This will make you throw up...

ollievon

Elite Member
So, with the current situation with the virus I was able to get out of work early last week as spring has finally arrived in upstate NY. I received a permission late last year for a farm field with a house from about the 1850's, so it looked promising. The issue was that the corn had not been cut until very late, and by then it was just far too cold and the snow had started falling, so I decided to wait until spring.

I headed out excited I was going to hit a virgin field and had no idea what to expect. When I arrived I noticed that the owner had clear cut a lot of the brush around the barn area and was replacing roofs on some of the buildings, I also noticed that a contractor was there checking out the buildings when I parked. I went to introduce myself in case he was wondering who I was and what I was doing in the fields, as I approached I noticed that his utility belt was holding an orange Garrett pinpointer...uh-oh, clearly this was not just my permission...drats.

The guy was really nice and we talked about both having a permission, they too had not hit the spot before and we agreed that more the merrier - that's what I do love about this hobby, not too many jerks. I also noticed that he had a NOX and a Minelab Vanquish, and had only been detecting for a year, I've been at this for 20+ years so I felt I had the upper hand at knowing my tones, versus a newbie.

The field was littered with broken blue plate and old, REALLY OLD, bottle shards everywhere, it was nuts. It was also super noisy with iron and whatever else, it was really hard to get a lock on anything - I was using my ML Explorer SE Pro, which has been a pretty solid machine for me, but not this time.

The guy decided to go with the Vanquish just to see what it could do, and the machine KILLED IT, I mean the descrimination was off the charts - he locked on to at least 4 coppers in the first 20 minutes...me zilch. To be honest it was killing me...then all of a sudden he goes "I got silver!", and then asked me if I knew my coins since it did not look like a Reale, am I'm thinking "it's probably a dirty rosie, or maybe a seated or Merc"...but it wasn't...

No, friends what he found was a 1796 Draped Bust Dime...only 22,000 made and the starting price if identifiable starts at $2,500 per Red Book...I wanted to die. I all my years this was the White Whale, THE buckelister of bucketlisters!

I had to be honest with him give him a fist bump on the find, it will be probably be his best find ever. If I had not been there, I would not have believed it.

Attachments

• 1796_obverse.jpg
    1796_obverse.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 806
  • 1796_reverse.jpg
    1796_reverse.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 788
  • red_book.JPG
    red_book.JPG
    120.1 KB · Views: 789
Wow ! Crazy story. There must be more on that site. Stay persistent and your experience will pay off. Good Luck !

Amazing story, glad you got to see that Draped Bust Dime found, and I hope you are able to pull some real goodies yourself!

Congrats to him, but don't be discouraged, let it give you hope that there are other goodies out there to find on that property, maybe not as good, but hey, there just might be !

Ugh your a better man than me :lol: I’d had told him it was a electrical knockout :laughing:

I’d be sniffing every inch of that place as much as possible after that.

excellent story and excellent post ! Thanx for sharing. Nice bust coin !

Great story, and if you couldn't dig it yourself, at least you could see it dug.

Did he indicate he was going to quit his job and go full time detecting? LOL

I feel for ya bro. I couldn't imagine what you just went through. Some other detectorist shows up out of the blue, joins your permission, is a newb, running hot of the shelf detector, and finds a find of a lifetime in front of your eyes. It would have been fine if it was a friend of yours hunting with you, but it's a total stranger. That sucks :(

Good news is, you always have tomorrow---- This should be motivation to you, to go and slay it next time!!

So, with the current situation with the virus I was able to get out of work early last week as spring has finally arrived in upstate NY. I received a permission late last year for a farm field with a house from about the 1850's, so it looked promising. The issue was that the corn had not been cut until very late, and by then it was just far too cold and the snow had started falling, so I decided to wait until spring.

I headed out excited I was going to hit a virgin field and had no idea what to expect. When I arrived I noticed that the owner had clear cut a lot of the brush around the barn area and was replacing roofs on some of the buildings, I also noticed that a contractor was there checking out the buildings when I parked. I went to introduce myself in case he was wondering who I was and what I was doing in the fields, as I approached I noticed that his utility belt was holding an orange Garrett pinpointer...uh-oh, clearly this was not just my permission...drats.

The guy was really nice and we talked about both having a permission, they too had not hit the spot before and we agreed that more the merrier - that's what I do love about this hobby, not too many jerks. I also noticed that he had a NOX and a Minelab Vanquish, and had only been detecting for a year, I've been at this for 20+ years so I felt I had the upper hand at knowing my tones, versus a newbie.

The field was littered with broken blue plate and old, REALLY OLD, bottle shards everywhere, it was nuts. It was also super noisy with iron and whatever else, it was really hard to get a lock on anything - I was using my ML Explorer SE Pro, which has been a pretty solid machine for me, but not this time.

The guy decided to go with the Vanquish just to see what it could do, and the machine KILLED IT, I mean the descrimination was off the charts - he locked on to at least 4 coppers in the first 20 minutes...me zilch. To be honest it was killing me...then all of a sudden he goes "I got silver!", and then asked me if I knew my coins since it did not look like a Reale, am I'm thinking "it's probably a dirty rosie, or maybe a seated or Merc"...but it wasn't...

No, friends what he found was a 1796 Draped Bust Dime...only 22,000 made and the starting price if identifiable starts at $2,500 per Red Book...I wanted to die. I all my years this was the White Whale, THE buckelister of bucketlisters!

I had to be honest with him give him a fist bump on the find, it will be probably be his best find ever. If I had not been there, I would not have believed it.

Yeah, that would have made me sick...

Sorry that happened to you, but at least you got to see it!

Holy Shamoly! Im green with envy looking at it through a computer screen; I can only imagine how you feel seeing it in person. Rest assured that theres more hiding at that site so get after it!!!

At least the guy was polite and appreciative that I knew what it was...it's all for the love of the hobby in the end.

We shared numbers and he apparently has other permissions in the area (of which got me worried since I got a lot too around there...ugh!). I couldn't hate on the guy though, he was clearly having fun and getting a passion for hobby.

Oh, I forgot to add, about 30 minutes later he nailed an 1864 2 cent piece that was in the best shape one could be in, incredible green patina.

It was at that point I got in my truck and drove to the closest liquor store.

At least the guy was polite and appreciative that I knew what it was...it's all for the love of the hobby in the end.

We shared numbers and he apparently has other permissions in the area (of which got me worried since I got a lot too around there...ugh!). I couldn't hate on the guy though, he was clearly having fun and getting a passion for hobby.

Oh, I forgot to add, about 30 minutes later he nailed an 1864 2 cent piece that was in the best shape one could be in, incredible green patina.

It was at that point I got in my truck and drove to the closest liquor store.

Good on you sir for being as nice as you were considering that the guy just got Draped Bust silver on your not-so-exclusive permission; it would have been a totally different matter had he scooped you intentionally or been a jack-aß about it.

I will definitely mirror the sentiment that I've met very few jerks in this hobby (none as of yet) which is definitely a huge step up over many communities.

Hopefully he can get you on some other permissions of his as a consolation!

............It was also super noisy with iron and whatever else, it was really hard to get a lock on anything - I was using my ML Explorer SE Pro, which has been a pretty solid machine for me, but not this time...............

I've only been experimenting with an Explorer II for a month, and I'm sure a few more years of experience might be what I need, but have been swinging it over a wide variety of dirt. I've been doing a lot of side by side comparison over targets before they're dug. So far? The dirt that's super noisy with iron? I'm grabbing the Equinox. I can pick apart A LOT of signals, and very quickly, with it in those conditions.

Under other conditions, the Equinox can't touch the Explorer's ID capabilities, nor can it cut straight through modern trash to hit silver the way the Explorer can. (I can throw the Equinox into 5 kHz to hit some of those targets, but leaving it that way all the time falses high tones too often on mid-conductor trash.)

Anyway, there's got to me more. Get out there and use your experience and patience to grab some coins few other people can.

Back
Top Bottom