Coin To Use When Benchmarking Pinpointers

Martin_V3i

Elite Member
I have recently found out that simple American nickels really compliment the air test performance on all these current pinpointers. Why?

What's the most current coinshooter's kinda coins normally found during hunts? Dimes and pennies and quarters.

Why doesn't all of us benchmarkers on their pinpointers, pick just one coin to call a standard for testing.

It wasn't that long ago where I read somebody who benchmarked a buried can.

We need just one simple penny-dime-or-quarter. If it's the nickel, so be it, yet nickel seems to detect best with a pinpointer, regardless of it's operating frequency.

Freqs generally run in the 10-15khz with pinpointers. Why the nickel?

Bench marking what? Distance? That would probably end up being the TRX. But not everyone enjoys or wants to use the TRX because it is too powerful. Some want to dial it down to setting two or three of four. Some hate the tip only detection and prefer the entire blade detection. Some need a waterproof pin pointer. Some get interference from certain pin pointers and their detector. So as you can see bench marking implies there will be a winner, but not everyone wants the same thing.

Last edited:
Bench marking what? Distance? That would probably end up being the TRX. But not everyone enjoys or wants to use the TRX because it is too powerful. Some want to dial it down to setting two or three of four. Some hate the tip only detection and prefer the entire blade detection. Some need a waterproof pin pointer. Some get interference from certain pin pointers and their detector. So as you can see bench marking implies there will be a winner, but not everyone wants the same thing.

I was talking about all pinpointers,,,not aiming at extremes like the TRX. Lets take the original Propointer, the Carrot and then the Propointer II to start. It's the baseline for say a dime or penny.

There should always be winners, so a consistent baseline sample such as a clad dime is logical.

Yes, for distance.

BTW, your reference about the TRX being supreme...the Pistol Probe kicks butt against the TRX.

Overall, I am just trying to set a BASELINE standard item for comparison pertaining to air test distance detection.

That can't be a can, but it should at a minimum be a simple American coin, right?

A benchmark would be helpful, I think. Some want more depth, others just want an inch or two, just to locate the target after the plug is removed. I've already gotten a good idea about how deep, and where the target is, before I lay my detector down to dig. Don't really want or need a lot of depth. The ProPointer (when it still worked), would go off on all the little bits of rusted nails, had to detune it. Wasn't any better than the Centech. Least the Centech still is working just fine for my needs.

thought iseen whites advertise the trx as waterproof to 10 ft....certified?

Back
Top Bottom