Pirate Gold of Adak Island

I was on Adak for 13 months in '70 - '71 I never heard of this tale until reality shows became popular.

I think the most amazing aspect of the who story is that when the two cans of gold coins were discovered by GI's, they were handed in!

how many found and not turned in by troops on remote island.

I think the most amazing aspect of the who story is that when the two cans of gold coins were discovered by GI's, they were handed in!

wonder how many were found and not turned in , gold coins would be easy for them to take with them. :laughing:

I was casualy watching it in the background on Saturday with my 14 year old son. He turns to me and says, "If they're serious treasure hunters, wouldn't thay use something better than an Ace250?"

Last edited:
Just knew tom would be the first to poo-poo this

UUuugghhh, why am I having flashbacks of Oak Island ? Barf :sicknbed: :hide:

Just knew Tom would be the first on here to poo-poo this story,even though gold coins have been recovered by American military service men stationed there and the treasure it self is pretty well documented, as well as the death of the captain wo placed it there. How much of it has been secretly recovered no one knows . How much is still waiting to be found , no one knows. ( except for Tom-in-CA ) Be interesting to see if their search recovers any more tins of gold coins.

Just knew Tom would be the first on here to poo-poo this story,even though gold coins have been recovered by American military service men stationed there and the treasure it self is pretty well documented, as well as the death of the captain wo placed it there. How much of it has been secretly recovered no one knows . How much is still waiting to be found , no one knows. ( except for Tom-in-CA ) Be interesting to see if their search recovers any more tins of gold coins.

Like I said in an earlier post I was on Adak for 13 months. Never heard this "tale" when I was there. Did a good amount of off base camping when not on duty.

Do you have a credible link to a DOD or official document on the coins found during WWII?

Like I said in an earlier post I was on Adak for 13 months. Never heard this "tale" when I was there. Did a good amount of off base camping when not on duty.

Do you have a credible link to a DOD or official document on the coins found during WWII?

no just this from articles , but if your were near the old naval base i guess you were in the general area / Therefore, the first trace of Dwargstof’s prized riches was the supposed can of gold a soldier came across in 1943 while constructing a path within the Adak Navy base during World War II. Another tin was reportedly recovered by a Seabee in a relatively similar fashion back in 1959, yet despite several attempts by many others, no additional piece of his treasure was found. Bet you would of liked to know about it back when you were there . Article on the coins found in 1959 (More coins were found in 1959 by Navy men in the areas. They found $800 in gold coins in rusted tin cans. Although some of the gold coins have been found most of the reported million dollars could still be buried somewhere on Red Bluff Hill on Adak Island in Alaska )

Last edited:
Apparently, the average person cannot detect there now

How Can You Reach Adak Island?
Since Adak Island is located near the westernmost extent of the Aleutian region in Alaska, right in the Bering Sea, it faces harsh winds, extensive cloud cover, and cold conditions — aspects that don’t make travel easy. However, it does have a port as well as an airport, both of which seem well equipped to handle passengers who arrive, whether for personal pleasure or some official purpose.

From what we can tell, as per the last reports, only Alaska Airlines makes two or three flights to Adak Island a week from two specific cities within the state: Anchorage and Dillingham. This means you would first have to find your way to either of these relatively big metropolises before you can even step foot in town. Or, if you have the money, you can always charter a flight. On the flip side, while there don’t seem to be any scheduled cruises to Adak, it might be possible for you to make your own independent arrangements if you wish to reach the wondrous isle by water.

We should mention that the Adak Airport is unusually big and refined for the Aleutian Islands because it was actually built by the Navy for their official air transport when they ran a base in the city. But now, the State of Alaska Department of Transportation has complete control over every single one of its operations, particularly as it has been transformed for public use only. The airport has one active runway and no control towers since it is complete with an Instrument Landing System (ILS), a precision radio navigation system for short-range guidance.

Is Treasure Hunting Legal On Adak Island?

The simple answer is no; any kind of treasure hunting or digging is strictly prohibited by officials anywhere on Adak Island in Alaska. In fact, only members of the expedition team featured in ‘Pirate Gold Of Adak Island’ are allowed to search for Captain Dwargstof’s gold. A significant reason for the same is that the region’s terrain is so dangerous it can result in severe injury or even death if you’re not careful and professional enough. Then there’s also the fact that Adak’s landscape is essentially littered with unexploded ordnance from when the Navy used it as a military post in the 1900s. If you are caught digging, you will be prosecuted.

Yes, "Doubting Thomas" our resident prime minister of truth and legality does
his job quite well,I am impressed. He was even the first one to respond .:yes:
I do apologize for causing him to have flashbacks, becoming bedridden,vomiting and experiencing paranoia.Sorry ,Tom.

How Can You Reach Adak Island?
Since Adak Island is located near the westernmost extent of the Aleutian region in Alaska, right in the Bering Sea, it faces harsh winds, extensive cloud cover, and cold conditions — aspects that don’t make travel easy. However, it does have a port as well as an airport, both of which seem well equipped to handle passengers who arrive, whether for personal pleasure or some official purpose.

From what we can tell, as per the last reports, only Alaska Airlines makes two or three flights to Adak Island a week from two specific cities within the state: Anchorage and Dillingham. This means you would first have to find your way to either of these relatively big metropolises before you can even step foot in town. Or, if you have the money, you can always charter a flight. On the flip side, while there don’t seem to be any scheduled cruises to Adak, it might be possible for you to make your own independent arrangements if you wish to reach the wondrous isle by water.

We should mention that the Adak Airport is unusually big and refined for the Aleutian Islands because it was actually built by the Navy for their official air transport when they ran a base in the city. But now, the State of Alaska Department of Transportation has complete control over every single one of its operations, particularly as it has been transformed for public use only. The airport has one active runway and no control towers since it is complete with an Instrument Landing System (ILS), a precision radio navigation system for short-range guidance.

Is Treasure Hunting Legal On Adak Island?

The simple answer is no; any kind of treasure hunting or digging is strictly prohibited by officials anywhere on Adak Island in Alaska. In fact, only members of the expedition team featured in ‘Pirate Gold Of Adak Island’ are allowed to search for Captain Dwargstof’s gold. A significant reason for the same is that the region’s terrain is so dangerous it can result in severe injury or even death if you’re not careful and professional enough. Then there’s also the fact that Adak’s landscape is essentially littered with unexploded ordnance from when the Navy used it as a military post in the 1900s. If you are caught digging, you will be prosecuted.

In Oct 1970 when I flew out to Adak the first time the only commercial air service was Reeves Aleutian Airways, flying WW2 era twin-prop planes. As you approach the island the first thing you see is the still active volcanic island of Great Sitka.

Then the airstrip comes into view and pushed off to the side is crashed Navy P3 Orion, not a great confidence builder!

We had pretty decent concrete barracks up on Bering Hill, but there were still many WW2 structures in use. Exploring the bunkers was another off duty pastime.

In Oct 1970 when I flew out to Adak the first time the only commercial air service was Reeves Aleutian Airways, flying WW2 era twin-prop planes. As you approach the island the first thing you see is the still active volcanic island of Great Sitka.

Then the airstrip comes into view and pushed off to the side is crashed Navy P3 Orion, not a great confidence builder!

We had pretty decent concrete barracks up on Bering Hill, but there were still many WW2 structures in use. Exploring the bunkers was another off duty pastime.

old world war 2 barracks should mean some silver coins lost and i guess some kind to military trading post to spend your money. :laughing:

I finished the last two episodes today. I did find the series interesting and the reality of it somewhat possible although nowadays probably 99% of the info we are fed is BS anyway.
I don't think there will be another season as I can't see the Navy letting anyone in the restricted area. We may hear future stories of trespassers getting caught or blown up in there though. I was not impressed with the "expertise" of the metal detectorists .

Back
Top Bottom