Nokta/Makro SMF (My Prediction)

Trashfinder

Forum Supporter
After watching several interviews, I have made the inference they are targeting the NOX's. I think it is good to set your sights high for sure. After another companies foray into SMF, which if I am being honest, was not quite the machine i was hoping for, I am going to take the skeptical stance on this one.

I think we have to keep in mind the head start Minelab has on everyone trying to make a SMF machine and not set expectations that it will not only compete but maybe even be better than Multi-IQ.

My guess, it's much better than the disappointing one recently released here in the US, but probably not as good as the NOX's. Not going to pre order this machine like I usually do, going to take the wait and see approach.

I am pulling for Nokta/Makro team and their success though!

After watching several interviews, I have made the inference they are targeting the NOX's. I think it is good to set your sights high for sure. After another companies foray into SMF, which if I am being honest, was not quite the machine i was hoping for, I am going to take the skeptical stance on this one.

I think we have to keep in mind the head start Minelab has on everyone trying to make a SMF machine and not set expectations that it will not only compete but maybe even be better than Multi-IQ.

My guess, it's much better than the disappointing one recently released here in the US, but probably not as good as the NOX's. Not going to pre order this machine like I usually do, going to take the wait and see approach.

I am pulling for Nokta/Makro team and their success though!

Apex wasn't made to compete with the Nox. It has also been a very good Detector for the people who have learned the detector. It's been very good on the beach too and has more settings than the Vanquish.

I still think Garrett did it correctly by trying out a cheaper detector instead of trying to create an Apex Max.

One thing for sure about the new N/M SMF. It will be a better build quality than the Nox.

My prediction.
Brace for Impact !!!

A side note. And I find this interesting/lacking.
Why hasn’t a manufacturer put noise cancel on a single freq/multiple single freq VLF detector ? Proper noise cancel system more accurate for using cleanest freq(channel) than one trying to gauge using their ears (based on detector noise/behavior). And doing so would have been good practice for a detector manufacturer moving later into the Multi- freq world of detectors.

Last edited:
Apex wasn't made to compete with the Nox. It has also been a very good Detector for the people who have learned the detector. It's been very good on the beach too and has more settings than the Vanquish.

I still think Garrett did it correctly by trying out a cheaper detector instead of trying to create an Apex Max.

One thing for sure about the new N/M SMF. It will be a better build quality than the Nox.

I think it will be better/ stronger build quality than the NOX too. Apex just wasn't what i was expecting it to be and that is why i was saying I was disappointed, I set my own expectations too high for a company with no experience using SMF, and how to get the most from it. Again it is my own fault and that is why I am taking this approach this time. Still pulling for Garrett to evolve the tech and I would love to see them be able to compete at the high end, as it benefits all of us. I just was not going to set MY expectations on the Nokta/Makro machine too high, because they too have only limited experience with these type machines.

Looking forward to the first impressions we get from the testers that are not biased in anyway towards Nokta/Makro. Very happy another company is trying to bring us more SMF choices!

I think it will be better/ stronger build quality than the NOX too. Apex just wasn't what i was expecting it to be and that is why i was saying I was disappointed, I set my own expectations too high for a company with no experience using SMF, and how to get the most from it. Again it is my own fault and that is why I am taking this approach this time. Still pulling for Garrett to evolve the tech and I would love to see them be able to compete at the high end, as it benefits all of us. I just was not going to set MY expectations on the Nokta/Makro machine too high, because they too have only limited experience with these type machines.

Looking forward to the first impressions we get from the testers that are not biased in anyway towards Nokta/Makro. Very happy another company is trying to bring us more SMF choices!

Most of the testers appear to live in Europe. I wonder how many testers are in the states ? Especially someone who hunts beaches.

Whites had a patent on a detector that was supposed to be a mix of VLF and PI and never did anything with it. Could Garrett be developing something from that patent ?

.......A side note. And I find this interesting/lacking.
Why hasn’t a manufacturer put noise cancel on a single freq/multiple single freq VLF detector ? Proper noise cancel system more accurate for using cleanest freq(channel) than one trying to gauge using their ears (based on detector noise/behavior)..... .

I have an Xterra 705 with a 5 channel (freq shift) auto noise cancel. I can keep the detector still and NC multiple times and it will select different channels (freqs) each time. It WILL avoid the worse ones but it's no better than doing it manualy.

Most of the testers appear to live in Europe. I wonder how many testers are in the states ? Especially someone who hunts beaches.......

I talked to a dealer here in the Midwest several months ago that said he was going to be tester. No, I haven't talked to him since and he couldn't tell me anything anyways. He did say he's seen videos of it and it was impressive.

I talked to a dealer here in the Midwest several months ago that said he was going to be tester. No, I haven't talked to him since and he couldn't tell me anything anyways. He did say he's seen videos of it and it was impressive.

TNSS was a tester for them on a previous release. I really hope they have someone who beach hunts as a tester. I do a lot of beach hunting and I would like to see it get more depth than the Nox.

In her Memorial Day interview Dilek stated that they were in the process of testing the new NM smf machine on black sand beaches. She also noted that the effects of black sand varies from one area to another - so my assumption is that they're testing the new machine on a large number of beaches.

My "prediction" is that the new NM machine will be very competitive (with the Nox 800) - just as NM has stated it will be. It is a sure bet that the NM engineers have gone through multiple Nox 800's with a fine-toothed comb to see what makes it tick. They know what they're competing with.

We'll soon know if NM hit their mark. I suspect they will.

If ML is as smart as they seem to be; they're operating under the same assumption and developing improvements geared toward retaining the "edge" that so many users believe them to have. It's also a safe bet that ML itself will be among the first who "own" the new machine from NM - and they will go through it with a fine-toothed comb to see what makes it tick.

I'd also "predict" that Garrett, XP, First Texas, and perhaps others will pay very close attention to what NM comes up with.

As far as the consumer is concerned - this is all wonderful news. Even the loyalists (to a specific brand) have to be excited over the promise of improvements brought about due to increased competition.

I think Nokta Makro is a solid second place in ranking metal detector companies behind Minelab. I would be very surprised if they can produce a SMF detector with the performance of a SMF Equinox or Vanquish on a first outing.

I have 2 Equinox 800's presently. Right now all I am personally interested in is a Flagship all the bells and whistles Minelab Equinox on steroids. Basically an Equinox with CTX type innovative features or better. Namely a color screen with the ability to see multiple targets at once with a finer grained I.D. system. I'm saving my pennies for that.

I left XP Deus out because I personally have zero experience with them and think of them mainly as a relic only machine. I keep waiting for XP to come out with something new, but I never hear much chatter about that company.

It either needs to be cheaper than the 800 or offer something the 800 does not. Or why give up the 800? Glad they are finally going Bluetooth instead of their color coded proprietary headphones. I never liked the idea of them.

I never held a Simplex, but I have to imagine that this new detector in the same housing will be much more pleasant to swing. Drowning the detector should be less of an issue than the Equinox.

I think Nokta Makro is a solid second place in ranking metal detector companies behind Minelab. I would be very surprised if they can produce a SMF detector with the performance of a SMF Equinox or Vanquish on a first outing.

I have 2 Equinox 800's presently. Right now all I am personally interested in is a Flagship all the bells and whistles Minelab Equinox on steroids. Basically an Equinox with CTX type innovative features or better. Namely a color screen with the ability to see multiple targets at once with a finer grained I.D. system. I'm saving my pennies for that.

I left XP Deus out because I personally have zero experience with them and think of them mainly as a relic only machine. I keep waiting for XP to come out with something new, but I never hear much chatter about that company.

That's what I'm predicting from Minelab, too...let's call it the "Equinox 1000." Given how well the Equinox still sells, my gut tells me Minelab waits to release this machine until at least a few months after the Nokta/Makro SMF machine gets released.

But that brings up the question of whether Minelab has flexibility in when it releases the Equinox 1000. Imagine Nokta/Makro releases its SMF detector to critical acclaim. Then just a few months later, the Equinox 1000 is released and impresses users just as much the 600/800 did (even if Minelab would have preferred to hold off on the release to work out a few more bugs). I can't think of a better way to demoralize a competitor.

Or, Minelab releases the Equinox 1000 whenever they feel its development and testing is complete, regardless of what Nokta/Makro or anyone else is doing.

My "prediction" is that the new NM machine will be very competitive (with the Nox 800) - just as NM has stated it will be. It is a sure bet that the NM engineers have gone through multiple Nox 800's with a fine-toothed comb to see what makes it tick. They know what they're competing with.

We'll soon know if NM hit their mark. I suspect they will.

If ML is as smart as they seem to be; they're operating under the same assumption and developing improvements geared toward retaining the "edge" that so many users believe them to have. It's also a safe bet that ML itself will be among the first who "own" the new machine from NM - and they will go through it with a fine-toothed comb to see what makes it tick.

I'd also "predict" that Garrett, XP, First Texas, and perhaps others will pay very close attention to what NM comes up with.

As far as the consumer is concerned - this is all wonderful news. Even the loyalists (to a specific brand) have to be excited over the promise of improvements brought about due to increased competition.

Definitely. Those companies are going to pay very close attention to any new technological development from a competitor. It wouldn't surprise me if they're also capable of reverse engineering the new tech and creating their own version. Now, whether they can legally do this or sell it is another story...

Paying attention to a competitor is one thing. Finding a way to do something better than a competitor is different.

My prediction.
Brace for Impact !!!

A side note. And I find this interesting/lacking.
Why hasn’t a manufacturer put noise cancel on a single freq/multiple single freq VLF detector ? Proper noise cancel system more accurate for using cleanest freq(channel) than one trying to gauge using their ears (based on detector noise/behavior). And doing so would have been good practice for a detector manufacturer moving later into the Multi- freq world of detectors.

Xterra 705 has noise cancel,single frequency machine

It took minelab a long time to catch up or pass Garrett , any way you want to word it. It's not like minelab has always had the better machine, heck they only had fbs and Xterra, which as much as I like the Xterra it's nowhere near as good as the At pro. Minelab really had nothing to compete with the at pro for at least 10 years..
I know alot of guys are blinded by a few finds here and there,and I get it so no offense from me. But Garrett is still a dominating force in this hobbie,and don't look like they're going anywhere soon, buying other companies out,etc.

While This is Nokta Makro’s first attempt at a SMF machine, they are very quick to make changes and updates so it will be very interesting to see where this goes. The level of attention and support they have provided with the Simplex for an entry level machine is nothing short of amazing and I suspect it will be no different with this new detector. Certainly a good thing for our hobby.

Back
Top Bottom