Hunting with COPD

Cherry Picker

Forum Supporter
Does anyone else have COPD and do a lot of dirt hunting?

I was diagnosed with stage 3 emphysema, with 33% lung function 7 years ago. COPD has no cure and is progressive. It only gets worse, and the most you can hope for is to slow the progression down. It wasn't much of a problem until about 4 years ago. Now I have had to change my detecting to fit my ability. I mostly hunt tot lots because I don't have to bend down and dig I can generally move the fill with my foot and bend down to pick up whatever is there.

During the no school, like now, I used to do a lot of hunting for old coins which generally requires some recovery work. Now I am only good for about 30 minutes to an hour at most of old coin hunting. For you that have this disability, or the like, do you have any tips to keep from running out of breath so quickly?

I worked in healthcare with many copd patients struggling to breath.
Without exception when a copd patient gets short of breath, claustrophobia results. When short of breath and claustrophobic, anxiety is the result.
I always called it the triple whammy.
My suggestion is a ez reach pickup tool in the correct length for your height and reach. Amazon has them in all lengths. The rubber cups allow you to pick up small objects efficiently. The ez reach brand is light.

Does anyone else have COPD and do a lot of dirt hunting?

I was diagnosed with stage 3 emphysema, with 33% lung function 7 years ago. COPD has no cure and is progressive. It only gets worse, and the most you can hope for is to slow the progression down. It wasn't much of a problem until about 4 years ago. Now I have had to change my detecting to fit my ability. I mostly hunt tot lots because I don't have to bend down and dig I can generally move the fill with my foot and bend down to pick up whatever is there.

During the no school, like now, I used to do a lot of hunting for old coins which generally requires some recovery work. Now I am only good for about 30 minutes to an hour at most of old coin hunting. For you that have this disability, or the like, do you have any tips to keep from running out of breath so quickly?
I was diagnosed with COPD and walking pneumonia at the same time a little over a year ago then I caught covid on top of both of those it is a struggle everyday when I first get up, but I refuse to let it stop me from doing what I love to do which is metal detecting, building Gourd Banjos and open back banjos, I also love to do wood working I have built some beautiful tables out of slabs of wood that my wife and I went out and collected and cut the slabs with a Alaskan sawmill, like I said it is a struggle, my father passed away from emphysema several years ago the last 15 years of his life he was bed ridden and had a oxygen tube attached 24/7 it was a terrible thing to watch, my wife and I ride out to different washes and areas on our side by side and detect for gold again I refuse to let it beat me to the point I am just sitting around

I’m sorry to hear about this. Will be praying about it for you. Please be careful, I understand this can be challenging.

Sorry to hear this. Your description is very close to my wife’s COPD and I fully understand your running out of breath. I realize each case and treatment are different for all who are dealing with it…… but I’d like to share a treatment my wife started in Jan/Feb that has been a real game changer, and has greatly improved stamina during the day.
She was having issues with excessive CO2 retention and was prescribed an in-home bi-pap to use 4-6 hours while sleeping…… like I said, it’s been quite the game changer

Might be worth inquiring about?

My dad suffered from it. I remembered he told me he pursed his lips when he exhaled,that it helped him in his later years. Take care.

My dad suffered from it. I remembered he told me he pursed his lips when he exhaled,that it helped him in his later years. Take care.

I use the pursed lips technique when I'm out hunting and it does help. The key is to try and keep your oxygen level (O2) up as high as possible. They say a O2 of 90%-100% is normal. Once you get down in the 80s or lower it is time to start looking at wearing an oxygen rig. I run around 95% around the house and do get down to 93% if I take out the trash.

Out metal detecting when just swinging my O2 is around 93% but when I bend down to recover I have seen it as low as 86%. Once I stand up I must stand there for a while to recover. It is scary having a hard time breathing, but panic makes it worse. I take Xanax to control my anxiety. That is why I'm only good for about an hour in the park, during which I can recover about 4-5 targets. In tot lots, all I have to do is use my foot to move the mulch/sand so I can hunt 4 hours or so and recover many more targets. That is why tot lots are my main hunt now.

Life can change so fast when you get older. That is why I press people to do the things they can while they can. I dreamed of the day I would retire, move to Flordia, and hunt the beach day after day. Now retired I don't see the chance to ever move. But I can hunt anytime I want now if I can afford the gas LOL.

I'm happy. I've been fortunate to find so many great items over the last 50 years. if I never find another keeper I'll still be happy. as long as I can get out and swing.

Back
Top Bottom