f9e2f.jpg
c3dd081c37b7c172c6805cfb7fa994ff.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Found this very heavy little fella in Ft. Worth, TX today.
It measures 1.5" by 1".
Across the top it says "Old Ironsides."
Below it says USN.
Apparently, it is a souvenir made from original copper that was removed from the ship during a restoration. Waiting to hear back from the USS Constitution museum for possible more info..........

Not sure if you've seen this other example. The question really is when was the particular souvenir design manufactured since the ship has been re-coppered multiple times.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/uss-constitution-ironsides-usn-1810460111

A couple of better pics here...
While it may look like I hit it with a Dremel or something abrasive, I did not. I did nothing more than wipe it with a cloth and toothpicked the dirt off of it.
As I wiped, the copper began shinging thru. I've never had a dug copper item do that.
e3c893e4d412cc94d0abc14bb0a950bb.jpg
5434f021bfcdde6e62ed6c8279f4b11e.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have a token laying around here somewhere that was also made from Constitution copper. It’s about 60 years old. They must have torn that ship apart !

Back
Top Bottom