Question for those who use a Predator Phoenix..

Rattlehead

Forum Supporter
I currently have a Model 55 Barracuda and was thinking of switching to a D handle because the T handle of the Cuda is rough on the fingers after a while. So I went to the Predator Tools website to look around. I found the Spartan which is pretty much identical to the Barracuda, except its a D handle. Then I noticed the one called the Phoenix which had the curved blade. Watched a few YouTube vids on it and it does seem to dig a nice plug in soft ground. Problem is, a lot of the places I dig are just the opposite. Hard packed GA clay, often with rocks and roots. I'm considering trying one but I have a feeling the wider blade with less of a pointed tip might not work so well in tough ground. For those who use the Phoenix, how well does it work in tougher ground?

I currently have a Model 55 Barracuda and was thinking of switching to a D handle because the T handle of the Cuda is rough on the fingers after a while. So I went to the Predator Tools website to look around. I found the Spartan which is pretty much identical to the Barracuda, except its a D handle. Then I noticed the one called the Phoenix which had the curved blade. Watched a few YouTube vids on it and it does seem to dig a nice plug in soft ground. Problem is, a lot of the places I dig are just the opposite. Hard packed GA clay, often with rocks and roots. I'm considering trying one but I have a feeling the wider blade with less of a pointed tip might not work so well in tough ground. For those who use the Phoenix, how well does it work in tougher ground?

If your present spade works well expect for the handle, why not get the T cut off and a D shaped one fitted?

You can get the plastic D handles for various size sockets for different shaft diameters on eBay, but I would be tempted to take it to a local metal workshop and ask them to fabricate and fit a proper D handle in stainless for you...

If your present spade works well expect for the handle, why not get the T cut off and a D shaped one fitted?

You can get the plastic D handles for various size sockets for different shaft diameters on eBay, but I would be tempted to take it to a local metal workshop and ask them to fabricate and fit a proper D handle in stainless for you...

I actually work in a metal fab shop and have made my own shovels before. The problem with that is the lightest round tubing we stock is still 4 times heavier than those found on Predator shovels. Weight is a big deal to me. I’m sure I could fab up something accepting with the one I have, but I need a backup shovel anyway and don’t mind paying for a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually work in a metal fab shop and have made my own shovels before. The problem with that is the lightest round tubing we stock is still 4 times heavier than those found on Predator shovels. Weight is a big deal to me. I’m sure I could fab up something accepting with the one I have, but I need a backup shovel anyway and don’t mind paying for a new one.

I get what you mean re weight...I have a great spade made by Evolution here in the UK. It bomb proof, but being all stainless it is seriously heavy: it is good on hard ground though...

A couple of the guys in my club have bought diggers with a telescoping carbon fibre shafts ( https://www.megraphta.co.uk/ )..They look like something a bloke knocked up in his garage sort of thing, and the diggers have a somewhat "homemade" look about them but are crazy light...That said, I am not convinced the CF shaft will be strong enough or stand up to abuse, but I guess time will tell..

I get what you mean re weight...I have a great spade made by Evolution here in the UK. It bomb proof, but being all stainless it is seriously heavy: it is good on hard ground though...

A couple of the guys in my club have bought diggers with a telescoping carbon fibre shafts ( https://www.megraphta.co.uk/ )..They look like something a bloke knocked up in his garage sort of thing, and the diggers have a somewhat "homemade" look about them but are crazy light...That said, I am not convinced the CF shaft will be strong enough or stand up to abuse, but I guess time will tell..

Wow, 2.2 lbs! That’s pretty lightweight! A full pound lighter than the Predator, which is fairly lightweight itself. I bet the ones I made are 5lbs or more.

62e7cee4a5d495383bd7ff94ccd18c1c.jpg

I ended up ordering the Phoenix and the Spartan. As I suspected, the Phoenix works great in softer grassy areas. Not so much in tough hard packed ground due to the wider more blunt blade. The Spartan is basically identical to my Barracuda except it has a D handle instead of a T handle. Anyway, at least I'll hive a nice selection of shovels to choose from now.

Back
Top Bottom