Scamper In a Kindergarten Totlot OR "A Hunt For The Birds!"

SageGrouse

Elite Member
Up until now I've been hitting the older kids' area of the school. the two large playgrounds at the far edge. Today though as I was trundling up with my detector, I discovered that the kiddie lot, the Kindergarten area was open! YAY! I do NOT open gates. If a gate is open, however, I'll enter.

First thihng I noticed was that the place looked like a mine field. About a couple dozen holes, each with a small pile of debris... DANG! Some stupid idiot must've hit the place with a detector and left all these for me to fill IN. #$%@&!!

Ohn well... I'm a good citizen, so I spoent around 90 minutes filling all the holes in and checking them for trash... no trash, no coins, nothing missed... so I then, hot and sweaty from all that work, began MY detecting. Found two quarters, five pennies and a dime... no jewelry, no earrings, rings, or anything of value. I did find 1 twiast of wire, 1 thumbtack (ouch!) i bobbypin and surprisingly no tyrash! Ah well. So I put the two quarters, five pennies and one dime into my finds bag, I put the wire and the bobby pin and the thumbtack (ouch!) in the trash and as I was digging... I found another of those fat pale white grubs that show up so often in the tanbark.
That's when the light came on! It had rained earlier this week. The holes I had so very conscientiously filled in weren't detectorist leavings! They were BIRD holes! Birds must come here to hunt those fat white grubs! The things would make a GREAT meal for a bird! Two inches long, about as thick through as a nickel or a woman's thumb, and maybe about a full thimblefull of yuck, they probably taste just GREAT! If you're a bird, that is.

Ninety precious swinging minutes wasted fixing bird holes. Oh well. At least some kid won't fall into one and break their lil neck!

And I'm 65 cents farther toward my goal of buying a Nox with my finds! At this rate... only 50 more years and I'll have one! :D
Sage(one day at a time!)Grouse

Neat story! I've noticed when I dig in my own yard my dogs will dig up a hole that I've dug and filled in. They must think I'm burying a bone:lol:

Back
Top Bottom