Some past finds from our property

Huckleberry

Elite Member
It’s cold, and the snow’s too deep to do anything outside, so I thought I would post a few pics of some of my favorite finds from our property. A little backstory: The original log cabin was built here in the mid 1870‘s. I know that it burned down, but unsure of that date. :?: I do know that the house was built in 1900. I have concluded that the original house built in 1900 consisted of a single room, and it seems that when the owners had a good year, they added on. Hence, the Goodyear House. :lol:

There is a ton of trash in the ground. The usual nails, foil, tabs, and cans, interspersed with lots of iron, large and small. The only coins, besides clad, that I have found are a hand full of wheaties the oldest being 1910, an undated buff nickel, and a one dollar coin from Jamaica that is not old. Don’t know how that got here? No silver??? Yet. But I keep trying.

Anyway, here are some of my favorite past finds from the property, An ax head that was nearly 2 feet deep (I kinda like to think that it might have been used to build the original log cabin.), a bayonet (WW1 British I believe) that was down a foot, an enlisted mans cap device (unknown age), an aluminum navy cig case (WW2 era I think), what is left of a lone rider cap gun (1950‘s), a pair of old padlocks (the brass Yale is from the 30‘s I think), and a small wedge that remains a mystery to me. It is 5 inches long, and one inch square on the big end. I have found a couple others like it that are broken, but have no idea their use or age. Anyone know?

Not really a lot to see, but I keep hoping that someday this property will give up the goods.:lol:

Cool old stuff ! Awesome bayonet ! My guess is the wedges were used to split firewood.

Thanks. My splitting wedges that I use are 2 inches square and 7 inches long. These seem awful small to do any serious splitting with. They almost seem to be "pocket" size for a purpose that is beyond me. :?:

wedge

That wedge looks very much like the one that came with my drill press. There is a slot in the side of the shaft. You insert the wedge in the slot and a tap with a hammer will cause the chuck to fall right out.

Attachments

• wedgea.jpg
    wedgea.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 357
  • wedgeb.jpg
    wedgeb.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 350
Awesome! Your property is the real eldorado for any MD hunter. I envy you so nutritious spot.

Those locks are nice! I dug an old Elgin recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom