$400 budget help please

rover

I have sold what I needed to sell to get what I really want to get. Now the decision making needs to be done.

At first I was set with the Ace 250, but I have had time to research a bit more and I think the Silver uMAX is more my style. The only problem I have with this machine is that I am at the beach all the time and I think most of my hunting will be done at the beach.
Is the difference between the two on the beach big enough to go with the Ace 250 with all the buttons and the weird beeps? Can you not also turn the sensitivity down with the Silver and still hunt wet sand?

Even though most of my hunting will probably be done at the beach, I think, no I know, I am going to enjoy coin and relic hunting the most. I have already talked to a guy that digs septic tanks that told me he would show me where he found two gold doubloons:shock: Man I can't wait. I also know of a couple old plantations tucked away in the middle if the woods where the old rice fields are.:yes:

All in all I plan on buying:
MD $200-$250
digging tool $32
probe $70

That leaves $50-$100 to save or spend.
Am I on the right track? Should I leave out some of the equipment to get a better MD or should I go with a different set of choices all together?

PLEASE HELP,
I'm going crazy

Ace250

New to metal detecting?
I would op for the Ace250, then, I'm spoiled.
When I was looking for a metal detector, all I could find available on the shelf was the Ace150, but I've been pleasantly surprised at how much I have found, how deep it can detect, and how small of an item I can detect. And this has been without a pin pointer! :D

I'm seriously considering upgrading to an Ace250 in the very near future. And you might need the extra $50 or so for a good pinpointer. Some that I have priced has been closer to the $100 mark.

http://metaldetectingforum.com/album.php?albumid=25

you might also take a look at my 'supplies & equipment' album.

Dusty Eagle

Hi rover, as you said (At first I was set with the Ace 250, but I have had time to research a bit more and I think the Silver uMAX is more my style).

I agree with you 100% - In my opinion the Silver is much better than the Ace. Yes you can turn the sens. down to where ever you want it. I can't tell you how good the Silver or any other detector is at the beach because I never do any beach hunting. If you want a display type detector (which the Silver doesn't have) I would suggest the Fisher F2 over the Ace. Steve.

Hi Rover, I will add my 2 cents and I would opt for the Silver uMax. Yes it does have a sensitivity control which will help if you encounter any falsing on the beach. Also has the lifetime warranty and Tesoro definitely stands by it. Ok Rover just my opinion and be sure to get plenty of feedback about the recommendations made to you. Contact me if I can help further.

i have personaly hunted both myrtle beach and hilton head with the ace 250 and although i did manage a gold ring in hilton (dry sand) i would not op for the ace you should get a tiger shark good on both land and sea check ebay for a used one. oh and as for the probe dont bother will do you no good at the beach -jay

Ace 250. If your digging at the beach and are not using a scoop just get a small shovel. But do get a pin-pointer. Silver turns black in salt water and is hard to find. I cant use a scoop in washington because its a mix of sand and rock so the only thing sifted out would be the sand.

Dusty Eagle,

Yes, I have borrowed a friends BH Tracker IV, and I'm hooked. I'm having lots of luck at tot lots and a little at the beach. The Ace sounds like a great machine but for me, when I'm learning something new, the simpler the better. The biggest thing for me right now is wet sand in the right price range.

Steve,

The life time warranty is huge. I would love to pass this machine on to my son when he is old enough. He loves to follow me around and see what I'm going to dig up. I don't really want a display right now , but I think it would be fun to see what it's suggesting.

WT John,
Have you used the Silver in wet sand?

bottlecaps,

Next time you make it down this way let me know. I didn't think a probe would be much help on the beach with all the loose sand falling around. I hope to to a good amount of dirt digging though.

Thanks everyone for all your help
Christian

Ace 250. If your digging at the beach and are not using a scoop just get a small shovel. But do get a pin-pointer. Silver turns black in salt water and is hard to find. I cant use a scoop in washington because its a mix of sand and rock so the only thing sifted out would be the sand.

I have a brother-in-law who lives in Seattle, and have visited him a few times. When we go we always make it down to the beach to go clamming. I remember the sand being on the dark side and I would imagine it would be hard to see a black silver coin (by the way, I saw the one you recently found, nice find:cool: ). Here in South Carolina the sand is on the light side and I think it would help in finding something dark. I'm still going to try a pinpointer to see how it works in all the sand.

I would forgtet the pinpointer for now. I have detected for years without one and have done very well. I have only scratched a few coins. BUT everyone here has an opinion and you need to go with what you feel will be right for you and your needs.

I would forgtet the pinpointer for now. I have detected for years without one and have done very well. I have only scratched a few coins. BUT everyone here has an opinion and you need to go with what you feel will be right for you and your needs.

Thanks,
That would free up some $$ for a better detector. I have been doing well without one so far, but I wonder how much better of a detector $70 will buy. On the high end, that would give me about $360 to spend on the MD

Thanks,
That would free up some $$ for a better detector. I have been doing well without one so far, but I wonder how much better of a detector $70 will buy. On the high end, that would give me about $360 to spend on the MD
For $340.00 you can get a new Tesoro Cibola but not sure if it is really worth $100.00 more than the Silver uMax. Yes the Silver uMax is that good. Steve.

If your at the Beach most of the time, consider DetectorPro for the price.
Instead of a shovel or PPer get a RTG Beach Scoop.
I'd gear up for that style hunting which is different.
Look for a used Beach/Water detector also.

For $340.00 you can get a new Tesoro Cibola but not sure if it is really worth $100.00 more than the Silver uMax. Yes the Silver uMax is that good. Steve.

i agree the silver is a great machine but the cibola is twice the machine the silver is..throw the 5.75 concentric on the cibola and youll have the best coin machine ever made for the price...of course this is my opinion but having used both machines my vote goes to the cibola...it cant be beat for the price.

Hi Rover, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but to answer your question unfortunately I haven't used the Silver on a beach especially wet salt sand. I'm sure it would false on you in that condition. Hopefully you could turn down the sens and eliminate some of it. Ok Happy hunting and be safe Rover. But it is a great detector, in fact I just sold one a few hours ago.

John T.

Back
Top Bottom