Is it good luck from the last hunt?

Feel free to believe in it I don't... ...

The word (if google/wiki is to be trusted) has its origins in eastern religion/philosophy. So that alone can bug some of us westerners. Who have world-view differences. But ... heck.... it doesn't matter WHAT the origin of *that* particular word is, it still just reeks of an implication that: There is something outside of ourselves . That/who is "sorting out deeds", blah blah. And we simply *can't go there*. Right ? :roll: I get it.

And even if we subscribe to strict physicalism, then : Someone could still try to say the pithy saying : "What comes around goes around". But even that isn't actually true. Because persons who refuse to help, never contribute, etc... and simply take-advantage of other's hospitalities and handouts, actually DO QUITE FINE. So ironically : Selfishness and greed actually aid: ALL THE MORE to: "Get your genes into the next generation". Right ? :?:

I had this debate with a close md'ing buddy of mine. He questioned why I would take newbies to spots that we busted our balls to research and find. He'd ask something like: "Since when have they showed US sites?" As if, he was unwilling to befriend a fellow md'r, unless *they first* showed us some producing sites. Otherwise, they'd potentially just be one-way-leeches . Or that there would be "less goodies for us".

At first, my feeble defense was to say that : "In the future, they're likely to reciprocate." (ie.: karma, if you want to call it that). But then one day I came to my senses and realized: "Wait !!?? Is that what it's all about ? Is all our acts of kindness SIMPLY because we 'expect something in return?' " . Or is it possible (just maybe) that you do something kind for another person, with no expectation of payment/reciprocation ?

For example: If you help a little old lady across the street, are you doing so because you expect her to give you $10 ? Or maybe, just maybe, might get zero recognition, zero pay, etc.... ?

So the point is: Even if this silly Karma term were untrue (and you will simply be spit upon, in return) : SO WHAT ! If the point of life is to always "avoid being spit on" (and/or to "maximize our own wealth"), then sure: Don't ever share. Don't ever expend your energy to help others, etc....

If all we exist for, is to "get our genes into the next generation", then yes: We should all do *only* what "benefits us". Think about it.

Very nicely said. :thumbsup:

The word (if google/wiki is to be trusted) has its origins in eastern religion/philosophy. So that alone can bug some of us westerners. Who have world-view differences. But ... heck.... it doesn't matter WHAT the origin of *that* particular word is, it still just reeks of an implication that: There is something outside of ourselves . That/who is "sorting out deeds", blah blah. And we simply *can't go there*. Right ? :roll: I get it.

And even if we subscribe to strict physicalism, then : Someone could still try to say the pithy saying : "What comes around goes around". But even that isn't actually true. Because persons who refuse to help, never contribute, etc... and simply take-advantage of other's hospitalities and handouts, actually DO QUITE FINE. So ironically : Selfishness and greed actually aid: ALL THE MORE to: "Get your genes into the next generation". Right ? :?:

I had this debate with a close md'ing buddy of mine. He questioned why I would take newbies to spots that we busted our balls to research and find. He'd ask something like: "Since when have they showed US sites?" As if, he was unwilling to befriend a fellow md'r, unless *they first* showed us some producing sites. Otherwise, they'd potentially just be one-way-leeches . Or that there would be "less goodies for us".

At first, my feeble defense was to say that : "In the future, they're likely to reciprocate." (ie.: karma, if you want to call it that). But then one day I came to my senses and realized: "Wait !!?? Is that what it's all about ? Is all our acts of kindness SIMPLY because we 'expect something in return?' " . Or is it possible (just maybe) that you do something kind for another person, with no expectation of payment/reciprocation ?

For example: If you help a little old lady across the street, are you doing so because you expect her to give you $10 ? Or maybe, just maybe, might get zero recognition, zero pay, etc.... ?

So the point is: Even if this silly Karma term were untrue (and you will simply be spit upon, in return) : SO WHAT ! If the point of life is to always "avoid being spit on" (and/or to "maximize our own wealth"), then sure: Don't ever share. Don't ever expend your energy to help others, etc....

If all we exist for, is to "get our genes into the next generation", then yes: We should all do *only* what "benefits us". Think about it.

You are mister nice guy and take people to spots you researched and what will happen those guys will get better and then bring their friends... I will not share my spots with anyone I do not trust... I can count the number of people one 1 hand who I trust not to give up what I researched and if one or more of them gave up what I researched and shared never again would I take them anywhere... I'm a hard ass when it comes to my research and my opinions... "just ask Scuba" lol.. karma is nothing more than a feel good word for those who wish to believe in it...

If I returned an gold ring and the next day I went out and found another it wasn't from karma it was my coil went over it period.

If I returned an gold ring and the next day I went out and found another it wasn't from karma it was my coil went over it period.

No dispute there. The recipe to collecting and keeping the "most gold rings", is to not participate in posse-hunts (and/or stick the ring in your pocket and tell the person "sorry, I can't find it" )

You are mister nice guy and take people to spots you researched and what will happen those guys will get better and then bring their friends... I will not share my spots with anyone I do not trust... I can count the number of people one 1 hand who I trust not to give up what I researched and if one or more of them gave up what I researched and shared never again would I take them anywhere... I'm a hard ass when it comes to my research and my opinions... "just ask Scuba" lol.. karma is nothing more than a feel good word for those who wish to believe in it...

We all have different perspectives! I'm loving this thread. I don't have any views on karma, I think that it was just luck. Everyone here knows what luck is, right? It's the colorful cereal with the Irish dude.

81z7JObRqgL._SX425_.jpg

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Josh

I know i have shared a few decent spots i have found that were decent to fairly new hunters , because i wanted them to find something even if just clad. I am always researching new areas for my self anyway. I recall how hard it was when i first started out to find places to detect, not knowing where you could detect or not . getting most of my information from detecting magazines like Lost Treasure magazine , long before i found this forum. I know i have also got a lot of good information on here from Detectors who had many years of experience under their coils. Karma or not i get a good feeling helping others when i can . Some times it is nothing more than taking 15 or 20 minutes out of my time to explain about metal detecting .

It is not uncommon for coins to be in circulation for many years. People travel all over this world and it is also not uncommon to come home with some foreign coins in your pockets. I picked up a 1945 20 centavos coin in the PI. Found a 1941 detecting. The 45 was minted in Denver and the 41 in Manila. I recently had a young man ask if i had any foreign coins he could buy from me. NOPE they are not for sale. But i bagged up a bunch that i had picked up over the years and gave them to him.

Every traveler that visits a foreign country is a potential source of a coin lost in a park etc.

I know i have shared a few decent spots i have found that were decent to fairly new hunters , because i wanted them to find something even if just clad. I am always researching new areas for my self anyway. I recall how hard it was when i first started out to find places to detect, not knowing where you could detect or not . getting most of my information from detecting magazines like Lost Treasure magazine , long before i found this forum. I know i have also got a lot of good information on here from Detectors who had many years of experience under their coils. Karma or not i get a good feeling helping others when i can . Some times it is nothing more than taking 15 or 20 minutes out of my time to explain about metal detecting .

I have no problems helping others especially new people to the hobby.. if some stops me and asks about the hobby of water hunting sure I will help them out...

I remember helping out PI JOE.. he was watching me detect his home beach before he got into water hunting and I was trying to teach him that his home beach didn't hold any gold :laughing:

Philippines / American coins

It is not uncommon for coins to be in circulation for many years. People travel all over this world and it is also not uncommon to come home with some foreign coins in your pockets. I picked up a 1945 20 centavos coin in the PI. Found a 1941 detecting. The 45 was minted in Denver and the 41 in Manila. I recently had a young man ask if i had any foreign coins he could buy from me. NOPE they are not for sale. But i bagged up a bunch that i had picked up over the years and gave them to him.

Every traveler that visits a foreign country is a potential source of a coin lost in a park etc.

the 1941 Philippines coin would of had the M mint mark , for the USA mint in Manila . Those would of been the last American minted coins from that mint. The mint was destroyed in the re-taking of the Philippines by American forces. The 1944 and 1945 coins were minted in the states and came back over with the troops to put money back in circulation. I like to keep some foreign coins in a special pirate pouch inside my finds pouch , when kids come up and ask questions i can give them a nice big clean foreign coin , instead of a dirty discolored out of the ground coin . Most of the time you would of thought i just gave them a whole pirates treasure. Who knows might be the next future treasure hunter.

I have no problems helping others especially new people to the hobby.. if some stops me and asks about the hobby of water hunting sure I will help them out...

I remember helping out PI JOE.. he was watching me detect his home beach before he got into water hunting and I was trying to teach him that his home beach didn't hold any gold :laughing:

:lol::lol: True story indeed back in 2005. You fail to mention, what was my thought at that point in time how I wanted to wrap your scoop around your neck with your BS. :laughing: Those next several years we destroy the shoreline.... Great memories. ;)

:lol::lol: True story indeed back in 2005. You fail to mention, what was my thought at that point in time how I wanted to wrap your scoop around your neck with your BS. :laughing: Those next several years we destroy the shoreline.... Great memories. ;)

I also remembered a newbie coming up to you on your home beach and you setting his sensitivity so high all he would find would be coins... you eliminated all the chances of the guy ever finding gold :laughing:

I also remembered a newbie coming up to you on your home beach and you setting his sensitivity so high all he would find would be coins... you eliminated all the chances of the guy ever finding gold :laughing:

That is just wrong. Just plain evil. (I'm going to have to remember this tactic :laughing: )

Look at this fine mess. Very entertaining.

Started with this:
I flipped out on this find, and I wish I could skip forward, but you'll have to bear with me. Okay. Ready? Gotcha popcorn? Let's start.

One Sunday afternoon. Crazy hot. I "pick up" (haha, get it :laughing:) Roberta and we go to the park. We even swing together (I'm a comedian!). Anyway, I turn to park 2 and swing. One hour passes by. I see another kid (Yay! Another detectorist!) with a Simplex+, and he seems to know a bit about detecting, cuts his plugs real nice. Turns out he's just visiting from Ohio to see his grandma. Chit chat about TID, and we go our separate ways. Almost forgot to noise cancel. Since he was already gridding where there was a huge beer party (I was gridding there but too many bottle caps), I go to the other side of the park. Undisturbed, not even by me. Swing some more, rake a few zinclons, then solid 22-23. "Dime!" I dig a plug and see something the size of a half-dollar. Nope, not a morgan dollar coinboy, your title is still held. Pull it out, and walla!

I know it's old, but what is it? Foreign coin?
View attachment 483307

View attachment 483308

View attachment 483309

So excited!!!
View attachment 483319

Josh

Now to this Philosophy-beach hunting-karma returning- good old 2005 days-ing heap! The best part? I LOVE IT!

Josh

Back
Top Bottom