What do you carry?

SoCalToolGuy

I live in Huntington Beach area of Orange County,
Hello all, being a newbie to this hobby I was wondering what you more experience MD'ers carry with you when hunting? I have been watching a lot of videos of others out hunting and I see things that make me wonder what they are and where they are purchased. One person had a machine that appeared to have a probe/pinpointer attached to the lower tube that he could remove and probe a hole very quickly. He also was using a small pick that had a chisel edge on one side and a spade type blade on the other. Also, what about bags/pouches? I would love to hear from as many of you as possible as to what you use in your hunts. So far, I have a metal detector and a Lowe's heavy duty garden trowel that has a knife edge. I have a good pair of mechanics type gloves but as of yet no knee pads. So if you all don't mind taking the time, I know I and other newbies would really appreciate the info on what to put together for a trip out to the field.

Thanks for all your help,

Ray

what to carry

One thing I've found very useful is a small (18"x18") piece of sheet plastic for putting dirt on when I'm in the park. Some people use a towel but the dirt sticks to the rough surface of the fabric whereas the plastic is smooth and the dirt slides back into the hole very easily and theres no excess dirt on the grass. Put the plug back and no one will ever know you were there. Works or me.

Hey there and Welcome to the forum, Well Every MDer is different. It all depends on where you are hunting. I myself hunt at the beaches so I really don't need a probe pin pointer or a trowel. I have my detector with a pinpointer on it, A couple different sand scoops, a pouch for my finds, a head lamp, gloves and a camelbak when I'm thirsty. I don't really dig. just scoop the sand and bingo I got it. It's easier than getting on your hands and knees to dig holes. Well Good Luck.

Instead of a towel or piece of plastic for putting the dirt/plug on, I use a frisbee with part of the edge cut out (to dump the dirt back in the hole) and a hole drilled at the other end for a belt hook. A camelback for liquid refreshment is good to have along. A Predator trowel or shovel. Knee pads, gloves, junk container and treasure pouch. A pinpointer of some type really helps, either an in-line or handheld. Of course, dress for the weather. RickO

Hay Ray,

I use napkins to put dirt on. I also blow my
nose with them.

I can wad the dirt with tha napkin and stuff
it back in tha hole.

You can carry 20 pounds of stuff if you want.
It will not find you any more stuff.

I carry a metal detector and a hand held pin
pointer,

10-1-2-2.jpg

When I use a hand digger, I use my own
design,

2-5-6-1.jpg

If I carry a light shovel, I use this cheep
modified Wallie-World special,

1-3-3-1.jpg

It just hange on a belt loop.

I do not ware a belt(suspenders)

If I need a bigger shovel, I use a store
bought sharp shooters shovel.

I will carry a pouch if I absolutely have
to, but I hate it.

Happy Huntin,

Tabdog

so cal, I do everything tabdog says except the napkin thing. I stole the towel off my golf bag for dirt salvage and alter most of my tools to fit my hunting area. Hey I bought a metal detector and have not played golf since. Matter of fact my friends are calling me and asking why I don't post on facebook any more.I just reply, "Whats facebook" Thanks to Carol K and Vlad. Who needs it? Happy Hunting my friend and make sure to honor the creed. Sonny b, Texas.

Try to think of what you might need to dig a coin. How are you going to dig it. Do you need anything to place the dirt on so it can be returned to the hole. How are you going to carry everything. When you get back from your hunt, what did you need that you didn't have with you? Add that to your things to take. What did you have that you didn't use? Remove those items. There are many things that you already have around the house that you can use without buying something. Don't weigh yourself down. If you are going to be hunting close to your car, leave extra batteries there. If you use some sort of a belt, arrange them so that they are handy, but not in the way of swinging your detector. After a couple of trips, you will have an idea of what you will need. Happy Hunting.

Well, thanks everybody for you help. I think I now have a good idea of what I need and what would just be in the way. I am putting together a ditty bag of stuff that might be nice to have around. At the top of the list is a good first aid kit, some baggies, towels, water and some breakfast bars. I am looking for some kind of belt similar to a GI belt that I can carry a pouch, hang a digging tool/pick and a pinpointer. I like the idea of a frisbee with the front lip cut off. That sounds like a good way to control the dirt and grass.
Thanks again,

Ray

I like to wear a lightweight mesh fishing vest where I can keep my camera, cell phone, and plastic pill bottles for finds.

I use a tool belt with pouch to carry my Gator Razor Edge digger, as well as a brass probe and a pinpointer. Also carry a couple small trash bags to use for putting soil on when I dig.

If I'm prospecting, I attach a lightweight gold pan to the back of the vest and carry a small pick in a hammer loop on the belt.

Have not done any beach hunting yet, but suspect I can do away with the tool belt and carry a beach scoop.

Attachments

• 3702229201246464_7.jpg
    3702229201246464_7.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 558
  • razorgatordigger_onsheath1.gif
    razorgatordigger_onsheath1.gif
    1.7 KB · Views: 590
Back
Top Bottom