Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   River Team 6 Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Metal Detector Accessories

Old 04-28-2021, 06:19 PM

Default Equinox goodies

Having just got my new equinox and investing a good amount of money I made a couple little purchases to protect my detector and make it a little more comfortable. I found these both on fleabay after seeing a video on YouTube. The cover says made in USA the neoprene arm cuff padding I am not sure of but they both came from the same seller. I hope I am not violating any forum rules just wanted to post these items for anybody looking to protect their detector. I am in no way affiliated with the seller. The fit and finish are very nice and I like the plastic screen cover, it reminds me of the Vanquish.
Attached Images

Last edited by aj0421; 04-28-2021 at 09:04 PM.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:53 PM
Elite Member

Looks good! I'm not a big "control box cover fan..." Are they absolutely needed?

John 8:32

Equinox 800, Vanquish 440, Garrett Pro Pointer, Trex 9.5 Scoop
Tell the truth, and only of the truth.

Old 04-28-2021, 07:02 PM

Not needed, I just like to keep my stuff looking nice.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:08 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by aj0421 View post
I have both of them also, and a charging port cover which I recommend. The cover needs to be tied so you don't lose it though.
Attached Images

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2021, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by stetam View post
I have both of them also, and a charging port cover which I recommend. The cover needs to be tied so you don't lose it though.
Good to know. I may have to pick one of those up as well.

Old 04-29-2021, 08:27 AM
Elite Member

Smile

One drawback with the cover, is they will overheat with them on if you hunt when it is hot out. The Equinox overheats with a cover on them.

7 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2021, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by graybeard View post
One drawback with the cover, is they will overheat with them on if you hunt when it is hot out. The Equinox overheats with a cover on them.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind when I venture out into the heat.

Old 04-29-2021, 09:34 PM
Elite Member

Yes they do. Mine did several times on the beaches here at home. I took cover off and it never overheated again. I no longer use them.

Old 04-30-2021, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the heads up. If I experience any overheating I will put some holes it the cloth material to see if it helps.

Old 04-30-2021, 12:18 PM
Supporter

I havenít experienced any overheating but havenít detected over 90f probably. That cover is gonna save that screen and or screen cover and overall the whole head unit a ton of abuse. I also have the charging cover as well and it does keep that free of any buildup and such.
Name:  11DA5E95-5A6D-4446-8A88-A272A58C000F.jpeg
Views: 449
Size:  176.3 KB

Anaconda NX6 Gravedigger sidekick Clad 2021@143.87 Silvers@37 Gold@0 .925@4

Old 04-30-2021, 10:57 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by basstrackerman View post
Yes they do. Mine did several times on the beaches here at home. I took cover off and it never overheated again. I no longer use them.
Yep, absolutely...I stopped using dust covers on my Equinox a couple years ago. It was impossible to hunt in direct sun on a hot day without having the display go belly up if a dust cover was used. Once I stopped using it, I've never had a problem since.

Thanks for the heads up. If I experience any overheating I will put some holes it the cloth material to see if it helps.
In my experience, holes won't help. Here's my thread from a couple years ago when I tried popping a bunch of eyelets into my cover to serve as vent holes:

Equinox In The Sun w/Aftermarket Dust Cover

The vent holes failed miserably - they literally didn't do a lick of good. Instead, I'm now using Tony Hunt's (Detecting Innovations) excellent vinyl keypad stickers to protect the face, and a 3D printed rubberized plastic bumper that serves as impact protection - it's never overheated using this setup.
Attached Images

Oldest coin: 1834 Matron Head Large Cent (Honorable Mention: 1857 Flying Eagle Cent)
Oldest silver: 1854 Seated Liberty Quarter
Oldest foreign coin: 1844 Province of Canada Half Penny

Equinox 800 w/Steveís Detector Rods Complete Shaft & Herke Cuff; Pro Pointer II
Detecting Since 4/2017 - Addicted Since 5/2017

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-30-2021, 11:36 PM

Looks really nice buddy . So now that you've had a chance to swing it a little what do you think of the arm cuff padding? Is it easy to take on and off ais it washable?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Old 05-01-2021, 12:27 AM
Supporter

AirmetTango, tell us about the protective cover for the coil wire connector shown in picture 3 above. I've been covering the connector with a balloon when not attached.

Old 05-01-2021, 01:59 AM
Elite Member

I've been using the same cover as aj0421 for almost a year and really like it. It makes cleaning muddy fingerprints so much easier. Never had trouble in the heat, but then again I probably overheated before the Nox in the 90+ degree weather.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:20 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by JoeKeeling View post
Looks really nice buddy . So now that you've had a chance to swing it a little what do you think of the arm cuff padding? Is it easy to take on and off ais it washable?

I have the same cover and have been running it for a few months. I really like it. Yes, you can remove it fairly easily. Mine never gets that muddy so I usually spray it down with some Simple Green and just wipe it down. Same thing with the control box cover.

Old 05-01-2021, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by JoeKeeling View post

Hello JoeKeeling, I only tried it in front of my house for a few mins. It is better than nothing I believe and less than $20 I thought it was worth a try. I will post back after I have a few straight hours on it. It goes off and on very easy because it is only about a 1/8 thick and stretches. Washable I am not sure of, maybe just a good hand wash and let dry. I don't know if you fish but I would treat it just as I do with my stocking foot fishing waders which the booties are made of the same material. I rinse them from the salt water and sand and just let them air dry over my bathroom tub.

Old 05-04-2021, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by stetam View post
I have a charging port cover, but it lacks that little attachment point, which is an excellent idea....

I also use a control box cover but over heating issues is not something I am likely to expirience here in the UK.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:18 PM
Elite Member

Update - I've been using this cover for a year and on Memorial Day I noticed my display looked odd, a bit dark at the bottom and I could barely make out the settings icons. But I wasn't pressing the settings button! I took the cover off and the display returned to normal.

I'm pretty sure this was overheating. It was hot, the same day I sweated so much I ended up with severe leg cramps even though I was drinking.

Shame, I really liked the way it kept my pod clean on the muddy days.

Old 06-09-2021, 10:48 PM
Supporter

Your not one of these guys thaat uses clear vinyl furniture covers are you? 😁

Old 06-10-2021, 06:09 PM

Despite my earlier post, I had this happen the other day..the clear plastic part of the cover acted like a mini green house and heated the control unit to the point the display started to fade..once I removed the cover, the display returned to normal within a few minutes...