Coyotes in my yard at night ? EDIT TO ADD: first photos likely a fox, latest photo (added 7-21) MIGHT be a coyote

a coyote is no threat to a human,Ive hunted them all my life.Now to a cat or small dog...that's another story.I trapped a 30 pounder this past season,they are deafeningly loud when you are 5 ft away.lol

Nobody has ever hunted all their life, I highly doubt you hunted at one day old.

Tell people that were attacked by coyotes that it did not really happen, and see if they believe you.

I have talked to people that coyotes went after.

No ,I said no threat.I know quite allot about these critters.Maybe an occasional crazy 'yote has gone after someone sometime but overall they are no threat.I know of people who have been killed by wounded deer, that does not make deer blood thirsty killers.lol

I don't think you have raised chickens,ducks,guinnes and rabbits.lol Ive had them ruin my whole meat rabbit operation in one night,not to mention 10 chickens,oh ya and my pet dog. I kill only to eat,except in the case of predators.If you ever see them ripping a fawn apart you might change your mind.Now fox,I don't consider them a predator because the really only eat rats and mice and stuff.Dont get me wrong ,I am not a kill anything that moves guy,but I have seen way to much of the work of coyotes.

I think you make a lot of assumptions about someone you don't know based off a short thread post. I have indeed raised lots of small animals and had a few killed. My fault. Coyotes eating a fawn has zero affect on the state of my mind. It's natural and necessary. Killing a predator just because they're a predator is a pretty warped system, especially considering our place on the food chain...

Pretty simple concept. If a human being, with their giant brain and opposable thumbs lives in an area occupied with predators and can't construct a coop/cage sufficient to protect their livestock, they probably deserve to have their livestock eaten.

"Be scared of everything!" and over-react to everything is a bad policy. Ask the people in charge of re-introducing predators to areas to even out the level of prey animals.

Last edited:
Why?

What difference would it make if you had one ans opposed to the other?

Good question Bill !

I'm not even going to pretend to be a wildlife expert, I'm not, that is why I started this thread to get input from the very knowledgeable folks on this forum, but to answer your question, I simply figured that a fox would be much less of a potential possible threat to pets than a coyote would.

I think you make a lot of assumptions about someone you don't know based off a short thread post. I have indeed raised lots of small animals and had a few killed. My fault. Coyotes eating a fawn has zero affect on the state of my mind. It's natural and necessary. Killing a predator just because they're a predator is a pretty warped system, especially considering our place on the food chain...

Pretty simple concept. If a human being, with their giant brain and opposable thumbs lives in an area occupied with predators and can't construct a coop/cage sufficient to protect their livestock, they probably deserve to have their livestock eaten.

"Be scared of everything!" and over-react to everything is a bad policy. Ask the people in charge of re-introducing predators to areas to even out the level of prey animals
.Sorry, but anything that kills little chickens and rabbits just for fun needs to be eliminated.Take out the predator and you wont have to build a bullet proof coop . Do you kill mice with mouse traps? That's because they are pests,same for me with the coyote.Plus having your dog killed by em should change anyones perspective.I am not scared of them,but my rabbits sure are..I agree,if I could not protect my animals, I would deserve to have them eaten, so I protect them using my methods.I don't go around shooting everything I see, but when I see something harming my pets and rabbits and chickens,I have no choice but to harm it.

Good question Bill !

I'm not even going to pretend to be a wildlife expert, I'm not, that is why I started this thread to get input from the very knowledgeable folks on this forum, but to answer your question, I simply figured that a fox would be much less of a potential possible threat to pets than a coyote would.

You are right,a fox will occasionally kill a chicken but never a pet,as long as you don't have a pet mole.lol

a coyote is no threat to a human...

Generally speaking, I agree with this. However, it's not unheard of and there are several things (including rabies, etc.) which can make any animal a danger. It might be a one in a million chance but I'm not willing to bet any of my loved ones safety on that chance. And I'm certain those who keep rabbits, chickens, etc. are not willing to risk their investment either.

Same principal, just use a bigger basket

iu

I really need to try this with the racoons in my trash.

I live in South San Francisco California . Just a few years ago Coyotes were unheard of in this city . Now they have really taken hold .Here is a picture of one my Son took on our street at about 11:00 am a few months ago , fearlessly walking down our street . It was bad enough with the Racoons with attitudes we have around here , now this . Lot's of people's pets are turning up missing . We've got a few people around here who leave out food for feral cats making things even worse. I'm thinking the Mountain lions will be here next .

Attachments

• IMG_0886 (1) (120x97).jpg
    IMG_0886 (1) (120x97).jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0886.jpg
    IMG_0886.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
I live in South San Francisco California . Just a few years ago Coyotes were unheard of in this city . Now they have really taken hold .Here is a picture of one my Son took on our street at about 11:00 am a few months ago , fearlessly walking down our street . It was bad enough with the Racoons with attitudes we have around here , now this . Lot's of people's pets are turning up missing . We've got a few people around here who leave out food for feral cats making things even worse. I'm thinking the Mountain lions will be here next .

WOW !!!! :shock: at 11:00AM and out in the open on the street ?

Now that is bold, at least here I have only heard their "yipping" at night coming from somewhere back in the woods which border our property out back.

Some might think they don't bother pets, maybe normally they might not (I don't know as I'm not any expert) but if they are hungry enough it would be easy to believe they would attack pets, so hopefully people there have learned not to let their pets out at night loose and unattended by their owners.

I need to check my trail camera again, it has been long enough the memory card should be filled up again by now, I'll post pics if anything like coyote or fox show up, usually it's mostly deer or all deer.

No ,I said no threat.I know quite allot about these critters.Maybe an occasional crazy 'yote has gone after someone sometime but overall they are no threat.I know of people who have been killed by wounded deer, that does not make deer blood thirsty killers.lol

Come to my neck of the woods. They are most certainly a threat. Have bred with red wolves and are much bigger and have actually been classified as a new breed called coy wolf. They are very orange in color and can weigh in at about 75 lbs for a large male. They hunt in packs and are very much more brazen than normal coyotes. I have been confronted by them in a menacing manner on a few occasions.

Come to my neck of the woods. They are most certainly a threat. Have bred with red wolves and are much bigger and have actually been classified as a new breed called coy wolf. They are very orange in color and can weigh in at about 75 lbs for a large male. They hunt in packs and are very much more brazen than normal coyotes. I have been confronted by them in a menacing manner on a few occasions.

Wow, I just learned something new, thanks !!!!

Just did a search using the words: coy wolf for even more info and there are many search results, here is just one of them -

http://www.easterncoyoteresearch.com/livingwithcoyotes/

……..part of from the above link:

How to avoid interactions from occurring:

1. Do not let dogs (especially small breeds) outdoors loose without constant supervision. Fences should be at least 5 feet tall and there should not be any places where coyotes can crawl underneath. While a fence does not guarantee total protection, it is a good deterrent to coyotes or humans who would snatch or harm pets left outside alone.

2. Dogs taken outdoors by their owners should always be leashed unless in a fenced yard, where they should still be supervised and checked regularly.

3. Dogs should not be tied outdoors unfenced and unsupervised in coyote-prevalent areas. Accidents have happened.

4. Cats should be kept indoors unless trained to remain at home.

5. Dogs and cats should not be left outside for any period of time unsupervised, especially at night, even in a fenced enclosure.

6. Invisible fences do not protect your pets from predators. While they may keep your pet in your yard, they don’t keep predators or other animals out of your yard.

Do’s and Don’ts in Coyote Country:

1. DO chase them away and make noise (bang pots and pans) if you don’t want them in your yard. Of course, if you don’t mind them then watch them from a window quietly as to not scare them away.

2. DO make noise when you are outside especially if coyotes are often in your area (like a den site nearby). They will often change their course of direction when they hear people. Bring a whistle or horn to scare them away from you.

3. DO NOT feed coyotes or other animals. Even if you are feeding birds (e.g., suet) or other animals (like raccoons) coyotes will be attracted to your yard just like any other animal looking for an easy handout.

4. DO NOT feed your pets outside for the same reason as #3.

5. Just as importantly, DO NOT let your neighbors feed wildlife. Coyotes travel tremendous distances and a coyote regularly coming to your neighbor’s yard for a free handout will surely pass through your yard to get there. A habituated coyotes is a potential problem coyote.

6. Absolutely DO NOT let your cat outside if you are truly concerned with its health. Coyotes are just one of many mortality factors for outdoor cats.

7. DO leash your dogs. Although coyotes may follow a leashed dog out of curiosity (to the concern of the person), it is extremely rare for them to actually get within contact of your pet.

8. DO enjoy their presence and the fact that having this wily predator adds to the mystique of your (potentially even urban) neighborhood. Try to minimize your conflicts with these creatures by following these simple precautions.

Quickest way for a critter to get shot at my house is to be a nighttime critter out in the daytime. Sometimes it's because somebody disturbed their sleeping spot, or it could be rabid. If they do anything weird other than being out in the daytime I'll shoot them. The last 2 skunks I shot were out in the daytime and staggering, they could have been poisoned or sick with something other than rabies, but I'm not taking chances. Had a squirrel that would eat out of the bird feeder, fall down and just lay there for 5 minutes, get up and do it again. I called DNR and they said don't worry squirrels seldom get rabies. I was worried a kid would try picking him up and rabies or not a squirrel can be a handfull if he wakes up in a kids hands.

Checked the memory card and only had about 1/3 of the usual number of video clips and they were all daytime of branches moving on some smaller trees on an extra windy day we had. There were some weird files on the card with invalid characters that took up room on the memory card, it wouldn't let me delete those files because of the invalid characters so I had to reformat it to clean them off. I wonder if the batteries getting weak could cause that ?

Checked the memory card and only had about 1/3 of the usual number of video clips and they were all daytime of branches moving on some smaller trees on an extra windy day we had. There were some weird files on the card with invalid characters that took up room on the memory card, it wouldn't let me delete those files because of the invalid characters so I had to reformat it to clean them off. I wonder if the batteries getting weak could cause that ?

Okay, I put fresh batteries in it and tested it and it seems to work okay again.

It still had the first set of batteries I put in it when I first bought it in December of last year, at least one review said batteries last a long time in it so they were right :lol:

Now to wait for the memory card to fill up, takes about 10 days on average, but I might check it sooner.

Well I wasnt talking about your half wolf half coyote, I was talking about regular coyotes.

But Im sure those half/half's would be a problem.

Well I wasnt talking about your half wolf half coyote, I was talking about regular coyotes.

yeah but the problem is they have spread throughout the majority of the upper half of the east coast. Most people still think they are just coyotes, and telling people coyotes are harmless is setting someone up for failure if they don't know any better.

Back
Top Bottom