$350-$499

spec

Looking for a MD in the $350-$450 range and am considering the Prism IV or V. Plan to do a little of everything but am more interested in beach hunting. I fly for a guy who ownes a house in the Florida PH so I'm here alot looking for things to do.

Also spend a lot of time in the Central Texas area and hope to do a little treasure hunting while there as well.

So, will the IV or V suite me well for these missions or should I be condisering something else?

The plane has storage lockers on the wings that a MD will fit in.... But, it would be exposed to extremely cold temps. Will this exposure harm the electronics in new detectors?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Spec.

as long as your in the dry sand most machines will do ok,but if you get down in the wet sand you might start to get false signals... a good multi.frequency machine will work much better an give you the best depth at the beach.eg...minelab sovereign, whites dfx or beach hunter id,an fisher has some also, but all of these are over your price range unless you get a nice used one And you will want to hunt the wet sand.

Hi Spec, I would be concerned about the cold temps being hard on your detector. What is the altitude you generally fly at and can you say what the temp. is? Ok be safe Spec.

John T.

Thanks Sea and Ice. I will look at those and see but I think I will have to stick with my range for now. The more I look around the more I see that I want. Of course more always comes with a price.

WT John, I am usually in the mid 20's in altitude with the temps being aound -15 to -20C. A couple weeks ago at 28,000 it was -40C which is also -40F. Pretty cold for that low altitude. All the guns in the wing locker were frozen.

Someone mentioned leaving a MD in the car trunk in summer would damage it and void warranty, I'm guessing the extreme cold would do the same.

Spec.

your best bet would be to get an analog machine as a machine with a digital readout may not fair so well in that extreme environment. the tesoro cibola is an excellent land machine and I hear it does well on salt beaches{but I wouldn't get in the water with it as the control housing is not water proof} also look into some of the "older" fishers such as the 1236...both machines will run you about $340 new. and they both break down very small and to cope with the harsh cold you can wrap them in a blanket or something to insulate them..but they break down small enough you may be able to store them in the cockpit with you. like I said..Id stay away from anything with a readout screen as they do not do well with with extreme cold and heat like that. good luck and let us know what you choose.

Does anyone have any experience or input on the Hybrid Cobra Beach/Land or Wader Metal Detectors? I want something all purpose with the ability to possibly get wet.... just in case!

Spec

I have never used one but havnt heard to many good things about them.
if you are willing to spend a bit more the tesoro tiger shark or detector pro wader would both be very good options...but then your looking to shell out another $100 for each machine..plus youll need a good scoop to retrieve your targets and a good one is not cheap either. when you start looking at water proof machines money can start adding up quick...but well worth in in my opinion.

I would be very concerned about the cold temps. When it starts to warm up it will get condensation inside the machine and that would eventually destroy the detector. If at all possible I would keep the machine inside the plane. Ice

I would be very concerned about the cold temps. When it starts to warm up it will get condensation inside the machine and that would eventually destroy the detector. If at all possible I would keep the machine inside the plane. Ice

Most of the time there would be room inside the planes aft cargo area which is inside the cabin. Only on the heavy passenger load trips would I have to consider the wing lockers in which case I may just have to leave it home.

Thanks for all the input.

Spec

metal detector in airplane

Be sure you take the battery out if you fly with the metal detector. The electromagnetic fields could screw something up big time.

Fisher 1236 X2

I am selling my like new Fisher 1236x2 and it is in beautiful shape and is highly respected for what you are looking at. Coil cover included and headphones, 230.00 plus 10.00 dollars shipping. It hasn't got a scratch on it and runs absolutely perfect. I just got it this Fall. [email protected]

Prizm

I have the Prizm II and live in Pensacola, Fl and the Prizm does not do well on the beaches here. I have noticed Kellyko has a Cobra beach machine on sale for $399 right now. Wish I could get one of those, but money is tight right now.

The Tesoro Cibola worked out fine for beach hunting for me. It's light, breaks down easily, and goes deep, and you need good depth on Florida beaches.

Put everything except the control housing in the wing locker. The control housing on these units is small enough to stash alongside you in the cockpit. Heck, the control housing for the detector pros are a set of headphones. High quality too. Just plug them in to your comm system and use them instead of your standard headphones...you might be surprized at just how comfortable they are. When you get to Florida, just pull your waterproof coil and shaft out of the wing, plug them into the headset and hit the beach. You can dunk as deep as your chest, just keep the headphone/control portion dry I believe. Just a thought. Tortoise PS>>>the control units on most detectors can be detached from the shaft/coil assembly quite easily and kept in the cockpit. I have an X-Terra 70 and its housing just pops off if you have never installed their little set screw such as myself. My E-trac is a different matter. The control housing is a part of the whole upper shaft...wouldnt work for you. Xterra 70's go for about 500 used. I would check with whoever your buying from to see if the control assembly can be dismounted and carried seperately while flying. ALL KINDS OF OPTIONS...............

I recently piced up a Detector Pro Wader and while I have had only limited oppurtunity to use it lately with the weather here in the north/east I was very satisfied with its performance....I've been able to get the Wader out onto a freshwater beach (wet/dry sand) and was impressed with its depth...It picked up a broken piece of silver jewelry the size of a pencil eraser a good 10inches down in dry sand.... I took the Wader out one time dry land detecting just to see how it would perform,it was adequate in the field but would have rather had the MXT or Tejon....

I have the Prizm II and live in Pensacola, Fl and the Prizm does not do well on the beaches here. I have noticed Kellyko has a Cobra beach machine on sale for $399 right now. Wish I could get one of those, but money is tight right now.

I called to order the Cobra Beach Magnet and just before giving my CC info I wanted to discuss the warranty again. Found out that after 14 days of receipt of the unit, if anything went wrong it would cost $95 to get it replaced. This is good and bad for me. Bad because I think one should have more time to be able to learn and use the MD before shelling out more cash if something breaks so soon, Good because its for 5 years. If it holds up for 6 months to a year, that seems like a good deal for a warranty.

I decided against it for now since this will be my first experience/purchase. Decided to go with a Prism V that I purchased from a local dealer. Bought the MD, headphones, and carry bag for $515 total. Probably not the absolute best deal available but still below retail, plus I was able to shop local. I may get the Cobra or something waterproof later if the turns out to enjoyable for me and I want to do more.

As soon as I got it home the wife wrapped it up until Christmas so I have to wait a few more days to start using it.

Hope everyone has a MERRY CHRISTMAS!!

SPEC.

$95???????????

I did not know about this part of the deal. Thanks for finding that out. I may have to buy local as well.

Back
Top Bottom