Harbor Freight metal detector parts

Sheridan

Hi everyone,
I have the 9 function Harbor Freight metal detector, model 62307, and it looks like the search coil has gone bad. I know it's a cheap detector, but I would like to see if I can either get another Harbor Freight coil, or replace it with an off brand coil, or make one myself. Does anyone know if Harbor Freight supplies coils for these metal detectors, and if they don't, is there a different brand of search coil that would work? Also, I'm willing to try to make a coil if I can't get one. Has anyone replaced the coil on one of these metal detectors? Thanks for any information you can give me.

Making a coil will be difficult, and HF doesn't have a big line of detectors, so I doubt you'll be able to get some. Even Mineilab, who have dozens of detectors, don't have many spare parts for them!

Josh

Thanks. That's pretty interesting that even big companies don't offer many spare parts. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Has anyone on here built any coils, and if so, is matching resistance the most important thing to remember, or is there a lot more to it than that?

Thanks. That's pretty interesting that even big companies don't offer many spare parts. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Has anyone on here built any coils, and if so, is matching resistance the most important thing to remember, or is there a lot more to it than that?

It makes perfect "cents" [sense].

Why would they sell you a part when they can sell you a brand new machine? Or, they only sell parts through authorized repair centers and only those repair centers are allowed to make the repairs themselves.

There's a reason the "right-to-repair" movement/trend is a thing.

Making a coil will be difficult, and HF doesn't have a big line of detectors, so I doubt you'll be able to get some. Even Mineilab, who have dozens of detectors, don't have many spare parts for them!

Josh

Oh, they have plenty of spare parts, at least for current machines.

Minelab won't sell parts to consumers directly. At least, that was the case the last time I looked into buying a part myself.

I apologize, because I didn't even think about the "right to repair" aspect if it. Of course they aren't going to sell parts directly to consumers, because they can't make any money that way. I have been fixing things since I was a little kid, and just assumed that I could get parts to fix my detector. I apologize for the dumb question and the even dumber assumption. I need to remember the old saying about assuming anything.

I apologize, because I didn't even think about the "right to repair" aspect if it. Of course they aren't going to sell parts directly to consumers, because they can't make any money that way. I have been fixing things since I was a little kid, and just assumed that I could get parts to fix my detector. I apologize for the dumb question and the even dumber assumption. I need to remember the old saying about assuming anything.

No need to apologize! And your question wasn't dumb. Even though many (most?) companies take steps to prevent consumers from repairing their products, that doesn't mean all companies do that. So it doesn't hurt to ask.

If I came across negative in any way, I apologize for that. Any "tone" I might have had would have been directed to Harbor Freight (aka: "Hazard Fraught") and the industry trend of making it harder to allow customers to repair their own products.

No need for you to apologize. I didn't take any of your comments in a negative way. Thanks for the information.

I would take it back to HF, they are usually great about exchanges even if you might be out of warranty.

Back
Top Bottom