Newspaper archives online?

bazooka

Has anyone used newspaperarchive.com? I'm interested subscribing but it's certainly not exhaustive and doesn't cover most of the towns around me, although it has a few. Does anyone know of other more exhaustive online archives or is the library the best way to go?

Has anyone used newspaperarchive.com? I'm interested subscribing but it's certainly not exhaustive and doesn't cover most of the towns around me, although it has a few. Does anyone know of other more exhaustive online archives or is the library the best way to go?

A buddy of mine has used vintage newspapers, that have key-word search ability, to search for key words like "picnic" (hoping to find small-town defunct country picnic spots). And he's come up with some interesting results. Which we then cross-reference with other sources to hone down where the sites are.

And I don't think he's every paid to subscribe. I think the way he does it is to take advantage of their free-trial-periods. And as soon as the subscription is up, he does it via a new email address .

Yeah yeah, I know, that's cheating. But .... you asked :shock: :roll:

newspaperarchive.com has a search feature so it's probably the same one. I wasn't aware it had the search feature so I'm trying it out now.

I use genealogybank.com for genealogy research as they have a good selection of newspapers.

Newspapers.com is a subscription archive similar to newspaperarchive.com. Coverage might be a little different - you can browse the towns/titles in their collection using this tool: https://www.newspapers.com/browse/

I do use newspapers.com personally, as it supplements the general historical research I like to do. But that said, your library is probably more likely to have a better selection of older, local newspapers for your specific area…and it’s probably free.

I go onto my local newspapers web page and can use my kids school id to read all the archives for free.

I was going through the lost and found post. I wanted find a post about a lost ring in the 1800's and go find it. I tried but have not found any yet.

A buddy of mine has used vintage newspapers, that have key-word search ability, to search for key words like "picnic" (hoping to find small-town defunct country picnic spots). And he's come up with some interesting results. Which we then cross-reference with other sources to hone down where the sites are.

And I don't think he's every paid to subscribe. I think the way he does it is to take advantage of their free-trial-periods. And as soon as the subscription is up, he does it via a new email address .

Yeah yeah, I know, that's cheating. But .... you asked :shock: :roll:

As far as using a new email address goes, you can actually use the same email address multiple times.

If you have an email address at gmail at least. Let's say you have the email address of [email protected]

The following email addresses will go to your regular inbox, but NOT be detected as the same email in forms:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

As far as using a new email address goes, you can actually use the same email address multiple times.

If you have an email address at gmail at least. Let's say you have the email address of [email protected]

The following email addresses will go to your regular inbox, but NOT be detected as the same email in forms:

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

oOooohhhh, someone's being SNEAKY here. Eh ? :laughing:

A lot of libraries or historical societies will have them.

The library of Congress also has a pretty decent collection: https://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/newspapers/?state=Texas&ethnicity=&language=

UNT has many digitized too:
https://texashistory.unt.edu/explore/collections/TDNP/

I've used this one from the state of georgia: https://gahistoricnewspapers.galileo.usg.edu/

As far as exhaustive, a library's microfilm archives will be your best bet.

That Texas history link is a gold mine. I'm reading a paper from a town down the road from the 1890's, incredible stuff. Not yet helpful as far as specific locations, but a glimpse into how people lived then. Thanks so much for these links.

Back
Top Bottom