$200-$300 detector? not Ace250

Go Silver!!

First, I am a major Tesoro fan, to the point where I use my old Silver Sabre II WAY more than I use my metered Fisher Coinstrike and there's a reason: Tesoros are ridiculously simple to use, and they WORK!

For your budget, go with the Silver uMax, which is roughly around $250. The Silver line is often considered the best Tesoro's ever made, especially for newbies. They're hot on silver coins and do really really well on smaller gold in the shallows on freshwater beaches, but most of all, their discrimination circuitry is really good and in highly non-mineralized dirt, they'll get you down to 8" -- even deeper if it's a larger target.

For a little over $300 you could go with a Tesoro Cibola, but the only feature that offers over the Silver is a frequency shifter, which is an advantage primarily to competition hunters, and they hunt in very close proximity to other hunters and get interference from those peoples' units. So if you're not doing a lot of seeded club hunts, save the $100 and go with the Silver.

The only drawback (if it is one) to your detector is the Silver doesn't have a meter readout. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. In my own experience with my Fisher, the meter is actually a distraction and demands too much attention. With my Silver Sabre, I only need to depend on my ears and my brain, and I actually end up hunting better *and* faster.

I've been detecting around 15 years, and that Tesoro of mine is STILL my #1 go-to detector every time. I still bring my Fisher along for specialized stuff (like peoples' yards, where I need to be really careful about how deep and what I dig), but my Silver's a total gem.

For your budget, go with the Silver uMax, which is roughly around $250. The Silver line is often considered the best Tesoro's ever made, especially for newbies. They're hot on silver coins and do really really well on smaller gold in the shallows on freshwater beaches, but most of all, their discrimination circuitry is really good and in highly non-mineralized dirt, they'll get you down to 8" -- even deeper if it's a larger target.

How is the silver for prospecting Gold in river/stream beds?

EDIT: I meant gold :(

Another vote for the Silver uMax

Tesoro Silver uMax. Gets my vote, big time. Have had mine for about 15-16 months now.... love the machine. It rocks! Not even close to being bored with it... it does one thing and one thing only, really well. It finds things. Its simple to use, and works fantastic and although a single tone machine, it does indeed start to "talk" to you after you have used it for a while. I had toyed with the idea of getting a different more pricey machine, and didn't due to what folks were telling me etc etc... and now, at this time, have no desire, I am totally satisfied with the Silver uMax. Have found enough gold and silver with it to remain satisfied. A few of my buddies have pricier machines that I have tried and although nice, with TID etc etc... I'll stick with the Silver, lol. Although I am sure their machines are potent once you gain the experience.

Really enjoy the machine. That, a Lesche, and my pro-pointer = good to go. :lol:

I'm sure they are all good choices, lots of good experience from folks here... but really like the Silver. ;)

Good luck, let us know what you decided.

Even though I am recommending the Xterras I had a Silver uMax before I had an Xterra, while I had an Xterra and still have it after the Xterra...

Prospecting silver? Wow, this is actually the fist time I've seen anyone on a forum doing that in the the 15 years I've been detecting. Usually it's people prospecting gold. I didn't even know you could find silver flakes in streams, but then again, I live in Chicago. Still, this is a really good question.

On one hand, my own long experience with the Tesoro Silver has been in relation to *alloyed* silver that goes with coins and jewelry, but still the silver content in those things is still over 90% silver, so I would *imagine* (and again, me imagining things isn't anything authorative by any means) pure silver would score higher using a Tesoro than silver-alloyed items, and really, the chunks of silver you find are going to be encrusted in other minerals which might also affect your detector's response/capabilities to some degree. Still, I would imagine a Tesoro Silver uMax would be a very good tool and a very good buy at around $250. Personally, if I was in your position, I'd have no doubts whatsoever about using mine for prospecting silver in little streams (and my Tesoro Silver II is 15 years old) unless I ran into ground conditions that tell me I shouldn't be using it. And those conditions DO exist, but I'll get into that in a little bit).

On the other hand -- as with any detector that's not made specifically for diving or underwater use -- it all depends on how deep your body of water or stream is. Detectors like the Silver will work in the water as long as you don't dunk the electronics box (aka the "brain box") or get it wet enough for the water to seep into the seams of the housing and affect the electronics within the box itself.

On the very last hand -- and this is probably THE most important one: How much mineralization is in the soil itself in the place(s) you want to hunt? In GENERAL terms, if the dirt is colored anything beyond sand or has any coloration beyond black topsoil or the gray(er) clays, you're best off with a Tesoro that has manual ground balancing capabilities, which the Silver does not have. Even in those soils, there are some times where you can get away with a non-GB machine like a Silver by dialing down the sensitivity, but in places like stream beds -- where things tend to get covered over by generations of moving soil and runoff making them even deeper to detect -- this would not be in your favor, especially if you're trying to find a little nugget of silver a foot or more deep.

If that's the case, I would seriously suggest you spend the extra dollars for a Tesoro with manual ground balancing (which is phenomenally easy, just one simple step) because that's pretty much your starting point for ANY detector, no matter what brand -- and you'll be able to use it anywhere you go facing any soil conditions for the rest of your life and be able to go as deep as other detectors costing $300 more -- and you'll be totally happy that you spent the extra money now instead of later because if you run into those kinda nasty-ground conditions, you'll be spending at least $500 more ON TOP of what you'd spend now for a Tesoro Silver to upgrade. In that case, I'd suggest a Tesoro DeLeon for about $500, which has a simple meter built into it along with the ability manually ground balance whatever dirt you'll ever run into.

Prospecting silver? Wow, this is actually the fist time I've seen anyone on a forum doing that in the the 15 years I've been detecting. Usually it's people prospecting gold. I didn't even know you could find silver flakes in streams, but then again, I live in Chicago. Still, this is a really good question.

Sorry! I meant gold!

Because the newbie friend is my older sister, and I will be able to use it about as much as I want. She is also able to use mine(besides the etrac) as much as she wants... She just wants one that is actually hers.

Ha ha, i was thinking it was secretly for you!! :lol:

Also, go with a fisher!

Sorry! I meant gold!

Ahh, OK -- that's a TOTALLY different animal here, then. And I mean a totally different animal here when it comes to choosing a detector for gold nuggets.

Regardless of the brand, what you want to choose is a detector that operates at the **HIGHEST** kHz (kilohertz) rating possible. Look up the specs for whatever detector brand you want and find the detectors operating closest to the 17kHz range. The highest kHz rating is what you're looking for, because that's what -- theoretically anyway -- is what makes them sensitive to tiny gold. Problem is, those detectors will run you between $600-$800 new.

If that's OK with you, I'd recommend the Tesoro Lobo, or if you can find one, a Fisher Gold Bug 2. Next to Tesoro, Fisher knows its stuff, and even their bottom-end detectors are full of value and built to last forever. Oddly enough, the Lobo is only Tesoro still being sold new that has the same overall design as Tesoro's "II" line of detectors, which were the previous-generation to the current uMax line. Unlike the uMaxes, the brain boxes were slung *under* the pole, which made them awesomely well-balanced and made hunting for hours on end an effortless thing that didn't make your arm scream the next day. My Silver Sabre II is of that same exact design and I hunt 4-5 hours at a time with no problem.

If you dont have $700, now what? Look for a detector in the highest 10kHz range you can find. And really, there's not a lot to choose from there since pretty much *all* land coinshooting/relic hunting detectors operate in the 10kHz range. The major difference in this league I've seen is the Tesoro Tejon, which operates in the 17.5 kHz range -- which puts that detector apples-to-apples considerably above similar detectors in its price range -- but the main problem is that it'll still set you back around $650.

So there ya go. Any way you look at it, if you want a dedicated gold nugget hunter, you're going to be shelling out some significant bucks for one.

Go with the Tesoro Silver µmax. You won't regret it and will be amazed how well it finds coins and jewelry. Just an awesome detector for under 300.00.

If you are going to Tesoro route I would recommend buying used, you can usually shave a couple hundred bucks off the more expensive models and they have a lifetime warranty. Check out thetresuredepot.com

If you are going to Tesoro route I would recommend buying used, you can usually shave a couple hundred bucks off the more expensive models and they have a lifetime warranty. Check out thetresuredepot.com

Pretty sure the warranty will on cover the first owner

Really, the warranty's are not transferrable on Tesoro's? For some reason I though they were, or maybe I have just heard of Tesoro fixing them for free anyways.

Yes I think they do fix some for free. But the website makes it pretty clear.

Tesoro Silver uMax. Gets my vote, big time. Have had mine for about 15-16 months now.... love the machine. It rocks! Not even close to being bored with it... it does one thing and one thing only, really well. It finds things. Its simple to use, and works fantastic and although a single tone machine, it does indeed start to "talk" to you after you have used it for a while. I had toyed with the idea of getting a different more pricey machine, and didn't due to what folks were telling me etc etc... and now, at this time, have no desire, I am totally satisfied with the Silver uMax. Have found enough gold and silver with it to remain satisfied. A few of my buddies have pricier machines that I have tried and although nice, with TID etc etc... I'll stick with the Silver, lol. Although I am sure their machines are potent once you gain the experience.

Really enjoy the machine. That, a Lesche, and my pro-pointer = good to go. :lol:

I'm sure they are all good choices, lots of good experience from folks here... but really like the Silver. ;)

Good luck, let us know what you decided.

Dont' make the mistake I did and sell your Silver for a TID machine! I did and I am sorry... I miss my silver!! Also, My suggestion to the OP would be the Silver Umax!

Offically, the warranty is not valid after the original owner......however, Tesoro is famous for outstanding customer service and often fixes repairs at no charge for "used machines". It's a policy that's not carved in stone though.......

Dusty

Go with the Tesoro Silver µmax. You won't regret it and will be amazed how well it finds coins and jewelry. Just an awesome detector for under 300.00.

This was the choice I made after scratching my head for hours over which detector to get.
Call Rich at Colonial Detectors. Best price I found anywhere.
I do seem to recall a used one for sale in the classifieds on this forum, $200, IIRC.

Edit: http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=75147

Might want to jump on this quick!

Have you considered an Xterra? I had a 305 at the same time I had an Ace and loved the Minelab. Sorta regret selling it, but you can find used ones in great shape for $2-300. Has a lot of features at that price you won't find in other brands and it just works great. Lightweight, easy to learn, long battery life, big display, manual GB, coil frequency options (I preferred the 18.75 but most silver hunters like the LF), etc...

I agree with Diggler

Looking for a good detector for between $200-300, maybe a tiny bit more.. This is for a complete newbie. I've already got an ace250 and they dont like it, plus its mine. I've heard good things about Vaquero's and Tesoros.. any input?

If you get a Tesoro........you will be saying good things too.:)

Back
Top Bottom