TRX versus F-Pulse

I think the video says it all vs the Garrett at least. I have a TRX and no complaints. If for some reason (big target, length of wire) its sounding off loudly and you can't pinpoint the exact direction, tapping the button detunes it so you can. I feel like the stronger signal it has when you detune, the more detuning it does, so sometimes its better to back away a bit before detuning. I also like that the TRX responds FAST. Tried a chinese knockoff carrot, and realized it wasn't just the poor range, it was the delay in responding that made it frustrating to use. On the surface with the TRX I may get a steady tick tick tick tick, then I find the spot where it does a double-tick, repeatedly, easily. Dig there, coin depth 3-4 inches. Ok, one complaint, but probably universal to any device with just one button -- trying to remember the sequences to change between sound, vibe, and sound+vibe, and lord help you, any extended settings. A second button would have been nice.

No F-Pulse experience. I like a lot of depth, so I'd like to try one, but iirc its not that much deeper than a TRX (if at all?) so not on the shopping list anytime soon.

I think the video says it all vs the Garrett at least. I have a TRX and no complaints. If for some reason (big target, length of wire) its sounding off loudly and you can't pinpoint the exact direction, tapping the button detunes it so you can. I feel like the stronger signal it has when you detune, the more detuning it does, so sometimes its better to back away a bit before detuning. I also like that the TRX responds FAST. Tried a chinese knockoff carrot, and realized it wasn't just the poor range, it was the delay in responding that made it frustrating to use. On the surface with the TRX I may get a steady tick tick tick tick, then I find the spot where it does a double-tick, repeatedly, easily. Dig there, coin depth 3-4 inches. Ok, one complaint, but probably universal to any device with just one button -- trying to remember the sequences to change between sound, vibe, and sound+vibe, and lord help you, any extended settings. A second button would have been nice.

No F-Pulse experience. I like a lot of depth, so I'd like to try one, but iirc its not that much deeper than a TRX (if at all?) so not on the shopping list anytime soon.

Thanks for your insight. The TRX has been discontinued, and they're usually available used, although there might be source of new ones, but they cost $200.

From youtube, it appears the Mi-4 and Mi-6 by XP have similar "closing ranges" or ratcheting abilities as the TRX, but are cheaper. I think the Mi-4 is only $120.

The F-Pulse goes to a solid hum at roughly 3/4" before the target hits the tip. My TRX goes solid tone under 1/2" but it does lock also. That indicates that the Carrot hits solid tone and quits ratchet over an inch away.

Hope this helps. Honestly, I never really thought about the ratchet sequence very much. They do it differently, and the TRX "appears" to be more slick. I always carry both the TRX and the F-Pulse.

The F-Pulse goes to a solid hum at roughly 3/4" before the target hits the tip. My TRX goes solid tone under 1/2" but it does lock also. That indicates that the Carrot hits solid tone and quits ratchet over an inch away.

Hope this helps. Honestly, I never really thought about the ratchet sequence very much. They do it differently, and the TRX "appears" to be more slick. I always carry both the TRX and the F-Pulse.

I didn't either, until I tried using my Garrett Carrot on full sensitivity for a few digs...

I've always run max sensitivity on all my pointers, the ones which have the quick de-tuning capability. That's another topic though.

Detuning doesn't work that well, as whenever I do it, I get very limited ratcheting or closing range.

Detuning doesn't work that well, as whenever I do it, I get very limited ratcheting or closing range.

When you get to the point of needing to detune you shouldn't need much ratcheting. As TM said above, try retuning a little further away from the target so you're basically not turning the sensitivity down quite as much. It only take a second or two. GL

Last edited:
I'm currently using the Garrett Carrot and looking at all possibilities at speeding up my recovery time.
I use the TRX and the f-pulse and can find targets very quickly. I haven't noticed any ratcheting problems with either one. Now that you mentioned ratcheting problems with the carrot that is probably why I didn't like using it although if you retuned it or set the sensitivity lower it may be fine.
To make my recoveries the quickest I use one of the two pp depending on the size holes I'm digging.
I use the TRX with tip detection when using trowels and making small, narrow diameter, holes. For holes dug with my shovel I use the f-pulse with 360 degree detection.

.... .Ok, one complaint, but probably universal to any device with just one button -- trying to remember t..e sequences to change between sound, vibe, and sound+vibe, and lord help you, any extended settings. A second button would have been nice.

I never adjust and I seldom accidentally hold the button too long on my TRX, it's always on the same setting. On the other hand I have to be real careful with the f-pulse accidentally going into settings and it's far more confusing. Fortunately the first adjustment I believe is the light. So mine is on/off 50% of the time..
As far as depth my first f-pulse was as deep as the TRX, which is the deepest pp made, but the replacement is a little less deep and is still the second deepest pp I know of.

When you get to the point of needing to detune you shouldn't need much ratcheting. As TM said above, try retuning a little further away from the target so you're basically not turning the sensitivity down quite as much. It only take a second or two. GL

I tried that and didn't notice a difference; the poor ratcheting remained.

I use the TRX and the f-pulse and can find targets very quickly. I haven't noticed any ratcheting problems with either one. Now that you mentioned ratcheting problems with the carrot that is probably why I didn't like using it although if you retuned it or set the sensitivity lower it may be fine.
To make my recoveries the quickest I use one of the two pp depending on the size holes I'm digging.
I use the TRX with tip detection when using trowels and making small, narrow diameter, holes. For holes dug with my shovel I use the f-pulse with 360 degree detection.

From what I've seen and heard, the ratcheting of the F-Pulse is a little better than the Carrot, but nowhere near as good as the TRX. It also appears the XP Mi-4 and Mi-6 have ratcheting abilities that rival the TRX.

I never adjust and I seldom accidentally hold the button too long on my TRX, it's always on the same setting. On the other hand I have to be real careful with the f-pulse accidentally going into settings and it's far more confusing. Fortunately the first adjustment I believe is the light. So mine is on/off 50% of the time..
As far as depth my first f-pulse was as deep as the TRX, which is the deepest pp made, but the replacement is a little less deep and is still the second deepest pp I know of.

"As far as depth my first f-pulse was as deep as the TRX"

MAN!, was the first iteration of the F-Pulse delivered by First Texas SWEET! I still remember enjoying it so much for the near-two weeks before it went wonky.

Back
Top Bottom