Create your own cache--What would you do?

Len

I've been kicking around the idea of creating a cache and burying it for a future treasure hunter to find long after I'm gone. It's kind of intriguing to think about how our hobby will evolve over the next, say, 100 years. What kind of equipment will be available? Where would be a good place to hide the cache? What should the cache contain?? What do you think you would do?
Len

I have thought about that too. The thing is, where to hide it. As much building and new things going up, even in 10-20 years it could be covered up, not to mention 100 years.
Good question.
pop

I think my back yard would be a good spot ;) I think it's a pretty cool idea though. Leave a note in there as well.

A plastic container (pill bottle) put the state quarter of the state you live and new nickels in it with a note telling the finder thanks for continuing our hobby. :yes: Cladius.

Funny this should come up because we buried a "time capsule" when our daughter was a baby, maybe a few years old. I remember puting it together and buring it, but for the life of me I can't remember right now. It was in a sealed container, but I can't remember exactly what type of container, it had pictures of us in it with writing on the back, a copy of the day's newspaper and some other trinkets of the time.

Pretty sad, ey? We can't remember where it is.... but it's somewhere that would be significant to us. It had to have been at least 10 years ago we buried the thing....

Wow... never really thought of it until you mentioned it... If I remember right, we buried it with some old friends who are no longer friends...

I have done some geocaching. Made 199 caches in less then 2 years. Now, hiding is very very easy. The difficult part is... finding the cache, again.

And make a cache, so that SOMEONE ELSE is able to find it.

Now, try to do this 199 times.... :P

No detector needed, just a GPS unit...

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium (199 caches MADE, 199 caches ACTIVE TODAY)

Bob, I'm gonna admit my ignorance. I'm only slightly aware of geocaching, but are you saying nobody has found any of your caches? How is this possible?
Len

Len said:
Bob, I'm gonna admit my ignorance. I'm only slightly aware of geocaching, but are you saying nobody has found any of your caches? How is this possible?
Len

On the contrary : EVERYBODY (who needs to) finds it. Only, those who are NOT into geocaching may not find them, Len !

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

Got it. Just out of curiosity, are they over there or in the states or all the above?

Len said:
Got it. Just out of curiosity, are they over there or in the states or all the above?

Just visit www.geocaching.com Len !

There must be THOU-SANDS of caches in the US ; I made 199 in Belgium and there must be like a 1000, here. You can make as many and as difficult ones as you want to. There is no limit. The problem is to MAINTAIN them... This afternoon, I'll be busy reparing and maintaining 3 of them. Will cost me hours. But you like it or you don't...

You can chose.

BOB VALDEZ, Belgium

Hi Len, know now what, I've thought of doing the same thing. I got a safe box full od 1 and 2 cent pieces that are out of circulation, that I've detected. There not worth much, but I've thought about burying them somewhere, where they are likely to be dug. I'm just wondering what to bury them in. Glass lasts, but the lids rust and corrode. Wood also rots, so what would be a good container to put them in, that'll last for years?
HH Angela :?: :grin:

just think the geo cache and club hunts are bull albeit some brain work and research and comaraderie and such. Like catching crappie in a barrell. But the possibility of an UNKNOWN cache, or finding the dropped seated liberty half in the middle of nowhere. To me thats what its about. Just an opinion, tho :roll:

Been thinking about the container problem. How about PVC capped at both ends?

Actually that's an idea Len. Maybe some silicon around the edges to make it waterproof. Is there some way to mark the container on the outside, so a person finding it, will recognise it's something different, and not ignore it?
HH Angela :grin:

My dad, who is 70, is really into geocaching. My mom knows when he's getting ready to go out hunting when he sits in front of his computer all day being real quiet, then come out the next morning with a handful of printouts and his GPS.
He's become good enough at the computer to post and retrieve info on the geocache site, and for a non-high school grad of his age, I think that's something.
He makes and hides caches too. He drills out logs, puts a pvc pipe in them, then fits a plug over the opening. He also makes fake boulders by spraying expanding foam over plastic coffee containers,rolling them in gravel and dirt, then aging them under shrubs in his yard until he's ready to hide them.
It keeps him physically and mentally active, and (mostly) out of trouble.
It works for a lot of people, and gives them a community of people to correspond with, same as here.
Personally, I'd rather go out day after day looking for "real" hidden treasure and come home empty handed than bag several caches in a day, but different strokes, baby,

So would I. But I think it's wonderful that your dad is so active and enjoying his new hobby. God bless him.

Trudy

Zinc pennies are going to be scarce as quick as they break down. How about a roll of uncirculated zincs sealed and buried say 14 inches deep in the park? So only the future Whites ZFX can find it. ;)

Jack

I did about 10 years ago. After having so much fun finding stuff I decided I'd give some back. I took some of my best finds from over the years and buried it. The box contains more than $2,000 just in old coins. Quite a few local people know about it and have been looking for it. I put two clues to the treasure in two books in our public library.

Back
Top Bottom