My thoughts on the XP Deus 2 after 50 hours.

Something I should’ve mentioned as a negative in my original review is the coil charging clip. It sucked on the original Deus and it sucks on the D2. I don’t like it for a few reasons: 1) It gets hung up on the lip of the coil cover. 2) It’s finicky about making a good connection. Especially if the coil has a little dirt on it. 3) If you use a coil balancer like I do, it’s difficult to get the charging clip on due to the cable being plugged into the side.

I recently picked up one of these from DetectingDoodads.com:

1c3086be311f877ab7517817787ec0d6.jpg

It solves all of the issues with the OEM clip. Goes on easy, makes good connection, and has the cable plugged in from the top. Money well spent!

Makes me wonder why XP doesn’t use a better design like this one. I guess for the same reason they don’t include a functional stand or a center mounted coil. It’s a great detector, but I think the designers missed the boat on a few things.

Anyway, D2 silver update: 10 more since my last post bringing my total to 65 FTY.

d6648aa82c60dc748effca5ab3bda0f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As a coin shooter, it's important to get an accurate ID on what's beneath your coil. Over the past few months, here's a few things I've picked up on:

For whatever reason, the D2 tends to up-average the ID on copper memorials more than any other coin. There is a way to tell when it's up-averaging. Circle the target while continuously scanning it. Pay attention to the ID. When it's up-averaging, the ID will usually drop a few points as you turn on the target. The lowest ID shown is the actual ID.

For example, you get a signal showing 93, then you circle it and you start seeing some 89's and 90's. Most likely a copper penny.

You can also tell other coins apart by using this method. Using the Fast program, or my Silver Slayer program, if you get a signal that reads mostly 91-92 with the occasional 93 showing up as you circle, good chance it's a silver dime. If you see mostly 90-91 and it never dips into the 80s, most likely a clad dime. If you see 90-91 with the occasional 89, its most likely a copper penny. Of course a worn dime can read lower. The soil type and base program being used can also change this by a couple of digits, but once you figure out where coins are reading with your program in your soil, the method still applies. Its not always 100% perfect, but it helps if you're cherry picking.

This will probably be my final update to this review. Hopefully I've made it as complete as possible from a dirt hunter's point of view.

For anyone who doesn't want to spend time scrolling through all the pages to find info, I have an article published on ModernMetalDetectors.com which summarizes everything I've posted throughout this thread over the last few months. Here's the link:

The XP Deus II for U.S. Coin Shooting? You Bet!

Since my last post, I've found another 16 silvers bringing my total to 81 FTY.
That's from about 7 months of using this detector. I'm hoping to hit 100 silvers with the Deus 2 before the end of the year, but I have a Manticore ordered and will start using it as soon as it arrives regardless if I reach 100 or not.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 330
As a coin shooter, it's important to get an accurate ID on what's beneath your coil. Over the past few months, here's a few things I've picked up on:

For whatever reason, the D2 tends to up-average the ID on copper memorials more than any other coin. There is a way to tell when it's up-averaging. Circle the target while continuously scanning it. Pay attention to the ID. When it's up-averaging, the ID will usually drop a few points as you turn on the target. The lowest ID shown is the actual ID.

For example, you get a signal showing 93, then you circle it and you start seeing some 89's and 90's. Most likely a copper penny.

You can also tell other coins apart by using this method. Using the Fast program, or my Silver Slayer program, if you get a signal that reads mostly 91-92 with the occasional 93 showing up as you circle, good chance it's a silver dime. If you see mostly 90-91 and it never dips into the 80s, most likely a clad dime. If you see 90-91 with the occasional 89, its most likely a copper penny. Of course a worn dime can read lower. The soil type and base program being used can also change this by a couple of digits, but once you figure out where coins are reading with your program in your soil, the method still applies. Its not always 100% perfect, but it helps if you're cherry picking.

This will probably be my final update to this review. Hopefully I've made it as complete as possible from a dirt hunter's point of view.

For anyone who doesn't want to spend time scrolling through all the pages to find info, I have an article published on ModernMetalDetectors.com which summarizes everything I've posted throughout this thread over the last few months. Here's the link:

The XP Deus II for U.S. Coin Shooting? You Bet!

Since my last post, I've found another 16 silvers bringing my total to 81 FTY.
That's from about 7 months of using this detector. I'm hoping to hit 100 silvers with the Deus 2 before the end of the year, but I have a Manticore ordered and will start using it as soon as it arrives regardless if I reach 100 or not.

Good observations Rattle! From my experience with the D2, you are spot on with those numbers. The D2 is a great coinshooter!

It sure is NC. Just a year ago, I never would've believed that an XP detector could replace my CTX for coin shooting.

I'm finding the same thing - just got back from a week hunting in the fields of England, took my CTX and D2 - used the D2 95% of the time.

I have a CTX with 6, 11 and 17" coils - anyone interested? :laughing:

My buddy and I both got D2s this year. I'm getting close to 60 silvers and he's around 80. It's the best year ever! It's an awesome machine!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

I'm finding the same thing - just got back from a week hunting in the fields of England, took my CTX and D2 - used the D2 95% of the time.

I have a CTX with 6, 11 and 17" coils - anyone interested? :laughing:

It’s hard to go back to swinging a 5 lb CTX after swinging a 2 lb D2. :lol:

Curious as to what folks run their audio response at. Ever since someone on one of these forums advised me to crank it up to 6 on the D1 that’s how I run on the D 2 as well.
I know what the manual says but this method has only increased my finds and I haven’t seen any negative effects.

Curious as to what folks run their audio response at. Ever since someone on one of these forums advised me to crank it up to 6 on the D1 that’s how I run on the D 2 as well.
I know what the manual says but this method has only increased my finds and I haven’t seen any negative effects.

I like to run mine at 5. My hearing isn’t all that great so anything lower makes it difficult to hear.

I use pitch tones which already gives me a good idea of target depth, so I really don’t need a low audio response for that purpose.

Something I should’ve mentioned as a negative in my original review is the coil charging clip. It sucked on the original Deus and it sucks on the D2.

My charging clip for the coil already bit the dust today. Luckily i bought a spare. Just ordered two more and a spare set of charger wires. Would have been in some serious poo poo since i'm chasing beach erosion from the storms right now and can't afford to not be able to charge the coil.

Giving credit where credit is due - (tnsharpshooter).

Pretty early on I realized the D2 was doing something special that I hadn't seen from any of my other detectors. When targets in the coin range are co-located with lower conductive non-ferrous trash targets, if you add some notch over the unwanted target range, the D2 can correctly sort and ID the targets in the coin range. I mentioned it in this post and have continued to use this method to unmask several coins in heavily hunted locations.

I just stumbled onto this by playing with settings. I had no idea why or how it was able to do this, I just knew it worked. By doing air tests, tnsharpshooter was able to figure out exactly what was happening. He even demonstrates that running the notch higher just below the coin range can help separate and ID coins laying near slightly lower conductors. The ID would normally be dragged down by the lower conductor and the target missed by anyone who is cherry picking. On other detectors, if you discriminated out the mixed signal, you'd never know the target was there. But running a higher notch on the D2, the machine is able to separate the two and make the coin read near the proper range. I think this is a big part of the reason I've had such good luck finding more silver at heavily hunted spots with the D2 this year. Anyway, tnsharpshooter figured this out with air tests. I think that says something for the validity of them! :cheers:

Pretty early on I realized the D2 was doing something special that I hadn't seen from any of my other detectors. When targets in the coin range are co-located with lower conductive non-ferrous trash targets, if you add some notch over the unwanted target range, the D2 can correctly sort and ID the targets in the coin range. I mentioned it in this post and have continued to use this method to unmask several coins in heavily hunted locations.

I just stumbled onto this by playing with settings. I had no idea why or how it was able to do this, I just knew it worked. By doing air tests, tnsharpshooter was able to figure out exactly what was happening. He even demonstrates that running the notch higher just below the coin range can help separate and ID coins laying near slightly lower conductors. The ID would normally be dragged down by the lower conductor and the target missed by anyone who is cherry picking. On other detectors, if you discriminated out the mixed signal, you'd never know the target was there. But running a higher notch on the D2, the machine is able to separate the two and make the coin read near the proper range. I think this is a big part of the reason I've had such good luck finding more silver at heavily hunted spots with the D2 this year. Anyway, tnsharpshooter figured this out with air tests. I think that says something for the validity of them! :cheers:

Interesting stuff…now that it can be seen that this is the case, HOW would it be doing this? Does it have to do with the aperture of the coil itself? Superior signal processing to Minelab and all others? Outright speed? All of that? I have some testing to do when I get home, this has my curiosity piqued.

Interesting stuff…now that it can be seen that this is the case, HOW would it be doing this? Does it have to do with the aperture of the coil itself? Superior signal processing to Minelab and all others? Outright speed? All of that? I have some testing to do when I get home, this has my curiosity piqued.

I have no idea Kevin. Like I said, I just know that when using lots of notch, this thing is picking out signals in the coin range at sites I've hammered hard. TNSS demoed this in one of his latest vids. I think it's titled "Deus 2 training video" 1. He might have an answer.

I think it *may* have to do with how the D2 handles iron. My understanding is that iron is just a target in the lower TID range, and that range is configurable by the user. So if you choose to call "iron" a TID of 25, then everything with a TID of less than 25 will grunt like iron. I have my iron volume set at 5 (as I remember) so I get a pretty good volume on iron and that gives me situational awareness to know that there's probably iron very near a good target. In much the same way, setting a notch is likely using this same concept. Not sure I can quite articulate it but I'm feeling like a connection is there in my own head :)

Regardless, I agree, my CTX and Explorers are likely going to the classifieds, at this point I don't see anything that the CTX could do that the D2 can't do as well, if not better. I'll probably grab a Manticore when they become available but I'm not holding my breath...

I think it *may* have to do with how the D2 handles iron. My understanding is that iron is just a target in the lower TID range, and that range is configurable by the user. So if you choose to call "iron" a TID of 25, then everything with a TID of less than 25 will grunt like iron. I have my iron volume set at 5 (as I remember) so I get a pretty good volume on iron and that gives me situational awareness to know that there's probably iron very near a good target. In much the same way, setting a notch is likely using this same concept. Not sure I can quite articulate it but I'm feeling like a connection is there in my own head :)

Regardless, I agree, my CTX and Explorers are likely going to the classifieds, at this point I don't see anything that the CTX could do that the D2 can't do as well, if not better. I'll probably grab a Manticore when they become available but I'm not holding my breath...

I would LOVE that to be the case to save weight and with the D2 lite I could MAKE money trading in my CTX for the lite. Questions remain that have to be verified by ME, cuz I went through this with the Equinox. I’m hoping this will be different.

I'm not trying to throw cold water on the success you have had with the Deus II, but in your opinion would the Equinox have found the same number of coins? The only reason I ask is because so far I have not witnessed a target the DII can hit and the Equinox can't in the wild. I swing Nox 800. Buddy swings DII. We've compared I'm thinking in the hundreds of targets. So far like I said they both hit targets equally the same.

I just stumbled onto this by playing with settings. I had no idea why or how it was able to do this, I just knew it worked. By doing air tests, tnsharpshooter was able to figure out exactly what was happening. He even demonstrates that running the notch higher just below the coin range can help separate and ID coins laying near slightly lower conductors. The ID would normally be dragged down by the lower conductor and the target missed by anyone who is cherry picking.

For unmasking coins in nonferrous trash, I would never go over 10 khz in either SF or SMF. Reason being, once detectors get to around the 15 khz range in either SF or SMF, then coins in nonferrous trash often give a lower tone and ID. TNS has shown this to be the case numerous times on the Legend and the Nox.

For example, the Nox in Park1 (lower weighted SMF), or a SF of 5 khz or 10 khz, often, but not always, gives a high tone and high ID, on coins masked by nonferrous trash. In higher weighted SMF's, or frequencies above 10 khz, the Nox gives a low tone and ID on the coin in the same scenario. The exact same thing occurs on the Legend. For example, in the same scenario, M1 on the Legend which includes 15 khz, does poorly in the same scenario, but using the Legend's MW SMF mode (4 khz and 10 khz), TNS showed that the Legend unmasks even better than the Nox, by consistently giving a high ID and tone on the masked coin. So much so, that he claimed that the Legend's MW mode is the best unmasker in nonferrous trash of any detector he has used. This leads me to believe that MW on the Legend, is weighted even lower than the Nox's Park 1, and leads me to believe that the Nox's Park 1 includes 15 khz, like the Legend's M1.

What I'm getting at, is that I don't think unmasking coins in nonferrous trash has to do with the detector in of itself, but more so, it has to do with the frequency(s) being used. Ideally, an SMF weighted as low as possible, or the SF of 5 khz. The caveat of course with low frequencies, is some performance loss on small low conductors like tiny, or deep gold jewelry.

Back
Top Bottom