It is ever too cold to go MD ?

DbblTap

Elite Member
At what temps would you say no to MD ? Is it ever too cold or too hot ?

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

The heat, is an opinion thing...

It can get cold enough too freeze certain types of ground solid, but I've water hunted when it was 18°F, with a 2° chill, before the lake was froze...

<°)))>{

Attachments

• IMG_20141118_222925.jpg
    IMG_20141118_222925.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 421
It's never too cold to hunt. If the dirt under the leaves in the woods finally gets frozen or covered in a foot of snow, then I'll hit the beach, either on the slope following the tide out...or else bust thru the slush and hunt in the water:shock:

Anything below 15ºC (60f) is too cold for me, and anything above 46ºC (115f) is too hot for me. Ideal temp for me is high 80's, low 90's. Call me a wuss if you like! :lol:

In my part of FL, it has to be colder than 32 for me to relic hunt. Just too many darn cottonmouths

Attachments

• 8-steve-irwin-snake-meme.jpg
    8-steve-irwin-snake-meme.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 438
Cold is the best time, weeds out the pirates. Being prepared is the secret..

I think the answer to this depends on two things:

The quality of your gear.

The size of your...er...courage. :laughing:

I love hunting in the cold. I have all the right gear and there is nobody else around.
Cold tends to weed out the part timers and sissies.

The heat, is an opinion thing...

It can get cold enough too freeze certain types of ground solid, but I've water hunted when it was 18°F, with a 2° chill, before the lake was froze...

<°)))>{
Every time I see that photo I get fond memories. Salt water, anything above the water iced up from the spray. Wetsand 90% rock solid. Pulled 2 gold on that day

If the ground is frozen solid or snow is so deep I must shovel a place to swing I may stay home. Although I have shoveled spots in the past. I have been out in 18 degrees F. and am ok unless windy, hate that wind. :lol:
When I began detecting and was pillaging my neighborhood cold was never an issue. I heat my home with a wood stove in the basement so it is typically 105 degrees down there. I would go out and swing and when I got cold I would duck into the basement for about 15 minutes and head back out. I would keep a pair of boots bear the stove and just swap back and forth. Ah, those were the good old days but the neighborhood is running low on relics and I must travel a mile or so to find things. I need a portable stove to take to the fields!

I agree, hunting in what folks call 'cold' is the best time to be out...the HEAT is what will flat ruin a hunt, anything above 80 degrees and its painful, especially if the Sun is out......
Dress right for the cold, the World is yours!

As long as I don't need a pickaxe to cut a plug I'm good to go. Then again I'm also a Yooper transplant. Heat is what shuts me down.

Dress right for the cold, the World is yours!
As long as I don't need a pickaxe to cut a plug I'm good to go. Then again I'm also a Yooper transplant. Heat is what shuts me down.
I was still living in Michigan when I bought my first detector. It was February...I has to snow-blow the lawn, and then use a pickaxe. Yup, I was hooked from day-1. :laughing:

Every January I grab my detector and head to the local beach and start searching the water. It's like scoring one on Old Man Winter. I dont care what the calendar says, I'm gonna detect year 'round whether its 90 degrees in the shade or all the way down to the lower 70's. Nuttin keeping me out of the water.

I hate hunting in the heat; I hate heat in general. Too much Pennsylvania blood in me.

That said, the one thing that shuts it down for me is numb hands. If I had a way to keep my hands from going numb, it would pretty much never be too cold for me to detect. It's easy to keep your core warm (at least, it is for me) when you are moving AT ALL, and certainly there's enough "moving" when detecting to stay warm, with the right clothing. It's just my HANDS that are the problem...

Hunting (deer/small game, etc.) is pretty much the same, though I find it easier to keep my hands warm when I'm game hunting. Climbing up hills, or over obstacles, is enough to keep even my hands warm in most cases. Only stand hunting for deer is a problem for my hands.

Bottom line, I can hunt game in much colder weather than I can detect in, and it's all because of the "cold hands" issue. I have never found a pair of gloves or mittens that work, if you are not generating body heat through activity...

Steve

Every January I grab my detector and head to the local beach and start searching the water. It's like scoring one on Old Man Winter. I dont care what the calendar says, I'm gonna detect year 'round whether its 90 degrees in the shade or all the way down to the lower 70's. Nuttin keeping me out of the water.

:laughing: rough, really glad you could muster the strength to cope with 70s, lol

I've been mustering the same strength now for 2 years! :laughing:

Hate the cold, too thin of blood in my system from running hot all these years growing up in the south. I have my limits on water hunts when its cold.
As a FL Native, loved the heat in my youth, always had an outside job. Now, in my 60s, heat can be a factor even in the water, but then, you can stay neck deep.
DL

Back
Top Bottom