An interest in why?

2dragons

Hi people,
I am interested to find out why others are interested in detecting in general. I have taken up this hobby as an interest in finding the million pound gold stash, so I can retire spending my fortune on wine, woman and song and wasting the rest, a bit of exercise (as I am getting fat) and generally a relaxation from daily life/a bit of me time.
What has captured you?

I started metal detecting because my brother and nephew were doing it. I initially just thought of metal detecting as an excuse to spend time with family, but now I'm hooked.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Simply a fun way to get needed exercise since I am retired, I do get exercise doing yard work which I do enjoy doing, but still neat to have a fun hobby that includes exercise also. Kinda like being a kid hunting for "treasure" even if the treasure is just some occasional coins :lol: (and part of the fun is wondering what you might find each new hunt !)

Simply a fun way to get needed exercise since I am retired, I do get exercise doing yard work which I do enjoy doing, but still neat to have a fun hobby that includes exercise also. Kinda like being a kid hunting for "treasure" even if the treasure is just some occasional coins :lol: (and part of the fun is wondering what you might find each new hunt !)

+2 Well said Gary ! :yes:

Same here! Except for the retired part. I'm semi-retired.

An overwhelming curiosity about what,s in the ground and what it can tell me.I,m a hunter at heart and this is just another way to hunt and maybe dig up a little something of value.And it,s fun!

Originally an interest in trying to find old coins & also modern pocket change.
:fmdfwelcome:... from the Land of 10,000 Lakes - Minnesota! :cool3: Happy hunting! :mder:

Last edited:
I like the idea of finding lost coins, relics, and jewelry.
It gets me out of the house and I don't have to think of anything else.

Just got into detecting since I retired 2 1/2 years ago. Originally just looking for old coins but now more about finding 1600's-1700's artifacts and copper coins. The excitement of "never knowing what you will find is my drive" More satisfaction in doing that than just finding boring 1900's silver, although the gold rings I have found are a bonus and keep the wife happy.

Steve

Nervous tick that causes my arm to swing back and forth. Figured I may as well do something useful with it.

I started detecting quite by accident. Back in 2017 I borrowed an old Fisher 1266 from my father in law to look for buried base anchor posts in a softball field. I knew nothing about the machine or its settings other than it beeped when there was metal under the coil. My very first time using it, I found a 14K men's wedding band near the first base anchor. The guy who lost it was probably doing the same thing we were, digging out the anchor posts. I figured if it was that easy to find gold in the dirt, it must be literally laying everywhere. (it's not, I have dug 1 piece of gold for literally every 1000 hours of hunting). I started hunting the local parks, finding lots of clad and buckets of junk. I joined this forum a few months later and realized that the hobby is about so much more than finding buried treasure. I became more interested in finding old stuff, started researching my town's history and quickly became obsessed with finding old coins.(I consider anything older than me as old). I upgraded my detector to an Equinox and never looked back. Every time I dig an old coin or relic, I am transported back in time and I wonder about the circumstances of how it got lost. Digging an example of a coin I have never found before is a uniquely special experience. There is an element of surprise waiting in every hole you dig. I have come to the conclusion that there is no such thing as an ambivalent detectorist. You are either become addicted beyond hope of recovery or you move on and go back to golf, fishing or your model train layout.

Last edited:
I lost my class ring at our local beach as a kid and always wanted to find it. Many many years later I was able to look but alas it is in someone's collection. The beach was totally clean so hunted often.

BCD

The reason I recently got into MDings, was because a bunch of things coalesced at once for me.

1) a MD friend let me use his old Whites Coinmaster to take my grandson treasure hunting. It was my friend's idea after I mentioned I was running out of things to do with my grandson while watching him a few days a week over the summer. We both LOVED the idea of searching for hidden treasures! I ended up buying my friend's unit after justifying it further...

2) MDing was on my bucket list, because I seem to have been blessed with luck by the lost and found fairy with almost a 6th sense. It was one of those desires that I've had for a long time in the back of my mind, and it never went away.

3) I like collecting coins, and appreciate their beauty. Getting serious about coin collecting was also on my bucket list. I want to leave a legacy of value for my family. My first two coins I collected were gifts from my great uncle--Two 1923 Peace Dollars which I still have.

4) I became fascinated with history research during the lockdown, including local.

5.) I moved into a very old farmhouse near a CW battleground and my landlord gave me permission to keep anything I found.

It all came together, made sense and justified the purchase. I began my next big adventure... MDing... which is nourishing my soul in many ways. I have no big expectations. Just grateful for whatever the Universe guides me to resurrect. I LOVE good and interesting surprises too!

MDing seems to always be front and center on my mind now.

I also have a desire to go hunting for gold which has been found in some rivers and creeks a few hours Northeast of me.

Weather or not

My Dad detected in the glory days back in the late 70's and early 80's. When I changed to less stressful job I needed a hobby I could do in most any weather and could do in short spurts or long outings. Also I have interest in old things.

Back
Top Bottom