Very helpful Nox iron and trash tips...

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Watched this vid then went out to the most hunted place I know...my tiny front lawn.
After several years of scouring this tiny patch of land and digging all decent signals I am down to the the odd, weird, strange, severely masked and incomprehensible ones only.
I watched this vid, got inspired, and went out to try to find one decent target using some of his advice...just one.
I didn't do exactly everything I saw done in this vid, my dirt is way weirder than his, but I tried a few things and the most important point I attempted to prove to myself was just slow down...examine targets a bit more closer, don't just blow off jumpy signals or others that don't make sense.
Not that I really ever do but on this hunt I looked at each signal I got with a more critical eye and attitude than usual.
Could still be junk hiding down there, could be wasting a bit more time over some iffy targets but none of my hunts are timed events, I just go out and get signals and decide whether to dig....or not.
If it takes a little more time to figure out a confused signal, site or situation so be it.
The rewards for extra patience might be nothing but maybe, just maybe...they could be great.

My Nox had the sniper mounted, I did a factory reset before the hunt to start with a clean plate and didn't modify too many of the factory settings.
I hunted in 5 tones, Park 2, usually I use Field 2 but changed it up a bit on this one....I left the horseshoe on through most of this short hunt.

Fe was at 6, recovery at 5, switched to Fe2 after awhile and eventually maxed it out along with the recovery but didn't find much else after these four targets showed up.

It wasn't all peaches and cream, I still got fooled on a couple of rusty nails and a few small and crazy tiny pieces of iron but not all that much, dug very little trash that wasn't iron so I was happy with that.
The 1953 nickel was the absolute first target dug, short, sweet, jumped a bit from 11-13 and a bit iffy unlike most of my nickel signals but when this thing popped up first thing I was shocked and thrilled.
The lead hem weight was an older one, #4, nice and heavy and really jumpy initially but solid once I dialed the coil into its location.
The dime is modern but hiding in a tiny crack vertical between the grass and the curb.
The older Naval button was the prized treasure of this hunt, the only one I have ever found.
Faces to the left so pre WW ll as they changed the eagle from looking left in 1941 to looking to its right.
Don't believe civil war and could be anywhere from 1850 to 1941...but I am thinking maybe around or a bit later than WW l on this one.
Mower hit but sweet find never the less.

Kept switching between 4kHz and multi checking out many targets, other frequencies too, I still don't see a whole lot of advantage to me in my sites using 4kHz or any other single frequency but I still switch to them to check some signals and will continue to do that until I see something positive or just lose patience and give up.

Basically, my point of this post is just to urge you to look a bit closer at some of your signals, with a bit of extra attention and coil manipulation signals can change from initially good to bad or, hopefully, from initially bad to good.
Also to thank this hunter for taking the time to make this vid and seeing his thought process, experience and skill on display.
If any of us take just one thing, idea or insight from watching the vid that could make a difference for any of us even in just one stellar piece of future treasure it will be 49 minutes well spent.

Attachments

• photostudio_1597754704522.jpg
    photostudio_1597754704522.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 751
Last edited:
Those are some really great finds Digger27. In your dirt which I know well, being originally from NW Georgia, targets can be easily masked just by the mineralization.

Interesting detector user in the video. Personally, I am not very impressed. To say that a target "fools" the Equinox in single frequency or multi frequency..............according to what or whom. There is nothing published that definitively says a modern nickel for instance is exactly 13 and only 13 and that a beaver tail or modern pull tab are only 12, 13, 14. So many variables can happen. I have also dug plenty of gold rings that did not have stable numbers. Some 14Ks have been 11,12,13 or 12, 13, 14 and sounded almost like a modern aluminum pull tab except for the length of the signal and how the edges of the tones sounded. Trying to avoid digging trash is always iffy but it has been my experience that I just have to walk over a lot of possible gold/nickel signals when there is a sea of aluminum trash and try to pick out the "best" sounding signals from experience. The entire +8 to +22 target ID range has plenty of overlap between lead, nickel, gold, aluminum, brass and copper. The good thing is that in Multi Frequency on really bad dirt, the Nox will tell me definitively that the target is either a low to mid conductor no matter how deep it is if the numbers are 8 to 22 unless I am lazy and hunt without the horseshoe button engaged and then I can throw in falsing iron too. Oh well........

I would say that if an experienced Equinox user encountered most of those targets in Multi frequency and really listened, the audio is very telling. Not always, but most of the time just the audio in detect mode will be different with for example, a modern pull tab (not a beaver tail), a similar sized piece of aluminum can slaw, a gold ring, and a modern jefferson nickel. The aluminum targets in my moderately to high mineralized dirt using Park2, 5 tones at 6" or less will usually have a much broader or longer toned report, the gold rings in the 11 to 18 range will have a very rounded consistent sound with clear separation between the tones on sweeps and modern nickels will have an even shorter almost abrupt percussive sound to them. Of course, soil dampness, target orientation and mineralization/co-located targets can influence things, but all the attention he was paying to the target ID numbers, depth arrows and switching frequencies just proves to me that there are many ways to detect and some that I would not enjoy. I usually just stay in multi, I use the pinpoint function to size and further analyze the audio differences between aluminum and other targets, and only use single frequencies as an alternate target check or in fierce EMI. The Nox will not go any deeper in single frequency unless EMI is over powering. It was designed to operate the best in Multi Frequency mode both for depth and target ID stability.

Well done Digger! That is a HUGE key...”none of my hunts are timed events”.

Well said in its entirety Jeff!

I would not have used a 15" coil nor the 15kHz frequency for benchmark-testing. I will say, I was good at guessing the targets when Multi mode was switched on. Beavertail and then the aluminum junk, even the iron nails. Well, I didn't shout out "nail", but I felt iron.

What silver stamp showed on the ring? That one fooled me.

Well done Digger! That is a HUGE key...”none of my hunts are timed events”.

Well said in its entirety Jeff!

Thanks!

Those are some really great finds Digger27. In your dirt which I know well, being originally from NW Georgia, targets can be easily masked just by the mineralization.

Mineralized dirt and way too much iron...nails, screws and tons of bits and bobs from so small and thin I couldn't see or find them without my pinpointer to bigger.
Considering the amount of times I have hunted this postage stamp sized lawn with 6 different detectors and who knows how many different coils if I find ANYTHING here that is not iron or junk I usually am shocked.

Interesting detector user in the video. Personally, I am not very impressed. To say that a target "fools" the Equinox in single frequency or multi frequency..............according to what or whom. There is nothing published that definitively says a modern nickel for instance is exactly 13 and only 13 and that a beaver tail or modern pull tab are only 12, 13, 14. So many variables can happen.

I agree...it is nice to see familiar behavior but I assume nothing out there.
I have seen way too much to believe absolutely everything...or even most things in my strange dirt.

I have also dug plenty of gold rings that did not have stable numbers. Some 14Ks have been 11,12,13 or 12, 13, 14 and sounded almost like a modern aluminum pull tab except for the length of the signal and how the edges of the tones sounded. Trying to avoid digging trash is always iffy but it has been my experience that I just have to walk over a lot of possible gold/nickel signals when there is a sea of aluminum trash and try to pick out the "best" sounding signals from experience. The entire +8 to +22 target ID range has plenty of overlap between lead, nickel, gold, aluminum, brass and copper. The good thing is that in Multi Frequency on really bad dirt, the Nox will tell me definitively that the target is either a low to mid conductor no matter how deep it is if the numbers are 8 to 22 unless I am lazy and hunt without the horseshoe button engaged and then I can throw in falsing iron too. Oh well........

I would say that if an experienced Equinox user encountered most of those targets in Multi frequency and really listened, the audio is very telling.

Again agree.
Multi works best here in my soil and sites.
I have tried 4-5-10...all of them up to 40, no advantage noticed so far in any of them but the unmasking properties of Multi helps me out the most since I got the Nox...I believe.
Around here depth is way down the line in importance...for me it is all about unmasking and all these targets were found using Multi and all were obviously masked to the hilt or I would have found them way before this.

He has other, newer vids where he switches to 4 to compare signals to Multi, he did this before 4 became available.
Not my thing but he thinks it helps and he finds some cool stuff in hunted out parks so more power to him if it works for him.

Not always, but most of the time just the audio in detect mode will be different with for example, a modern pull tab (not a beaver tail), a similar sized piece of aluminum can slaw, a gold ring, and a modern jefferson nickel. The aluminum targets in my moderately to high mineralized dirt using Park2, 5 tones at 6" or less will usually have a much broader or longer toned report, the gold rings in the 11 to 18 range will have a very rounded consistent sound with clear separation between the tones on sweeps and modern nickels will have an even shorter almost abrupt percussive sound to them.

Yea, I have switched between Park, Field and the rest plus all the tone selections and have all kinds of custom programs I have tried both logical and way outside the box combinations.
https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=266069

If you change one thing sometimes other changes happen like the pitch or tone duration over targets.
For me I stick it in Field 2 mostly, 5 tones and maybe mess with the iron bias and/or recovery but this basic setup is most familiar to me and seems to be very productive.
For unusual site conditions I can see some bigger changes could help from time to time but I don't need to be familiar with every setting and behavior possible, I just need to be confident in what I use at the moment and since I have used my basic settings the most those are what I go with...usually.
I still experiment here and there with outside the box thinking and settings since I enjoy that but the basics still work more often than not.

Of course, soil dampness, target orientation and mineralization/co-located targets can influence things, but all the attention he was paying to the target ID numbers, depth arrows and switching frequencies just proves to me that there are many ways to detect and some that I would not enjoy. I usually just stay in multi, I use the pinpoint function to size and further analyze the audio differences between aluminum and other targets, and only use single frequencies as an alternate target check or in fierce EMI. The Nox will not go any deeper in single frequency unless EMI is over powering. It was designed to operate the best in Multi Frequency mode both for depth and target ID stability.

Last edited:
Congrats on the finds! Very good tips Digger. Thanks!

Thanks...just a reminder that things aren't always what they seem at first blush.
Just bored because the heat is sidelining me lately, any hunt where I can get out even for a short time and I find anything that isn't trash or garbage is a great one at this time of the year.

Last edited:
I would not have used a 15" coil nor the 15kHz frequency for benchmark-testing. I will say, I was good at guessing the targets when Multi mode was switched on. Beavertail and then the aluminum junk, even the iron nails. Well, I didn't shout out "nail", but I felt iron.

What silver stamp showed on the ring? That one fooled me.

It's just the way he does things, one way by some hunters might be totally incomprehensible to another but that thing about turning and checking targets out from different directions is something I do and can be very helpful.

The silver ring, which I assume is silver because he said it was, was a nice find.

It's just the way he does things, one way by some hunters might be totally incomprehensible to another but that thing about turning and checking targets out from different directions is something I do and can be very helpful.

The silver ring, which I assume is silver because he said it was, was a nice find.

The 19 vdi on the ring, using the 15kHz, would make the Vdi in Multi, so low for a silver ring. Did I miss seeing the Vdi after switching to Multi, or was that test left out on the ring find? About the frequency. Seems like 7.5k would make more parallel testing than 15 would. Those numbers bouncing high a lot just seems distracting. Multi always settled with both Vdi and Tdi.

It really is a well done video though. I watched it all. Thanks

The 19 vdi on the ring, using the 15kHz, would make the Vdi in Multi, so low for a silver ring. Did I miss seeing the Vdi after switching to Multi, or was that test left out on the ring find? About the frequency. Seems like 7.5k would make more parallel testing than 15 would. Those numbers bouncing high a lot just seems distracting. Multi always settled with both Vdi and Tdi.

It really is a well done video though. I watched it all. Thanks

It could be the crushed shape had something to do with the low VDI, or just the small size or the way it was laying in the dirt.

I leaned a lesson on this silver ring years ago, one of my all-time favorite silver ring finds.
In the dirt it was a slightly bouncy zincoln low 60's on my F70.
Totally crushed in the middle till each side was touching and looked like a figure eight...kinda duplicated two very large links in a big chain and we all know, or should know, eddy currents coming off of chain links mess with most detectors and among other things usually come in lower than you would think.
Out of the ground I passed it over the coil from every direction possible and never could get anything but those low 60's on every pass so confusing because it was definitely silver, marked 925 and very thick.

At home I used my mandrel to open it back up into a round ring shape and it turned back into a much more normal close to 80 quarter signal from every direction.

Attachments

• photostudio_1597784135780.jpg
    photostudio_1597784135780.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 692

Definitely Digger27, on any questionable deeper target, I always change directions by 90 degrees and rescan. That isn't necessary on shallower targets with the Equinox.

Sorry I somewhat bad mouthed the video makers techniques a bit. I just really trust the simultaneous multi frequency search modes employed on the Equinox. They have made metal detecting (at least in my bad dirt) really fun and very productive again whereas the single frequencies make low and mid conductor target identification just as unstable and unpredictable in my dirt as every other single frequency detector I have ever used here.

Definitely Digger27, on any questionable deeper target, I always change directions by 90 degrees and rescan. That isn't necessary on shallower targets with the Equinox.

Sorry I somewhat bad mouthed the video makers techniques a bit. I just really trust the simultaneous multi frequency search modes employed on the Equinox. They have made metal detecting (at least in my bad dirt) really fun and very productive again whereas the single frequencies make low and mid conductor target identification just as unstable and unpredictable in my dirt as every other single frequency detector I have ever used here.

When we planned on moving back here from Kansas I just about cried, I remember what it was like because I started my career here and after experiencing what hunting in beautiful, low mineralized rich black dirt was like I got very depressed.
Pitiful depth, masking challenges beyond belief, way more iron than normal all added up to way less satisfying and less successful time than any hunt I had in Kansas or Missouri dirt.
I seriously thought about getting a TDI pulse induction detector for a good long while but digging tons of trash is something I hate doing most of all and without any decent discrimination I realized I would have grown to hate that thing in a very short time if I used it anywhere around here.
Luckily, I had gotten pretty good with the F70 out west and when I returned I vowed to use that thing and all its behaviour I learned and possible settings until I could unlock the mysteries of my devil dirt...or die trying.
I used a low end Bounty Hunter, an F2, a Vaq and a Compadre here in the past and did okay but nowhere near the easy success I had out west with most of the same detectors...but I never used the F70 here.
It took months but eventually I learned to get deeper here with that thing, learned to deal with the masking better than ever and got way more successful than I thought was even possible and I was happy.
Then a friend got a Nox and I saw what it could do in this difficult situation.
This thing wasn't even on my radar but one hunt seeing how well it worked and I knew I had to get one.
As good as I was with that F70 the things it could do here were like magic, I could have continued on with just the Fisher and been happy but what the Nox could do in the unmasking department was unreal and just way more easier and effortless than any other tool I had used, or had seen used, around here in the past.
It's not just the multiple frequencies either but the new tech and the WAY it used those frequencies.
I have a friend that used an E Trac and hunted a lot with him and saw others use that detector here also...not impressed at all with its ability to unmask here or the depth it could hit in my strange dirt.
Multi Q is NOT FBS...I have no idea of all the differences between them but all I know is one works crazy well here and the other didn't work close to the same.

Like you my Nox opened up my sites again, made hunting more enjoyable and upped my game and success rate to even higher regions than I thought possible here in the SE. dirt.
I still use my F70 here and there, a Mojave and a Compadre too because they are all too much fun to retire forever and I still find great things with all of them but when it counts...and I want to hunt in the easiest most efficient way possible, the Nox gets the call.
Every time.

Last edited:
I remember what it was like because I started my career here and after experiencing what hunting in beautiful, low mineralized rich black dirt was like I got very depressed.
Pitiful depth, masking challenges beyond belief, way more iron than normal

I feel your pain! Hunting in that low mineralized rich dark soil is like heaven compared to this horrid clay-dirt we deal with here in the SE. :(

I feel your pain! Hunting in that low mineralized rich dark soil is like heaven compared to this horrid clay-dirt we deal with here in the SE. :(

Yep, I was seriously depressed because I knew what was waiting for me back here.
Hard to go from hell to heaven and then back again but I had no choice so what was I gonna do, cry about it, quit detecting or just suck it up and deal?

At one of my Kansas club's winter meetings I volunteered to talk about one subject and I picked hunting in heavy mineralization and severe iron infested sites.
I attempted to explain to them how bad it was to hunt here compared to hunting in that part of the country.
Most of them never experienced anything like what we go through, most never hunted anywhere except in beautiful, lush, rich black soil.
Honestly, I don't know if a lot of them really understood what I was saying or got it.
My last comment at the end of my talk was for every one of them to thank any metal detecting God they knew of because of the luck, privilege and opportunities they had to live and hunt in that area of the country.

By the way...I love watching your vids.
Make many more, please!

Last edited:
Yep, I was seriously depressed because I knew what was waiting for me back here.
Hard to go from hell to heaven and then back again but I had no choice so what was I gonna do, cry about it, quit detecting or just suck it up and deal?

At one of my Kansas club's winter meetings I volunteered to talk about one subject and I picked hunting in heavy mineralization and severe iron infested sites.
I attempted to explain to them how bad it was to hunt here compared to hunting in that part of the country.
Most of them never experienced anything like what we go through, most never hunted anywhere except in beautiful, lush, rich black soil.
Honestly, I don't know if a lot of them really understood what I was saying or got it.
My last comment at the end of my talk was for every one of them to thank any metal detecting God they knew of because of the luck, privilege and opportunities they had to live and hunt in that area of the country.

By the way...I love watching your vids.
Make many more, please!

I don't get the privelage of hunting that good soil very often but man it sure does spoil ya! On the few times I have hunted it, I was absolutely amazed at the kind of depth I was getting on coin sized targets. Like you mentioned, a lot of the places we hunt around here are so mineralized and masked with so much iron that you can't even hear some targets just an inch or two beneath the surface.

I appreciate the comment on the videos and thanks for watching! I have another one coming this afternoon. Nothing too spectactular but I did score a big silver next to a sidewalk and a few other old doo-dads.

I don't get the privelage of hunting that good soil very often but man it sure does spoil ya! On the few times I have hunted it, I was absolutely amazed at the kind of depth I was getting on coin sized targets. Like you mentioned, a lot of the places we hunt around here are so mineralized and masked with so much iron that you can't even hear some targets just an inch or two beneath the surface.

I appreciate the comment on the videos and thanks for watching! I have another one coming this afternoon. Nothing too spectactular but I did score a big silver next to a sidewalk and a few other old doo-dads.

We had great end of the year annual hunts when I was in the club back then, a very fun 3 day event with all kinds of fun things, great food and a fantastic seeded hunt where I used a Compadre and won a ton of great prizes.
One time one of the members dug up a small section of the property we used and planted a coin garden with dimes starting at 4" and went all the way up one inch at a time all the way up to 13" .
We all know that freshly turned dirt isn't the same as settled, compacted dirt in the field but he thought it would just be cool for a little space the members could use to test all the different detectors just for fun.
I tried my F2 with the standard 8" coil...it easily got to 9" and still kinda hit the 10" coin here and there .
My 7" coil Compadre had no trouble seeing the 8" dime and still sounded off on the 9" dime on most passes.
When I pulled out my F70 and the 11" DD I went all the way up the line to the 13" dime and I was smacking it easily in disc in 4H tones and I was not using headphones.
The guy that built the garden was standing around the vicinity at the time I was doing this and he heard the consistent, clear high tone on the 13" coin every time I swept over it.
He came over and watched me, he was watching different members try their luck on this thing all day and he told me he noticed nobody else hit the 13" dime like that with any detector.
He was pretty amazed, he was an AT Pro owner and very good and successful with it too but within two weeks he was a proud owner of a brand new F75.
Guess why he decided to do that.

Back here those exact same detectors lost about 4-6" of depth on reasonable sounding dime targets if not more.
Pitiful depth indeed.

Last edited:
Watched this vid then went out to the most hunted place I know...my tiny front lawn.
After several years of scouring this tiny patch of land and digging all decent signals I am down to the the odd, weird, strange, severely masked and incomprehensible ones only.......

Thanks for sharing that, it's encouraging to know that even after years of hunting your own yard you were still able to uncover some neat finds !!!! :thumbsup:

I thought maybe I had found most of the good finds (by good I mean non-trash :lol:) in my own yard already, but after seeing your thread I still have hope :lol:

After hitting my yard pretty good after I first got my detector I usually reserve any further hunts in my own yard for times when I have to scratch the detecting itch :lol: but don't have time to run to a hunt elsewhere or if I need to stay home that day. (hey, detecting your own already hunted yard is better than not detecting at all :lol:)

......anyhow, now you got my hopes up that I can still find at least a few more non-trash items in my own yard :lol:

Thanks for sharing that, it's encouraging to know that even after years of hunting your own yard you were still able to uncover some neat finds !!!! :thumbsup:

I thought maybe I had found most of the good finds (by good I mean non-trash :lol:) in my own yard already, but after seeing your thread I still have hope :lol:

After hitting my yard pretty good after I first got my detector I usually reserve any further hunts in my own yard for times when I have to scratch the detecting itch :lol: but don't have time to run to a hunt elsewhere or if I need to stay home that day. (hey, detecting your own already hunted yard is better than not detecting at all :lol:)

......anyhow, now you got my hopes up that I can still find at least a few more non-trash items in my own yard :lol:

I never subscribed to the idea that any site is ever really totally hunted out.
Not the sites I was warned off of by a few well meaning hunters I talked to that had supreme confidence that they and their buddies found it all after hunting certain public sites over and over, not sites I have hunted myself dozens of times, not even my tiny front lawn where I haven't dug anything good in a long time...before this hunt.
There might be very few good targets at any particular well hunted site but absolutely none...I don't buy it.
Too many variables that can come into play.
Direction of your coil coming at a target, moisture levels, detector settings, EMI issues and more.
Every hunt is a new hunt, on every visit it is a reset and every site has the possibility of success on any given day.
Maybe it's just my cheery attitude talking but I have found good targets way too many times at totally scoured sites to think any differently.

I never subscribed to the idea that any site is ever really totally hunted out.
Not the sites I was warned off of by a few well meaning hunters I talked to that had supreme confidence that they and their buddies found it all after hunting certain public sites over and over, not sites I have hunted myself dozens of times, not even my tiny front lawn where I haven't dug anything good in a long time...before this hunt.
There might be very few good targets at any particular well hunted site but absolutely none...I don't buy it.
Too many variables that can come into play.
Direction of your coil coming at a target, moisture levels, detector settings, EMI issues and more.
Every hunt is a new hunt, on every visit it is a reset and every site has the possibility of success on any given day.
Maybe it's just my cheery attitude talking but I have found good targets way too many times at totally scoured sites to think any differently.

I pretty much agree that it's very unlikely for any site to be 100% completely hunted out (maybe not impossible, just very highly unlikely :lol:)

Anyhow, some sites might get to where they might have so few non-trash finds left it might take a while to find them :lol:

But I keep the same positive attitude where I always hope my next hunt will have at least one really good find, but still really enjoy the hunt anyhow even if I only find a regular nickel and some pennies. :lol:

Now finding a really good find might make it even more fun :lol:, but if not it's still fun regardless :lol:

How to avoid digging trash and iron with the Equinox

DIGGER27, that is actually my video you shared. Thank you so much! I don't suppose you also saw the blog post I wrote on it? It's in the 'description' section of the video you shared but here is the link:
https://nwdetectors.com/blogs/news/how-to-avoid-digging-iron-trash-with-the-minelab-equinox-800

I haven't visited this forum in a long time and just happened to stumble upon your shared post so thank you.
This method won't help you eliminate all trash, but just avoid digging a ton of bottle caps and aluminum. It will also give you more insight into what's under your coil and you will begin to be able to call out what your targets are more easily:)
That said, in the video you see me dig a buffalo nickel, then the signal directly after that sounds exactly the same, but it's a piece of aluminum. I clearly state in the video and the blog article that not all aluminum is unavoidable.
For those who tried my method, you would know that pull tab signals are the signals that single frequency and multi-frequency AGREE on. Meaning they report very similar TID numbers. So, when I'm digging for gold jewelry, you'd better believe I'm digging a ton of pull tabs nickels, and larger chunks of aluminum. But I do eliminate a lot of aluminum, which saves me time and energy.
Jumpy signals are not bad at all, most signals will jump some. However it is the signals that make huge jumps in the range of 15-20+ TID points that reveal that they are mostly trash. You have to watch 'how' the signal is jumping. Is it jumping gradually, or dramatically? This can reveal a lot about what the target is.
For instance, let's say you were hunting and you had a signal that jumped from the mid-20's TID numbers to the high teens and back again. So it would go something like: 24, 16, 25, 16, 22, 17, 24, 15, 23, 18, 24, 16 etc.. I have personally found those signals are almost always irregular pieces of copper, brass, pewter, and occasionally rebar. In this case you will notice the TID numbers do not fall directly next to each other when they jump the way a penny does for instance, there is a gap to the jumps every time, this is a big giveaway that it is possibly one of the alloys that I stated above, but most likely not a coin.
Now, lets say you get a signal that is in the TID 20's range in single frequency, and you switch to multi-frequency and it drops below 10. That is almost aways a bottle cap (watch the video). Twist off caps are unfortunately unavoidable, but I avoid digging hundreds of bottle caps with this technique.
For those who say "but you'll miss a masked target if you don't dig bottle caps". Not if you are using your tools correctly. I can usually tell by the TID numbers, the sounds, and switching between multi and single frequency if there are two targets under the coil, it takes some training, but the Nox does a great job of letting you know.
I specifically love this technique because it allows you to take off all the discrimination (FE F2), keep your iron volume on, use a lower recovery speed, and use your mind as the biggest discrimination tool without losing depth.
I have three depth test videos, and in all of them I proved to myself that FE, F2, and higher recovery speeds would only inhibit the processor of the detector.
I saw the same pattern when I began to use the XP Deus 2.
In fact, I actually recently published a video with the XP Deus 2 on the same subject, using single and multi-frequency to help better understand the nature of your targets, and separate trash from treasure. I will also be doing one with the Nokta Legend as well soon.
I hope this technique helps more people like you, thank you again for sharing and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom