Good Relic Pinpointer

patrick413

Hello!
I'm in the market for a good pinpointer for relics and old coins, mostly.
l really liked what I saw from the White's TRX, especially that it only pinpoints from the tip, but alas, those don't seem to be available anywhere since the company closed down (though I'm still holding out hopes for Craigslist or something).

So in the meantime - does anybody have recommendations of a good pinpointer that'd be about equivalent?

Thanks so much!

Patrick

Garrett Carrot is the go to. I love mine, and I relic hunt 99.9% of my hunts. Just be sure to order from a vendor, Amazon is full of fakes.

Hello!
I'm in the market for a good pinpointer for relics and old coins, mostly.
l really liked what I saw from the White's TRX, especially that it only pinpoints from the tip, but alas, those don't seem to be available anywhere since the company closed down (though I'm still holding out hopes for Craigslist or something).

So in the meantime - does anybody have recommendations of a good pinpointer that'd be about equivalent?

Thanks so much!

Patrick

TRX does pinpoint on side. Down Lower on the sides. Has dead spot on side too. Think I can place a quarter flat against side of Pointer and no signal. A find in side of hole one might not get a signal on. Volume is low too on TRX. Have to take full headphones off to hear really.
I just got Garrett AT Pointer. It’s loud. Shorter than TRX which is convenient. Works good. No dead spots for detection on the sides either.
Does have some warranty too.

Cheers.

PS
Here’s video I did using TRX showing where it detects on probe using a US quarter.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LqWVSMvlovo

Here’s video I did comparing TRX to the Garrett Propointer AT.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SjOI4fC5MvE

Last edited:
I don't believe there's a difference in pin pointers for relic vs coin hunting. IMO the TRX and the F-pulse are the best pin pointers. They are the deepest and run on AA batteries. I use the TRX when digging smaller hole like in parks/lawns and the f-pluse when digging big holes like in fields and celler holes.

The TRX is available secondhand, but for a princely sum of $220+

The Garrett Carrot is a good option, but doesn't have the ratcheting (closing range) of the XP Mi-4 or the TRX. Depending on how you hunt, that will be an important factor.

If you want a pinpointer with an internal battery, consider the XP Mi-4 (or Mi-6 if you have a compatible XP detector).

The Minelab Pro-Find 35 is another good option and has the iron discrimination feature. I mostly look for coins and found that feature to be a gimmick. But if you're looking at relics, it might come in handy.

The TRX is available secondhand, but for a princely sum of $220+

The Garrett Carrot is a good option, but doesn't have the ratcheting (closing range) of the XP Mi-4 or the TRX. Depending on how you hunt, that will be an important factor.

If you want a pinpointer with an internal battery, consider the XP Mi-4 (or Mi-6 if you have a compatible XP detector).

The Minelab Pro-Find 35 is another good option and has the iron discrimination feature. I mostly look for coins and found that feature to be a gimmick. But if you're looking at relics, it might come in handy.

Actually the Garrett Carrot does have closing range function. You just press the button while near the target to detune and zero in on your target. It works quite well I just leave mine on high sens all the time and use this function. When you're done just turn it off or point it in the air and press the button to set it back to default sensitivity. Check out the video here.

https://vimeo.com/359634351

Actually the Garrett Carrot does have closing range function. You just press the button while near the target to detune and zero in on your target. It works quite well I just leave mine on high sens all the time and use this function. When you're done just turn it off or point it in the air and press the button to set it back to default sensitivity. Check out the video here.

https://vimeo.com/359634351

No, that's detuning, which is different from ratcheting/closing range...and it doesn't work as well as a pinpointer with a good closing range. But it appears that a pintpointer with good closing range (ratcheting) might be less sensitive to tiny targets, so it's a trade off.

I've used a few and I currently use the Fisher F-Pulse. Goes deeper than others and is built tough as a tank. The tip doesn't wear through like other soft pin pointers that require you to put "caps" or "covers" on the ends.

Carl really knocked it out of the park with that unit. It's VERY programmable, which a lot of other pointers are not.

He also designed the TRX.

Read what he had to say on a different forum a few years ago....

"I designed the F-Pulse (tip+side scan) and the circuit for the White’s TRX (tip only), There are pros & cons of each type, just as with DD vs concentric coils. There is no “best” approach. My personal preference for the majority of hunting I do is tip-only, yet if I were relic hunting in a field I would grab a side-scan PP, no question.

The issue of tip vs tip+side is decided by the circuit design, it is not something that can be easily altered by the designer. PI (F-Pulse, Pistol Probe) and loaded oscillator (ProPointer, Pro-Find 25) end up with tip+side, VLF/IB (TRX, Sunray) end up with tip-only; all whether you want it or not."

I've used a few and I currently use the Fisher F-Pulse. Goes deeper than others and is built tough as a tank. The tip doesn't wear through like other soft pin pointers that require you to put "caps" or "covers" on the ends.

Carl really knocked it out of the park with that unit. It's VERY programmable, which a lot of other pointers are not.

He also designed the TRX.

Read what he had to say on a different forum a few years ago....

"I designed the F-Pulse (tip+side scan) and the circuit for the White’s TRX (tip only), There are pros & cons of each type, just as with DD vs concentric coils. There is no “best” approach. My personal preference for the majority of hunting I do is tip-only, yet if I were relic hunting in a field I would grab a side-scan PP, no question.

The issue of tip vs tip+side is decided by the circuit design, it is not something that can be easily altered by the designer. PI (F-Pulse, Pistol Probe) and loaded oscillator (ProPointer, Pro-Find 25) end up with tip+side, VLF/IB (TRX, Sunray) end up with tip-only; all whether you want it or not."

I carry the TRX in one back pocket, and the F-Pulse in the other back pocket. You get the knack for grabbing either one according to the circumstance, but the F-Pulse usually gets center stage after the target is out of the hole. The two pointers work well together, tip only TRX for initial location, F-Pulse for final location in a pile of dirt or clods. It is a fast process with time.

Back
Top Bottom