$49 detector made by Bounty Hunter

fishlicker

....after a thread( on here or another MD forum - I can't remember) about Big Lots having a $49 detector made by Bounty Hunter...and with my first real detector purchase having to wait probably until Christmas...I decided to "blow" the $49 and at least have something to use. Maybe I'd blow $49, but I would probably know after playing with it for 6 mos. or so if I wanted to spend $200-$300 on something better. Well, I'm pretty sure of two things...one, that I don't know what the heck I'm really doing out there....and two, that with a better detector I'm pretty sure I'd find stuff I'm missing.
Also, the thing doesn't have a headphone jack and it beeps so loud it's like it's just beggin' for attention from passers-by and kids( although no one bothered me at all, thankfully - I'm still a bit shy about digging holed in the ground, even though you and I know I'll fill them up) And then, I wasn't even sure if this cheaper-than-cheap MD was even going to work. . .
But, my fears of it not working at all were laid to rest 10 minutes into my first hunt. I went to a tot lot but it was full of....well,...tots. :) So I headed over to a couple of benches near a walking trail. After pulling out a pop top, the next beep was a solid( but high pitched) beep. I moved the pine straw out of the way with my foot and shot again at the dirt. Beep! I took out my little garden trowel and dug in about 2 inches( soft dirt, it rained day before yesterday). popped out the little plug of dirt and THERE IT WAS!

( drum roll for the goofball noob, please.....brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrbrb )

A DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME! :) I was giddy. More so than I thought a grown man should be! :) My wife looked at me like I was nuts. :) I was grinning ear to ear and holding it up to the sky and half-shouting-half-whispering " Aaaaaaa DDDDDiiimmmeeeeee!"

Ok, so I found another dime, and some pennies, alot of junk, some trash, ketchup packets, the back of a pin, a "Hello Kitty" earring, a big hunk of metal, and a musket ball.

Ok, it was just a broken off bolt with a nut on it, but when I pulled it out of the ground it sure looked round and heavy. :) LOL

Anyway, I think I've made a mistake and I feel myself being pulled into this thing now head first.......and I'm kickin' and screamin' , only minus the kickin' and the screamin' sounds like " AAAaaa DIIIIIMMMMMMMMEEEE! "

Thanks for everyone's help. I'm sure this Christmas I'll be in for 3-5 hundered on a better unit. ANd then, I shall find diamonds, gold and pirate treasure! :)

PS - pyrite is annoying. :)

Here are some pics... ok, well, my pics are too big. lemme resize! bbl. :)

pics

Ok, pic try again....Now, the last two pics are some old coins my Dad had and handed down to me when I was a teenager. The last Mercs are 1909's, BUT they are in such a condition that you cannot see the mint mark on the bottom or the initials or whatever it is i'm looking for to see if they are common or the really expensive ones...so i guess since the area to look for the mint mark or whatever is rubbed off it makes them worth a dime. :) LOL oh well.

I have some silver dollars and such too. I got a book this weekend on coin values and some of the dollars might be worth $12-$15 I think. Nothing is in top condition though. :(

Anyway, thanks again for all the good info I've been getting here. I think I'm going to go out now and hit a couple of schools tonight!
I already see a pattern developing with swingsets and benches!

PS - Please do not be too jealous about my earring. Yes, it is a Hello Kitty, and no, it is not for sale. Sorry.

Bwahahahahaha!

Attachments

• webdetector.jpg
    webdetector.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 1,440
  • First Finds web.jpg
    First Finds web.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 1,411
  • mercweb.jpg
    mercweb.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,392
  • 1909mercs.jpg
    1909mercs.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,339
fish - You are the prefect person for big time detecting. If you get that excited about the small things then you will go crazy over the big things. Glad to see you with so much enthusiasm, don't ever let it go. I'm in my 27th year detecting ands still love to dig everything, Steve in so az

good to hear i went out yesterday at the beach for the first time it was pretty cool just found some rusty nails broken glass no coins or earrings glad to see you had better luck then i did good for you keep it going bro dont lose that desire

happy hunting good luck to all

metal detecting "CAN YOU DIGGGG IT"

Thanks guys. About the only places I can easily see right now( without asking permission, etc) are schools, and luckily we have plenty of them, and you can get to them all - all the parks and schools in town are open to MD as far as I can tell by checking the regulations for the parks and such. I'm not really having to dig much...most of this stuff is in the wood chips. OH, and the mats! I ran into the mats at a school tonight - and I don't think my detector was shooting through....but no biggy. Like you were saying, I'm just happy to get somethin'. Keep at it carp, and if you can get to a park, benches are good....but for me today, anywhere a kid could hang upside down was it. Tonight, I got 4 more dimes, 9 pennies, a video game store token, and three quarters! I'm making my wife deduct the money I'm finding off the price of the detector. By 2023 I should have it paid for. :) LOL

I don't think I've been this excited aobut something new since I took up fly fishing nearly 20 years ago. There's just so much to learn and it's so cool to think you can shoot the common areas for some loose change, and you might find something better, etc. etc. etc. But I really LOVE history too, and eventually I'm sure I'll find some land somewhere where someone will let me relic hunt. But I'm gonna need a bigger fishin' pole for that! This 7 inch coil ain't gonna do it. It's like shooting with a pinpointer, I'm guessing! :)

I'll bother you guys more later. ;) LOL

'licker

Good job Fishlicker!
Your post is too cute....!
I'm sure you'll find some bigger and better things as time goes by. What model are you looking at getting after your current one?

I can't wait to get my unit, I'm itching to go out. Yesterday at a park in town beside my friends place I burried two pennies by a swingset....I'll see if I pick them up when the MD arrives!

Happy hunting:D

You sound as if you have the makings of a true detecting nut. Congratulations! I have yet to find anything as good as a Hello Kitty earring-I'm jealous. :)

The great thing about getting the cheaper version, is that it doesn't take long for it to pay for itself! Heck, looks like you may have already done that. Way to go!!!:yes:

Thanks everyone! Spunnie, I don't know which model is next, but it'll have to be in the low $300 range at best. I've got too many hobbies to spend much more right now.

I think it's going to "pay" for itself in a few trips, just in FUN factor alone! It's raining here now, and I'm hoping it rains tomorrow and I can go do some hunting on the way home!

Maybe i'll find the other hello kitty earring. ;) LOL

PS _ remember, the nice coins I already had. :) I didn't find those, but maybe in the future with a better unit I can. I just wanted something cool to show off at show-n-tell. ;) hee hee

Congrats on the purchase, if you have the money to spend, it's definitely nice to have something. I hope you continue to have wonderful adventures!

As an update for anyone thinking about trying this for getting into the game....I broke it tonight. :) I was just swinging it like normal....not hard or anything, and because I knew it was cheap anyway, I babied it. Well, the arm cup thing just broke right off! :) hahaha. Oh well. I'll take it back and get my money back, and then have to decide between a Garrett 150 thingy or a WHite's Prizm thingy. :) ANd then, I'll be back to treasure huntin' again! :)

Sorry to hear that. At least Bounty Hunter has a 5 year warranty anyways. I haven't ever had to use my warranty I don't think. Normally things don't break till the warranty goes up.:lol: At least you had fun with it for a while anyways.

Get your money back! Save and get a ace 250 for around $200. Good luck oh and i am glad I read your post I thought you were going to claim finding all that silver already! :) There is someone on another forum claiming silver finds all the time...we don't need another one! Good luck with your next purchase!

HAHAHA. No, that's not me! :)

I thought about saying I found a few of them as a joke, but being new around here - I wasn't sure how you guys would take that! :)

These old coins were my Dad's. My mom says that anytime he would get an interesting/old coin he could put it away. He didn't know anything about coins and I don't know much more than what I've read online. But I am thinking of selling them( after I learn enough so that I don't get snookered) to get my first real detector. Sure, I'm afraid of getting taken, but I'm pretty cautious and I'm not planning on selling them to the first buyer that offers some money for them. :) I'm researching coins almost every day, even if only for a half hour or so.
Oh, and while I was talking to my mom about the coins she told me about a box of old baseball cards that she threw out when dad died.

uuuuugh! Another 10 years and the card market should come back around I guess....and I would have loved to have a bunch of old cards. Oh well....she didn't know.

I think most everyone is cautious when you are a new guy.;)
It was probably because you had about the cheapest version that Bounty Hunter makes. I have a Land Star that I use all the time and I think it is a really good machine. I love it. Its all opinion though. I also have the cheaper version that I started out on but I haven't used it lately. It has held up very good. You may have just had a faulty one also. It was like $100 when I bought it i think. My Land Star was quite a bit more than that.:D
I used to collect coins alot when I was younger.(Even though I am 17 now.lol) I got pretty serious about it to. I got a ton of coins. Still nice to just look through my binders and look at em all. I would get a Red Book for coins if I were you. Help tell you what they are worth. I think mine is 2005 but it still works. I know prices have changed since then though.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom