My First Gold Chain Necklace !

Dave......Appreciate your Kudos :thankyou:

You are using a great detector; it's just a matter of continuing to put in the hours hunting, with emphasis on the high-activity areas until you eventually will scan over a nice piece of jewelry. Keep swinging slow and low with Sens. as high as possible (without annoying noise) and it will happen if you don't give up !

In my case, I have recovered lots of trash and modern coinage in my 12 years of metal detecting, but the only jewelry has been low-cost costume jewelry and Catholic crucifix crosses. I have yet to find a single piece of expensive jewelry made of gold, silver or one of the platinum group metals with or without precious stones and many others share this experience, so don't despair.

ToddB64

Todd. Thanks for the words of encouragement. Very much appreciated...I've been in this hobby a very short time, relatively speaking, about 3 months. I hunt whenever possible but it's typically at my local park, the woods behind the house, my wife's grandparents or my parents. I don't have any solid permissions yet. When things slow down bit I'm going to go on the hunt for them. Thanks again....HH

Good recovery

If you dig all targets in jewerly range then eventually you will find gold and silver jewerly and you will dig a lot of trash then when you dig trash target and holy cow nice piece of jewerly comes out of ground.

2017 gold jewerly 5, plat 1, silver 2 Coins silver 5

If you dig all targets in jewerly range then eventually you will find gold and silver jewerly and you will dig a lot of trash then when you dig trash target and holy cow nice piece of jewerly comes out of ground.

2017 gold jewerly 5, plat 1, silver 2 Coins silver 5

Hi Terry !

Thanks for that reminder. Using the Gamma 6000 with it's proclivity for Dimes and Quarters makes me hungry for :money: so I tend to inadvertently fixate on that and pass over the trash targets, not wanting to spend the time to dig can slaw, pull-tabs, stay-tabs and peel-off freshness seals, but you are right....a big mistake if I want the high dollar jewelry, which I do ! I'll try to do better in the future. ;)

At age 76 with Parkinson's among other things, I'm not supposed to drive, so my wife has to take me whenever I go metal detecting. I have to limit my hunting to 2 hours, so she doesn't have to wait so long to resume her day. So I always feel pressed for time.

ToddB64

Congrats on the chain, plated or not, still fun to find. Sounds like you're hunting is similiar to mine. I was about 3-4 months in when I hit my first real gold, I try to get out for a 3-4 hours on the weekends and occasionaly maybe get an hour or 2 in during the week. Mostly woods, totters, and occasionly yards or people I know. Have found a handful of silver rings over the past couple of year and averaging 1 gold per year. Keep at it and it will show up, typically when you're least expecting it.

Congrats on the chain, plated or not, still fun to find. Sounds like you're hunting is similiar to mine. I was about 3-4 months in when I hit my first real gold, I try to get out for a 3-4 hours on the weekends and occasionaly maybe get an hour or 2 in during the week. Mostly woods, totters, and occasionly yards or people I know. Have found a handful of silver rings over the past couple of year and averaging 1 gold per year. Keep at it and it will show up, typically when you're least expecting it.

Hi T-Man :tiphat:

Thanks for sharing and encouraging !

Using my Gamma 6000, I've gone hunting three times in the past 10 days, finding around 0.60¢, 0.70¢ plus the Gold Chain and $1.37 yesterday; lots of Dimes and Pennies (quite a few pre-'82 all-coppers and one '98 Canadian) and a few quarters. That machine is a magnet when it comes to Dimes and all-copper pennies that ring up as Dimes.

We've had some rains here in SW Ohio over the past two weeks, so the ground is moist, easy diggin and improved TX/RX.

I plan to go again today if my wife is feeling up to driving me to my favorite park and waiting in the car, reading for two hours with our little Butterfly pictured below. Wife has been suffering really bad from leaf mold allergy lately, so if she's up to it I'll be out the door shortly ! :run1:

HH !

ToddB64

Attachments

• Pom Butterfly Screen Small Size  133 x 133.jpg
    Pom Butterfly Screen Small Size 133 x 133.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 38
You're not too awfully far from me. I think there is (or used to) be an MD club in Bethel if I recall correcly. Little bit of a drive for me to get there but should be right down the road for you. Met a couple of guys from it a few years back who were MDing an old civil war orphange that is right down the street from my house. Have one of thier cards somewhere but not on me at work.

You're not too awfully far from me. I think there is (or used to) be an MD club in Bethel if I recall correcly. Little bit of a drive for me to get there but should be right down the road for you. Met a couple of guys from it a few years back who were MDing an old civil war orphange that is right down the street from my house. Have one of thier cards somewhere but not on me at work.

T-Man......I assume you are referring to the SOUTHWEST OHIO TREASURE HUNTING club in Bethel.

According to their website: http://diggingbethel.forumotion.com/, they started in 2013 with (6 ) members listed below and it appears they currently have one Sponsor: WALMART.

They have a well-put-together website, but I didn't see a lot of posting going on other than the 14 that Mr. Angel did when the club got started.

S.O.T.H. Registered Members
President (Admin): Joe Angel
Kgibbs79
Bob Knepper
Ern5H68 (Earnest Hudson)
Tennison
CladKing

Anyway, I'm not "into" Clubs anymore. With Diabetes and Parkinson's, giving up driving a car and being totally dependent on "wifey" to chauffeur me everywhere has robbed my independence......a hard nut to swallow ! :gaah:

My brother, a salesman for his own business and living in Indiana, is planning to visit me this week on a day when he's making business calls in SW Ohio and we will be going on one of our few-and-far-between "Dueling Tesoro Compadre's" hunts. He only has a Compadre right now, so to keep it fair, I leave my Gamma in the cupboard and take my Compadre. However...

...back when Digger27 (Dave) was mainly using the Compadre that he bought from SkiWhiz, who had adjusted the Sens. up close to Max., Dave was posting a lot of his hard-won tips and tricks with the Compadre and I copied them all and made a pocket-size booklet for field reference and gave my brother a copy to give him a fair chance on our hunts. :ewink:

I was hunting with my Teknetics Gamma 6000 for a couple of hours this morning and we (the Gamma and I) scored pretty well for the short time I had....(2) Washington Quarters, (6) Rosie Dimes and (4) Lincoln Zinc Cents = $1.14.

Yesterday's 2-hour hunt produced (2) "State" Quarters, HawaII and louisiana, (7) Rosie Dimes, (1) 1970 D copper Cent, (1) KW1 USA house key and a couple pieces of dug Mountain Dew can slaw = $1.21.

Well, guess I've worn you out with all this blabber, so I'll end by wishing you Happy Hunting T-Man !

ToddB64

Last edited:
That's the place, doesn't appear thier forum ever took off very well. I would of been interested in checking the place out but it would take about about 1-2 hours to get there from where I'm at and with a wife and 4 kids at the house, full time job, daughter with autism and all the appointments and therapies that go with that it wasn't worth the time. At least you keep getting out and having a good time so good luck to ya. Good stuff still to come.

That's the place, doesn't appear thier forum ever took off very well. I would of been interested in checking the place out but it would take about about 1-2 hours to get there from where I'm at and with a wife and 4 kids at the house, full time job, daughter with autism and all the appointments and therapies that go with that it wasn't worth the time. At least you keep getting out and having a good time so good luck to ya. Good stuff still to come.

T-Man,

Since you were kind enough to give me a "heads-up" on the TH'g club near me, I just wanted to pass along the info. in case you wanted to connect with any of those guys, but I don't blame you for not wanting to make the long drive to Bethel, especially with all of the responsibilities with which you are dealing.

Good Luck and it's been nice chat'in with ya.

ToddB64 (1964 I started MD'ing ! :thumbsup:)

Back
Top Bottom