Your BEST Setting - Question for the Group

erudolf

Hi Everyone:

For the first six months or so I have been using my detector's standard programs with no modifications--a Coin and Jewelry program mostly, and HiPro and Deep Silver programs on occasion. The point, of course, is to actually become good at using the detector out of the box before I go and mess with a ton of settings and completely screw myself up.

I am a firm believer in the philosophy of "pulling one lever at a time," probably because I have a lot of Engineers in my family. Plus I've read a number of posts here where people change too many settings at once, and end up having to reset back to factory because their programs are no longer effective. So with all of this in mind, I would like as many answers as I can get to this very simple question:

"Knowing what I know now, if I could only adjust ONE setting on my detector and the rest were locked, it would be _____________."

Please know I'm not looking for a quick fix here, and I understand that your answers will vary based on where you hunt, what you hunt, and how you hunt. Along with everyone else, I'm just looking to save some time. And if I start playing with settings, I'd like to start with the ones that can actually make the biggest impact. Thanks in advance!

No single adjustment will work. Likewise your question would help if you named one detector you are referring to as they all have various features and settings to be adjusted.

You don't just adjust one knob on a radio amplifier same as a single detector adjustment isnt going to have your machine tuned for every environment.

IF there was one feature that made the most difference, it would be the discrimination knob.

Turned to disc out the lower scale of targets, a discrimination adjustment could have a guy digging less junk straight out of the gate, again though, it depends more often than not on WHICH machine you are referring to. :)

I would discriminate NOTHING! Run that puppy wide open! Sure, it'll sound like an orchestra in you ears, confusing at first and you'll dig tons of trash, but you'll learn the subtle nuisances so much faster. If all the noise is just *too* overwhelming at first, then discriminate blocks as needed to calm down the chatter.

Personally, I'd rather hear it and choose not to dig it...than to have never heard it at all.

Likewise your question would help if you named one detector you are referring to as they all have various features and settings to be adjusted.

I chose not to list the detector because I didn't want people to avoid commenting (the more answers the better) but at the present time I am using a White's v3i. And there are hundreds and hundreds of adjustments you can make--Frequency, Boost, Rx Gain, tweaks to size readings and polar plot, recovery speed, etc. Just overwhelming sometimes.

Thanks for the help!

Discrimination. Adjust according to what you are looking for. That's ME. The better your machine is at giving an accurate target ID,the more you can get away with it.

Well,
From your post sounds like a White's V series detector.

Biggest thing to watch on those V series detectors,,,don't ramp up the Rx gain too high,,,around 9-11 will suffice most times.
And zero out the tones of ID numbers you don't want to hear,,meaning accept all vdis.

Using 3 freq mode will hurt you on depth vs single freq like 7.5khz.

Don't go to high on recovery setting,,,stay out of the 90s region, till you get more time with unit.

Tracking GB,,be careful, you lay the detector down, it will track out, and you could miss a find until the detector tracks back in.

In trashy sites and sites loaded with iron,,manual GB the smart move.

A tedious unit to get performing real well site to site.

Hope this helps.

For me the number one change is Discrimination.

When I first got my Etrac I loaded up the magic settings and those that others had told me to use. I never really did that well in the Two Tone Ferrous mode that others seem to do well in.. maybe its my ground or lack of experience but the detector seemed to shine with just a little disc in multi tones...

What I am getting at here is I learned that you must do what works best for you and that is not always going with the croud using the same settings that everyone else uses. When I hunt I tend to only change up one thing at at time, first discrim then usually sensitivity and just go with it for awhile. Luckily with the ctx i can switch modes to verify if I would dig it on another mode

Back
Top Bottom