Anyone in Southern MA/RI area?

I hunt RI/CT/NH probably a dozen times a year or more. I'm always down for a road trip. Usually hunt the beaches, but have hunted a little dirt. PM me if you want to meet up sometime!

I’m in Ashby MA. I have no problem driving anywhere in New England to meet up with someone who is looking for a hunting buddy

... Given MA laws, I'd rather drive to RI than deal with a fine and possible seizure of my gear.

Huh ? What MA laws are you referring to ?

And question for you : Can you cite ANYONE in MA, who has had "fines" or "seizures of gear", for md'ing ?

And for this question ^^ I'm Not "obvious historic sensitive monuments". I'm referring to normal mundane parks, beaches, forests, school yards, et...... Ok, got any examples ? :?:

I met someone last year who claimed to have got in trouble for detecting in a DCR-run park and had a $1000 fine plus his detector seized. There's a thread on the MA law here: http://www.mdhtalk.org/cf/city-regulation.cfm?st=MA It looks like the intent of the law was to protect state forests, but it's written in such a way that anything run by DCR technically falls under it.

In my experience so far it's a pretty mixed bag. DCR is more or less shut down across the state due to the pandemic. I had been calling and leaving messages since I got my detector, but wasn't able to reach a single office. Sometime in December I finally realized that these DCR offices were shut down which meant that authority reverted to the local PD or trooper barracks depending upon who has jurisdiction over the area. In calling the local police department / trooper barracks, I have either been able to get verbal permission for a given day and time, or blanket permission to search depending upon the site. I have only been refused for 1 park and 2 beaches so far.

All that said, I have had much better luck in NH and RI in terms of finds than I have in MA. So far the most interesting I have found in MA was an old pin that just said, "MAYO!". Go figure.

Back
Top Bottom