Cleaning blackened and iron crusted gold

LongJohnSilver1

Elite Member
Hi all,

I often find old gold in the ocean that has a black patina stuck to it, usually associated with being stuck next to a piece if iron. Its like the salt water allows to iron oxide to stick to the lower karat gold.

I've tried vinegar, lemon juice, baking soda, sulphamic acid, clr, ultrasonic cleaning and elbow grease to take it off. Short of damaging the pieces nothing works.

Is there anything else i can try?

You could do it with an industrial ultrasonic, something beefy with industrial transducers and a sweep and degas function. They used to start around $1k, but now there are Chinese offerings that start a little over a hundred, though unsure how long they'll last. I have one that I used to use for my data recovery side hustle cleaning up corroded phones to pull photos. They are ridiculous though, you have to be very careful on timing and not leaving them go too long. For example, if I took a copper penny and dropped it in, a couple minutes too long and it would chew the details right off, so always have to make sure to use the timer and in increments.

SRA Trupower is probably king of the budget industrial ultrasonics, but even the smallest 2L is $175. https://www.sra-solder.com/ultrasonic-cleaners/standard-ultrasonic-cleaners

My experience with ulstrasonic cleaners is they break old 9k rings. I'd be pretty hesistant, I stopped using mine on anything but beach cookie coins

Back
Top Bottom