Best results I've seen yet...

J

JohnnyG

Hey all,
I finally found a trusted method of cleaning copper coins and nickels without destroying them. Alot of you may know about this already but I just found out about it.
Put some plain old Hydrogen Peroxide in a small bowl and get it nice and warm in the microwave (30 secs), then drop in your wheaties or nickels or whatever (I only do one coin at a time).
It will start to fizz and bubble. I leave the coin in there for a good 10 minutes, then I pull it out and use a soft bristle toothbrush to brush off all of the crud that just came loose.
Rinse with water..... and that's it!
It is not real practical for clad and stuff that you want to spend, but for your keepers, it does wonders without doing any damage whatsoever. I am really impressed with this.
I have done wheaties, nickels, brass buttons, tokens, etc.... all with some really great results. But of course, if the coin has been in the ground so long that the surface is corroded, don't expect a miracle.
Also... there's a coin cleaing solution called "Blue Ribbon" that I am sure most of you have heard of. Well, I bought some the other day and it was worth every penny!
It is totally non-abrasive. It just basically gets the excess dirt off of the surface and leaves a nice lubricant over the coin. I usually follow up my peroxide cleaning with a few swabs of this stuff.

I've found that simichrome polish works miracles with coins. It will literally turn a brown penny red again.

Attachments

• simichrome.jpg
    simichrome.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 498
Back
Top Bottom