Digger Cutter Tool

steve-in-atco

I am right handed, do I want a left or right sided cutter tool? What is a good brand? Buy once cry once.

Thanks

Steve-in atco

I am right handed, do I want a left or right sided cutter tool? What is a good brand? Buy once cry once.

Thanks

Steve-in atco

Ergonomically, a right handed person should use a digger with the serrations on the left side. I couldn't fathom any roots in a counter clockwise circle with me being right handed. Honestly though? I've never had to cut that many roots in my years of the hobby. For a hand digger, I think the Lesche digger is still the best. MIne is nearly 10 years old. I did get my brother to serrate both sides, mine was serrated on the right when new. It's just that "counter clockwise motion" to saw through roots, using the right-sided serrations, really needs the serrations on the left side for me.

Thanks

Steve-in atco

Check out Grave Digger Tool's hand trowel, it is serrated on both sides and cuts nicely thru small tree roots. My first hand trowel I have ever bought and I feel could be my last because it is build so well!

Whites Digmaster is serrated on both sides. I love mine. I know Whites has been acquired by Garrett but you might be able to find one in stock somewhere.

Personally I would not get another spade with teeth on..

Teeth on digging tools seems to be a metal detecting thing but if you look at other professions that dig a lot, they tend to use a plain sided spades, which are often sharpened to produced a cutting edge.

A plain edged spade just cuts through the soil so much better....Teeth on a spade look the part, but IMHO are usually more trouble than they are worth simply because we can't get a sawing motion going while working in a hole, so in most cases, the teeth just hang up on stuff.

When I hunt in woodlands I carry a pair of small garden hand pruners and just snip through any small or medium sized roots I encounter....

The only real exception I have found the above are the "scalloped" serrations on a good hori-hori style knife..

if you are digging on a lawn, they go through turf with very little effort and enable a very neat plug to be cut....

Last edited:
I made my own shovel from half of a post hole tool I bought from Walmart ($25 on clearance!!!). It's a twofer! No serrations/saw teeth, but I edged the tip and the sides as well and ran a 10.00Xwhatever metric bolt thru the holes on the blade upper that permitted the post hole tool to clamshell, so that I can step on it. Handles are fiberglass with a steel casing reinforcement on the fiberglass tube inside where it attaches to the blade half with 10.00 metric bolts/locknuts. I'm experimenting to find out the step-on bolt(s) configuration I prefer. It has one piece, forged heavy steel blades and they have a slight taper so that if you sharpen the edge with a grinder/file nicely, it will cut fine roots well and the thing has enough presence to come down hard on half inch to inch size roots like an axe blade. I chopped the handle on one blade to a comfortable length. I can hole the shorter handle end and make a compact handle too, but lacking the steel insert tube. The bolts for standing on can be either one piece of two piece with a metric steel coupling to join them inside the forged folded sides of the blade half where it cradles the handle. I consider this shovel to be more of a turf/curb strip/nice soil tool and wouldn't use it on rocky soil and such (particularly w/ quartz pebbles/siliceous rocks and cobbles). If anyone is interested, I'll post a pic of the beast when I get near it again (I'm on a non-MD trip right now).

Last edited:
My Nokta Makro Digger ($30) has serrations on both sides. But i suspect Pete is correct, a plain sharp tool would be neater. For those pesky roots in the hole it might be best to carry a small pair of nippers.

This is an image of the hand forged and very expensive Sneeboer transplanting spade.

It's blade has a sharpened shallow inverted V which is quite unlike anything I have seen specifically designed for metal detecting...

The idea is that the shallow v "captures" the root as it being cut rather than having a tendency to push it aside as many pointed metal detecting spades will do.

I've not tried one of these spades myself, but I have to say the inverted V design looks a very interesting way of dealing with tree roots.

download.jpg

Last edited:
I think someone suffers from dyslexia at Lesche -

The left handed blade is better for righties, while the right handed blade is better for the lefties ...

Who wudda thunk? - lol

Back
Top Bottom