• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Should I seal the coil cover?

swiftsword

Hi all,
I'm relatively new, only been at it since April, but am going out very frequently. Recently, my Vanquish 540 started throwing fits after a few minutes of detecting. Without me changing any settings, it will start chattering like crazy, regardless of what the sensitivity is set to. Sometimes it stops on its own. Sometimes it goes away with a restart. Last night it wouldn't go away at all, and I had to pack it in.
I checked the coil and noticed that the cover /skid plate had separated in one spot. I took it off and found a good deal of sand, crud, and water had accumulated between coil and cover. Would that be causing the chatter? I'm cleaning it up regardless, but I'm wondering if I can run a bead of clear silicone around the seam and avoid this problem in future. Would that do any harm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is more of a matter of choice. I wouldn't seal one myself, I'd just monitor the cleanliness and not jam up the seam with silicone. It then become a mess if you need to remove the plate.

Yes, the crud could be causing the chatter.

I wouldn't seal it as that defeats the purpose of having a coil cover (which is supposed to be removable so your coil will last longer).

Removing the coil cover and cleaning out the crud is considered a normal part of metal detecting maintenance...at least that's my understanding.

from reading your story

evidently you are scrubbing the ground that isnt necessary to do if you need to go deeper put it in all metal mode the plate is to protect the coil from damage and sounds like it might have took the punishment instead of the coil the coil covers are cheap order you a couple and quit scrapping things make sure the cable on the coil isnt hanging quite loose and get caught in brush and things while you are swing the detector.........

evidently you are scrubbing the ground that isnt necessary to do if you need to go deeper put it in all metal mode the plate is to protect the coil from damage and sounds like it might have took the punishment instead of the coil the coil covers are cheap order you a couple and quit scrapping things make sure the cable on the coil isnt hanging quite loose and get caught in brush and things while you are swing the detector.........

From what I've read, you're supposed to be scraping the grass, brush, etc. and that it's expected to replace your coil cover every few seasons (assuming you hunt often).

Coil covers perform a great task and they require a degree of maintenance. now that you know that there can be crud buildup under the cover you can just stop for a minuet and pull the cover and tap it off on your shoe bottom or such. They can wear but that erosion is to the cover and not your coil and a replacement coil cover is relatively cheap.

"Scrubbing" the grass, which I promote to beginners who tea-cup their swings, is meant as a trainer for keeping the coil parallel to the ground at all times. Physical scrub/scrape of the coil is extreme. I do actually scrub during final pinpoint with the coil.

Coil covers for me? I have never ever worn a single skid plate out, but I have physically broken one or two removing then. We can become obsessed over cleaning under the coil cover.

Hi all,
I'm relatively new, only been at it since April, but am going out very frequently. Recently, my Vanquish 540 started throwing fits after a few minutes of detecting. Without me changing any settings, it will start chattering like crazy, regardless of what the sensitivity is set to. Sometimes it stops on its own. Sometimes it goes away with a restart. Last night it wouldn't go away at all, and I had to pack it in.
I checked the coil and noticed that the cover /skid plate had separated in one spot. I took it off and found a good deal of sand, crud, and water had accumulated between coil and cover. Would that be causing the chatter? I'm cleaning it up regardless, but I'm wondering if I can run a bead of clear silicone around the seam and avoid this problem in future. Would that do any harm?

LOTS OF MISINFORMATION HERE!

I NEVER recommend sealing a coil cover to a coil. Just too many inches of caulk and one little screw-up and you have water and dirt/black sand in the area you want clean and free.

Loctite marine epoxy is the way to go for water hunters and if done carefully the coil cover can still be attached.

There is a thread on this already here: https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=187514

Attachments

• coil 3.jpg
    coil 3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 383
get that stuff of your coil

(1)
when you put stuff on your coil you are loosing depth take that stuff off and it isnt going to be easy you probably will have to cut it off being careful
(2)
the crud and things water and such are standard stuff which needs cleaned
now and then
(3) i dont know your detector but they are all pretty close as far as operation if yours isnt water proof dont use in rain and such (you will drown it)
also if your shaft has holes for adjusting it water will get into the tube just take the tube apart and empty
(4) dont scrub ground being new you need to remember your detector is a
piece of equipment not a brush hog no wonder you broke he ears off of your detector do not bang things with your detector unless you just want to continue breaking things if there is debris in the way use your hands or feet and move it ...raise your coil at least an inch or little better of the ground and better yet stay about 2 inches when your swinging the coil over lap each lap
(the coil cover is only there to protect the coil since the cover is cheaper than a coil by a lot..........(use common since) your the one that has to replace what ever you tear up...............

(1)
when you put stuff on your coil you are loosing depth take that stuff off and it isnt going to be easy you probably will have to cut it off being careful
(2)
now and then
(3) i dont know your detector but they are all pretty close as far as operation if yours isnt water proof dont use in rain and such (you will drown it)
also if your shaft has holes for adjusting it water will get into the tube just take the tube apart and empty
piece of equipment not a brush hog no wonder you broke he ears off of your detector do not bang things with your detector unless you just want to continue breaking things if there is debris in the way use your hands or feet and move it ...raise your coil at least an inch or little better of the ground and better yet stay about 2 inches when your swinging the coil over lap each lap
(the coil cover is only there to protect the coil since the cover is cheaper than a coil by a lot..........(use common since) your the one that has to replace what ever you tear up...............

I am losing depth? OK, Explain that to me? PS that "stuff" has been on my coils with extensive testing on multiple brands for 25 YEARS!

I scrub the sand, ALL THE TIME. So does Tom Dankowski!

Those "holes" in your shaft can be easily covered for water/dirt/sand infiltration. Use black electrical tape and a dab of super glue on the last 1/2 inch. Then drill a small hole on the end cap by your arm to drain out any small amounts that might get through, but most likely there will be none. . [Don't do that if you have a MDT]

Holding 2" off the ground gets you two lost inches of depth! period!

Last edited:
sounds like you already know all the answers bud why ask do your thing and enjoy the hobby right you will loose some depth but that is the height recommended so you wont tear things up and that rubber compound will be heck to get off then you need to replace the cover im suprised that the people making the detectors hasnt figured that out !!!!! yet go ahead its your problem ......just trying to save some problems but i looks like you insist on screwing it up anyway go for it

sounds like you already know all the answers bud why ask do your thing and enjoy the hobby right you will loose some depth but that is the height recommended so you wont tear things up and that rubber compound will be heck to get off then you need to replace the cover im suprised that the people making the detectors hasnt figured that out !!!!! yet go ahead its your problem ......just trying to save some problems but i looks like you insist on screwing it up anyway go for it

After doing this hobby for 50 years I have learned and taught.

There is no "rubber compound" on the coil.

No coil cover is on that coil either.

I wish you were out with me today. You would of learned how fast a detector can lose performance in black sand. Also the necessary steps to limit those losses.

:mder:

(1)
(2)
now and then

yeah this is why I will keep finding those deep silvers people like you miss.... number one is wrong, number 4 is wrong depending on site.... You missing the goodies that are deep. Also sealing a coil is not unheard of especially in places with high mineralization of lots of black sand. All it takes in a tiny bit in between the cover and coil to completely destroy depth. I have had hunts where I had to be cleaning out the cover every 15-30 minutes... it gets old fast.

I always "scrape the grass/sand" when hunting, never had any issues. I would not seal the coil cover...it's a simple matter to remove and clean whenever necessary. Good luck!

If i was out with you i would think you would own a equinox in the first place it has been said that black sand doesnt effect the working of it ....and you are right i depends where you are hunting water....grass...trashy and you should know by now the effects of each and i was only trying to help ya not to make you mad im 76 and love the sport but havent been able to beach hunt yet to many pull tabs around where i am im in TX. and that is beer country and coke also the drinking kind......you have a nice day if ya want to

If i was out with you i would think you would own a equinox in the first place it has been said that black sand doesnt effect the working of it ....and you are right i depends where you are hunting water....grass...trashy and you should know by now the effects of each and i was only trying to help ya not to make you mad im 76 and love the sport but havent been able to beach hunt yet to many pull tabs around where i am im in TX. and that is beer country and coke also the drinking kind......you have a nice day if ya want to

I am just trying to stay the course on misinformation. EVERY detector is affected by black sand. High mineralization too. For instance yesterday I had sensitivity between 22 and 18, sometimes just within a few steps. Black sand streaks are real bad here now.
The equinox is very powerful discriminator. For instance modern pull tabs here register a solid 14. Gold comes in between 1 and 22. Therefore if one were to skip "14" targets it would not hurt too much for gold. Most of the beavertails here have been dissolved by the ocean.

It pays to innovate and learn new ideas. Have a good day too!

This is a hobby and not a marathon. Events in our path through life requires a bit of maintenance like a bathroom trip which without thought requires a a bit of maintenance prior to proceeding on with the day. This is also the fact with coil covers which from time to time require a break from the detecting routine so the performance curve is maintained. With most hobby's, just taking a clean up break is routine. When we go out detecting a small delay is most times welcomed. We do not have a given schedule to swing a high count for a given time. This is fun and those short maintenance breaks should be accepted as part of the process of finding the ultimate find.

read some on the equinox 800 or watch videos thats best

I am just trying to stay the course on misinformation. EVERY detector is affected by black sand. High mineralization too. For instance yesterday I had sensitivity between 22 and 18, sometimes just within a few steps. Black sand streaks are real bad here now.
The equinox is very powerful discriminator. For instance modern pull tabs here register a solid 14. Gold comes in between 1 and 22. Therefore if one were to skip "14" targets it would not hurt too much for gold. Most of the beavertails here have been dissolved by the ocean.

It pays to innovate and learn new ideas. Have a good day too!

when you can read up on the nox 800 or the 600 less money read comments and they say black dont seem to bother the noxes very much at all just telling you i have had mine for some time love it but i can relate to them being pricey but i wish i had had this back in the 60"s i would have been a lot richer at present i have 5 garret,whites,cortez,and two more of some kind

Last edited:
Hi all,

We take it a step further beach hunting... https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=187514

Back
Top Bottom