East Thompson Train Station

.... any hole I dig because there are so many nails. I can literally reach into a random hole and come out with a hand full of nails.....

Ouch. Ok. This is why so many Explorer users never updated to the CTX, and then to the 600 or 800 in the Minelab evolution. Because the subsequent Minelabs didn't allow for the in-line sunray probes. With the in-line probe you could instantly pinpoint to the conductive target, and ignore the nails.

What are you using to mark the ground there I see in blue? Oops nevermind I missed the chalk dust in your original post. Great idea!

What are you using to mark the ground there I see in blue? Oops nevermind I missed the chalk dust in your original post. Great idea!

I actually got that from an old thread on this forum about grid searching. This forum is a wealth of information.

No fun! That stuff is nasty I'm really allergic to it myself. Three leaves, leave it alone.

I always watch for it, as I'm pretty allergic to it myself. The only reason it's not worse is that I believe the dead vines I was rooting through were poison ivy, and it was dead, doesn't make much difference though.

Looks like I have one other find from yesterday, poison ivy all over my right arm.

I know what it looks like but I still get it at least once a year, I think it’s the roots that I end up digging through and getting it that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So another week, but it's supposed to rain most of this week, so I may not get to do much swinging in the site. I've contacted the Thompson Historical Society, and offered them the Artifacts from my explorations of the train station, they are very interested, I'll be meeting with them tomorrow or Wednesday. I really like the idea of putting the finds and history where others can learn about it. Since the society is going to build a museum on the site, why not help them fill it.

That’s a good idea, plus gives you an excuse to hit it more. It’s for the historical society after all. Maybe they will put one of those little plaques up “donated by”

I like the plaque idea, but my motivation was a bit more selfish, they have a crew of volunteers, I was hoping by donating, I could get them to rake the site, and remove the poison ivy vines. It's been a miserable itchy week. My wife already tells me to get out of the house and metal detect, so I really don't need and excuse for that. There are a few guys who patrol the area for the historical society, but they're very friendly and don't bother me, they're mostly there to prevent littering, since I take out buckets of trash that I dig up in the process of what I'm doing, and fill all my holes back in, they really like me being there. I kind of feel like one of the historians of the site.

Last edited:
So I met with the Historical Society representative, he was very pleased with the artifacts I donated to them. He had a lot of questions for me about the site, it turns out I had some unique viewpoints on the site, and actually was able to shed some light on a few aspects of it as I grew up across the street from it.
After about 2 hours with the rep., he asked if I was interested in entering into a relationship with the historical society, and do metal detecting for them. In return, I not only get access to the train station site I'm already exploring, but I also get access to all of the old maps of the area (survey maps with building locations), and 5 restricted plots of land that are no public access allowed, and also the use of permissions for the Historical Society representatives for abutting private properties(he apparently already asked if I could detect the properties). As part of the deal they get the "artifacts" I find and I get to keep any money/coins that I find regardless of age.

Nice research and story to go with it. Being a Connecticut native, I've read about this train crash a few years back. Good luck next time you hunt there.

Huge congrats on working with the historical society, you should be having some awesome hunts in the future.

A new season!

Hey everyone for my 200th post, winter came and went, the weather is starting to warm up, and the ground is starting to thaw. I had both a good day and a day off, so made the trek back to the old train station for a couple of hours. Found as usual a LOT of nails, and just when I was ready to give up for the day, my new Vanquish lit up like a Christmas tree, a really solid strong signal, but it was indicating it was deep. I dug, 2 inches nothing, 4 inches nothing, went as deep as 8 inches and finally felt something cool smooth and flat in the hole, dug around it, and pulled out a large round disk, here it is when I washed it off at home:

And for scale a zincoln next to it:

Even after washing it off, I still didn't have any idea what it was, time to hit the shop and the brass brush, took about 20 minutes, but finally got it cleaned up enough to see what I had, it's a brass luggage tag!

It says:
N.Y.N.H & H.R.P.
LOCAL
A13379

As far as I know, the Historical Society has never had a luggage tag for this station, I can't wait to present it to them and see their reactions!

Last edited:
Congrats on the historically significant find. It's super cool that you are able to collaborate with the local historical society and work out an agreement. I wish you luck wading through the nails and hope you come up with some more good finds!

Yeah the poison ivy I usually can avoid, the ticks I buy permethrin spray from my local hiking store, and spray my detecting clothes for.

Congrats on the historically significant find. It's super cool that you are able to collaborate with the local historical society and work out an agreement. I wish you luck wading through the nails and hope you come up with some more good finds!

Thank you, really I enjoy finding things for them, they let me keep coins I find. It's really fun watching their reactions when I turn over an artifact to them.

Back
Top Bottom