Lead sinkers!

Metal detecto

Elite Member
Normal day at the beach. Lots of signals, and I like them. BUT half are lead sinkers. Pretty sure I found like, who knows, 19. It was a popular fishing spot, so no, there was no chance of gold. But what does everyone do with these? Sell? Chuck into the trash? Keep them?

Josh

Keep them and sell for scrap. Or make more money by selling them to fishermen at the local fishing spot.

Most will use them for what is called "fishing". 🤪

Lead value is pretty low, me personally I wouldn't store it to sell. Keep in mind you should limit how much you handle lead. Picking up fishing weights you'll probably never handle enough to be toxic in any way. But storing it around you and handling it with frequency could give you higher levels of it in your system added in with any other contact you have with the metal.

I work around a "toxic" lead environment with frequency and have to get regular blood testing and listen to the cautions like crazy. You can limit how much your body absorbs using proper "dlead" soaps/wipes, not touching your mouth, food, drinks, after handling the lead etc.

Lead value is pretty low, me personally I wouldn't store it to sell. Keep in mind you should limit how much you handle lead. Picking up fishing weights you'll probably never handle enough to be toxic in any way. But storing it around you and handling it with frequency could give you higher levels of it in your system added in with any other contact you have with the metal.

I work around a "toxic" lead environment with frequency and have to get regular blood testing and listen to the cautions like crazy. You can limit how much your body absorbs using proper "dlead" soaps/wipes, not touching your mouth, food, drinks, after handling the lead etc.

Okay... So you think "Chucking" would be a smart idea?

Josh

Well if those had been found on Oak Island, they would have been hailed as "proof positive " of a viking or templar treasure ! So if I were you, I'd go back to that spot, bring heavy equipment and drilling rigs, and start digging insanely deep pits.

Okay... So you think "Chucking" would be a smart idea?

Josh
In this area lead brings a decent price for scrap. You don't have to handle it much at all. Just put a bucket in the garage or on the patio and drop it in when you get home. If outside drill a hole to let water out. Lead is heavy so it grows quickly. Every now and again just take to a scrap dealer and sell it. No need to touch it at all.

Cliff

In this area lead brings a decent price for scrap. You don't have to handle it much at all. Just put a bucket in the garage or on the patio and drop it in when you get home. If outside drill a hole to let water out. Lead is heavy so it grows quickly. Every now and again just take to a scrap dealer and sell it. No need to touch it at all.

Cliff

Thanks for the idea... But I think that chucking the lead and being safe would be my best bet... I could live without a few bucks.

Josh

Lead probably isn't good to toss back into the environment. I dug up a big one the other day and where there are sinkers there are fish hooks. Good to wear gloves in those areas.

Normal day at the beach. Lots of signals, and I like them. BUT half are lead sinkers. Pretty sure I found like, who knows, 19. It was a popular fishing spot, so no, there was no chance of gold. But what does everyone do with these? Sell? Chuck into the trash? Keep them?

Josh

I sell the sinkers for a dollar a pound around here and yes gold and lead will be found together... I don't know who you are listening to about no chance of gold but they are wrong...

Josh.. sometimes you have to dig a lot of junk to score the yellow I have hunted area's used for fishing and have filled my pouch multiple times to clean out the lead and other targets to be able to hear the yellow... that is part of the hobby.. if you don't want to do that then try dirt digging...

One year alone I dug a 180 pounds of lead and I sold it all to 1 guy who wanted it all... I sell my brass scrap as well as copper... everything gets sold except Felix pennies no one wants they :lol:

Whether its fishing weights or bullets lead is lead... if you want to find the gold you need to dig everything...

Dig junk or go home :yes:

Attachments

• user32_pic60200_1406991220.jpg
    user32_pic60200_1406991220.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 547
  • user32_pic54509_1388211461.jpg
    user32_pic54509_1388211461.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 540
  • user32_pic54502_1388211398.jpg
    user32_pic54502_1388211398.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 533
  • user32_pic54499_1388211334.jpg
    user32_pic54499_1388211334.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 534
Thanks for the idea... But I think that chucking the lead and being safe would be my best bet... I could live without a few bucks.

Josh
Suit yourself but there is no danger in handling fishing weights. If there were they wouldn't sell them at the tackle store. Throwing them in the trash isn't good for the environment either. It's much better to sell them to a recycler. The money you could get for them could buy you some of the things you need for the hobby too.

Cliff

I found these a few weeks ago. One in a field in a county park, one in the former community schoolyard, both 1000's of feet from any fishing hole. They were also about 2 miles from each other, but look how similar the condition a d appearance is.

Attachments

• 20210523_172936_copy_1651x780.jpg
    20210523_172936_copy_1651x780.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 562
  • 20210523_172903_copy_1651x780.jpg
    20210523_172903_copy_1651x780.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

Josh
I love my lead sinkers; I’ve found some nice ones. They’re in my “display case” ( a wooden cigar box with a glass top), or in a dish on a shelf.

Okay. So the tally is 7 (Keep and sell) to 3 (get rid of)

I think I will keep them, but really far away OUTSIDE. Thank you for all the responses.

Josh

Back
Top Bottom