New (to me) Garrett Infinium LS!

don1357

Howdy folks, new guy here. I was looking for a machine to go poking for gold nuggets in mineralized soil (Petersville recreational mining area in Alaska) and this one in like-new condition popped up for $500. I figure I could do a whole lot worse for that kind of money.

This weekend I'm going to be running my high banker and walking around with the detector so we can get to know each other. For now the stock setup will do just fine but I can't help to wonder; what can I do to enhance the functionality of this detector? For the most part it is intended just as a nugget detector, I don't care much about parks, coins, or relics.

I'm not finding a whole lot of info on this model. I'm familiar with Garrett detectors from way back then; it sounds like on a very Garrett fashion they overhyped the machine which led to it not living to the marketing and thus end up hurting sales. I went for it because the technology (PI + ground balance) seemed a good fit for my target at this price point.

But again; while I see hacks and upgrades for other detectors I'm not seeing mods for this one. Are there worthy upgrades to be had beyond extra coils? Would non-Infinium coils work on it?

You're not going to find that much on it b/c it wasn't that popular of a machine. If I recall, one of its main problems was it's reliability issues.

You're not going to find that much on it b/c it wasn't that popular of a machine. If I recall, one of its main problems was it's reliability issues.

I'm just hoping that it being a PI unit it will have an easier time on the mineralized soil of Petersville. The bedrock has streaks of iron mineral and there are graphite slate hot rocks, that !!!! ends up on the gravel banks.

I'm just hoping that it being a PI unit it will have an easier time on the mineralized soil of Petersville. The bedrock has streaks of iron mineral and there are graphite slate hot rocks, that !!!! ends up on the gravel banks.

Only one way to find out! Don't forget to share your results with us. :yes:

I wish I could but I got sidetracked with high banking for gold :sorry2: I hit what I thought was a really good spot so I spent the entire day working it with the high banker. At the end I probably got close to two grams; enough to pay for gas and mining grounds access. I was hoping to do better.

Refresher course on high banking for gold: River flows, it drags small gold, which gets trapped in the crevices and on the clay bottom. You can dredge the river bottom, or you can find a dried up river bed to work. Where I was you could see that the river cut into the side into the old river location; you could see the cross section with plants on top, followed by dirt, followed by gravel and rocks, followed by what we call hard pan; a hard layer of clay that used to be the river bottom. I basically worked the gravel/rock layer and about an inch or tree of the clay layer hoping for gold deposits there. I honestly was hoping for twice as much as what we found but that's just how it sometimes go.

Next weekend I'm hitting Caribou Creek recreational mining area primarily for metal detecting. It is a huge open area in the river floodplain. It is hard just to figure out where to start but start we will.

https://www.detectorprospector.com/...-caribou-creek-recreational-gold-mining-area/

Welcome from Forney, Texas, just east of the big D, and a couple miles from the Garrett Factory...

I'm sure you've looked, but if not, try searching for the Garrett Infinium on YouTube, and FaceBook Groups. Might come up with some helpful info on one, or both, sites. Good luck, and hope you find the "big one"...

Back
Top Bottom