• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

New CTX = New Big Silver and a question

turkeyhntr

I have had my CTX 3030 for about a month and been trying to learn it. I had about 6 years on an AT-Pro. Finally decided to head to an old wooded park that is heavy in iron. I worked the woods for a while without much luck so I went to a small open area that is really dense with iron and junk. Pulled about a dozen clad quarters and then a wheat. Had the big coil on and it was hard to separate signals, so went to edge and first good signal out popped a half.

A very nice half, that looks like it was dropped as soon as it was minted, but here is the question. This one has a white chalky look to it. It is the third coin that I have found over the years in different places like this. Any idea what causes this and how to get it off without ruining it?

I have been working on the quarter and dime off and on for a couple of years with dawn soap and distilled water in a jewelry machine. I have already dunked the half in ammonia for a short time and it helped some, but the chalky look is still there, just doesn't show up well in the pics.

I'm heading back to that area with my small coil in the morning and hoping for more good finds.

Thanks for looking and HH.

Attachments

• IMG_2558.jpg
    IMG_2558.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_2557.jpg
    IMG_2557.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_2556.jpg
    IMG_2556.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 173
I’d leave it alone but if you want them to shine use baking soda and water and they will shine like the day they came out of the mint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't want to shine them up. The white stuff is really thick in some areas. Not sure how to explain it. Looks good in the photos, but when you see them in person the details aren't there and the white color makes them look fake or like someone painted it. If they had regular patina I leave them alone.

Thanks, they are all great coins, but not from the same hunt. If they were all from the same hunt I think I would have a heart attack.

Headed out now to try and add to them.

Thanks

Congrats on the great hunt and finding the silver...

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Sometimes vending coins were painted to keep track of certain aspects of the business,perhaps this is one of those? Regardless...awesome work with the CTX!

I think the half looks great as is. But , as you say ... maybe the photo is not showing some un-desirable color ? If so, try ezest. And to get the color dull again, try some pencil lead graphite that you thumbrub over the coin. Ie.: get the pencil lead (like from a freshly sharpened pencil) and get on your thumb and finger. Just a thought .........

Back
Top Bottom