Garett Ace 250 & the 9x12" Rhino coil

dpitt8

Elite Member
For those w/ this model and that coil what differences have you seen compared to the standard 6.5x9" PROformance Coil that comes with it? Was wondering since I saw on KellyCo one offer w/ the coil and one w/o and was wondering if the extra money would be worth it if I choose the Ace 250 as my first metal detector.

I have the Ace 250 with the stock coil, the 9"x12" coil and the 4.5" Sniper coil. I used them all under different circumstances. I use the 9"x12" coil in the dry sand at the beach and in large, relatively clean areas. You can cover allot of ground quickly with the 9"x12". The 4.5" sniper is great for trashy areas. Thinking about it, I rarely use the stock coil anymore.

Back to your original question, yes, I think the 9"x12" coil is a must-have. I'd say the same for the 4.5" Sniper coil too, but that's not your question.

Is it worth the difference in price? You'll have to decide that. The coils usually run around $85 new, so look at both deals and see if you'll be saving money or not. If not, you can always get the 9"x12" at a later time. Also, perhaps there are other valuables that come with the higher priced deal.

Edit: I just realized that I forgot to add the point that you do get some additional depth with the 9"x12" coil over the stock coil, so if you are looking for deep items, the 9"x12" will help.

Last edited:
Garrett 250

Hi!
I am a newbie too! I just received my Garrett Ace 250 three days ago. I had never even held a detector before, but after three days, I love it! I found 2 quarters, a dime, 3 pennies, some trash stuff and a gold-thingy ( not sure if it is a chunk of gold or brass)..LOL!!
I posted pics of my first treasure...
Anyway, I also plan to purchase the larger coil once I get used to pinpointing with the stock coil.....Also!!! When you order your detector, be sure to order a coil cover!!!!!!!!!!
( I had to order one today as I didn't realize how important they are!!!!!!!!)

Good luck and HH!!!
tvic25

thanks....just trying to gather as much info as possible....with no dealers close by to physically try the dectectors I am looking at *sad* but that is why forums exist :)

if im detecting a large area such as a farm field i use the 9x12. the rest of the time i use my sniper coil for my ace. pinpointing with the sniper is a breeze and depth is fairly good i turn my sensitivity all the way up with the sniper this method seems to work great for me. going from the sniper to the 9x12 and pinpointing is a disaster for me so beware.

Back
Top Bottom