Is it good luck from the last hunt?

Metal detecto

Elite Member
I flipped out on this find, and I wish I could skip forward, but you'll have to bear with me. Okay. Ready? Gotcha popcorn? Let's start.

One Sunday afternoon. Crazy hot. I "pick up" (haha, get it :laughing:) Roberta and we go to the park. We even swing together (I'm a comedian!). Anyway, I turn to park 2 and swing. One hour passes by. I see another kid (Yay! Another detectorist!) with a Simplex+, and he seems to know a bit about detecting, cuts his plugs real nice. Turns out he's just visiting from Ohio to see his grandma. Chit chat about TID, and we go our separate ways. Almost forgot to noise cancel. Since he was already gridding where there was a huge beer party (I was gridding there but too many bottle caps), I go to the other side of the park. Undisturbed, not even by me. Swing some more, rake a few zinclons, then solid 22-23. "Dime!" I dig a plug and see something the size of a half-dollar. Nope, not a morgan dollar coinboy, your title is still held. Pull it out, and walla!

I know it's old, but what is it? Foreign coin?
Equinox 1.jpg

Equinox 2.jpg

Equinox 3.jpg

So excited!!!
Thing.jpg

Josh

Last edited:
Very nice! Did you get a date off it yet? Looks like one of these.

Attachments

• B4520DBD-ADA9-4025-8753-6B87FEAEC9DF.jpeg
    B4520DBD-ADA9-4025-8753-6B87FEAEC9DF.jpeg
    21.2 KB · Views: 392
Its not karma... karma is a imaginary feel good word for those who need it... :yes:

Congrats!!! Found one of those myself last year. A 1919 also. It's very odd to find one of those isn't it? Really... What is it doing here? May never know, but a thrill to find.

I flipped out on this find, and I wish I could skip forward, but you'll have to bear with me. Okay. Ready? Gotcha popcorn? Let's start.

One Sunday afternoon. Crazy hot. I "pick up" (haha, get it :laughing:) Roberta and we go to the park. We even swing together (I'm a comedian!). Anyway, I turn to park 2 and swing. One hour passes by. I see another kid (Yay! Another detectorist!) with a Simplex+, and he seems to know a bit about detecting, cuts his plugs real nice. Turns out he's just visiting from Ohio to see his grandma. Chit chat about TID, and we go our separate ways. Almost forgot to noise cancel. Since he was already gridding where there was a huge beer party (I was gridding there but too many bottle caps), I go to the other side of the park. Undisturbed, not even by me. Swing some more, rake a few zinclons, then solid 22-23. "Dime!" I dig a plug and see something the size of a half-dollar. Nope, not a morgan dollar coinboy, your title is still held. Pull it out, and walla!

I know it's old, but what is it? Foreign coin?
View attachment 483307

View attachment 483308

View attachment 483309

So excited!!!
View attachment 483319

Josh

Very nice coin! I’ve never found one of those. You are doing great!

I think some kids tend to throw odd coins around like tokens when they dont know what they really are. Could be someone found it in his grandpa's nightstand and put it in his pocket as a good luck charm, played with it in the park....and the rest is obvious.

I can see how unusual or exotic coins could appeal to the less-educated as simple charms.

I think some kids tend to throw odd coins around like tokens when they dont know what they really are. Could be someone found it in his grandpa's nightstand and put it in his pocket as a good luck charm, played with it in the park....and the rest is obvious.

I can see how unusual or exotic coins could appeal to the less-educated as simple charms.

Yeah, as it was buried only 4 inches deep. The Garrett carrot could see it.

I bet grandpa is ranting on about his missing goo luck charm!

Josh

The most common reason those reached the USA (with dates like that) , is that they came back, as souvenirs, with returning GI's from WWI and WWII. That's why foreign coins from the war (and occupation years) countries are found so often on military bases of those periods. And , yes, at anywhere the returning soldiers might have fumble-fingered them at.

Its not karma... karma is a imaginary feel good word for those who need it... :yes:

I like to think there is Karma both good and bad / The definition of karma is the destiny that you earn through your actions and behavior.
When you behave kindly, this is an example of a situation where you earn good karma that will result in good things happening to you in the future.

The most common reason those reached the USA (with dates like that) , is that they came back, as souvenirs, with returning GI's from WWI and WWII. That's why foreign coins from the war (and occupation years) countries are found so often on military bases of those periods. And , yes, at anywhere the returning soldiers might have fumble-fingered them at.

I think that's the most plausible answer. 1919 is around WW1.

Josh

I like to think there is Karma both good and bad / The definition of karma is the destiny that you earn through your actions and behavior.
When you behave kindly, this is an example of a situation where you earn good karma that will result in good things happening to you in the future.

Feel free to believe in it I don't... you don't get karma by finding someone's lost item that is a ridiculous assumption on the finders part...

If one believes in karma then every attempt should be made to return the said item so you can reap your karma...

Back
Top Bottom