Old earrings? Maybe political?

pjk110

My grandfather tore out some shrubs outside of his 1960s home and allowed me to detect where they were. Found an 1860s Indian head and what looks to be maybe some old earrings? I thought that because of the holes in the hats. Also looks like the hat said something but I can't make it out. Any idea what they may be?

jBOx1Wn.jpg

1lYTrmr.jpg

I really doubt that those were ever earrings.
More likely, some type of toy?

Yeah you're right they probably weren't earrings. Now that I think of it earrings didn't become popular until like the mid 1900s right? But they're very thin so I don't think they were toys

Could they have spun around on a wire or something? If you can clean up that text enough that somebody can decipher it I'll bet it can be identified.

Could they have spun around on a wire or something? If you can clean up that text enough that somebody can decipher it I'll bet it can be identified.

That's possible for sure. Any tips on cleaning it up without damaging it? Maybe some Dawn and a toothpick? I feel like a noob getting back into this hobby after a few years off :lol:

Tooth pick, dry surface. Try to just rub the tops of the letters so they'll stand out against the background dirt, be easier to read.

Hard to tell from the picture, but I think it says "CLEVE" and then "LAND" under it. So probably related to Grover Cleveland? It kind of even looks like him lol

H5YcaS1.jpg

Very cool! I can't seem to find another one like it online, but theres tons of old election items that were charms on ribbons and such.

Very cool! I can't seem to find another one like it online, but theres tons of old election items that were charms on ribbons and such.

Yeah you're probably spot on. I dug up the first one and thought it was just some siding or something so I threw it in the scrap bucket without looking too closely but then I dug up the other that was identical so I looked closer at them. Glad I found the second one :laughing:

Are those them center bottom? 1884 campaign.

Attachments

• cleveland-hendricks-campaign-items-ca-1884-D5AHD6.jpg
    cleveland-hendricks-campaign-items-ca-1884-D5AHD6.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 219
Wow such an exciting find .. jealous. Also excellent ID!

Thank you! Didn't expect to find anything good since the house was built in the 1960s but figured I'd give it a shot since the town was founded in the 1820s. Just goes to show ya house age doesn't matter much I guess!

Adding to the ID, just found this

"...tall two-sided gilt brass figure of "Cleveland", thumbing his nose at the opposition. Complete with seldom-seen stickpin attachment."

Link

lf

Adding to the ID, just found this

"...tall two-sided gilt brass figure of "Cleveland", thumbing his nose at the opposition. Complete with seldom-seen stickpin attachment."

Link

lf

That's a beautiful ID!! Someone in another forum also shared an image from an auction that I'll upload in my next post

Back
Top Bottom