plastic nut and screws

HEM

Forum Supporter
Hi

I hope that for this new year we all find more gold :)

I'm making a straight shaft for my Excal and I was just wondering how some items can be very difficult to find, one example is plastic nuts and screws. As most hardware stores are still close here for new year, I look online to see how much those could cost... $25.00 WOW that's expensive for "original Minelab spare parts"!

I recall that my Brother who's an RC builder telling me that they used plastic nuts and screws for building plane and also reducing the weight of some cars. So I search in this area and found a very interesting site selling those nylon 1/4 x 2 inch screws use in minelab Excal as well as building of a straight shaft. I also think that this site has over sizes of screws that could be used in other detectors. Check it out it worth the price.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...2_inch_Wing_Bolt_Nylon_Screws_10pcs_bag_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17856__M6_Nylon_Nut_10pcs_bag_.html

Hi Hem,
This is my first posting on this forum. I'm afraid I don't have any info on the subject of plastic attachments to metal detectors but I am keen to make contact with someone who detects in The Mauritius. I gather from some of your past postings that you either liove there or sometimes detect there? The reason for my interest is that a direct abcestor of mine was a British Soldier on the Island between 1810 and 1817. His regiment, The 12th Foot regiment, helped in the capture of the Islands from the French in 1810---and he was garrisoned there for the following 7 years! ( must have been a cushy posting?)./ I'm keen to discover if you have found anything from this period? ( buttons etc with X11 in the centre)? If I have got the wrong person perhaps you can re-direct me?
I am a detectorist detecting in Norfolk U.K. Best Wishes. Hope you can help? Dave.

Hi Hem,
This is my first posting on this forum. I'm afraid I don't have any info on the subject of plastic attachments to metal detectors but I am keen to make contact with someone who detects in The Mauritius. I gather from some of your past postings that you either liove there or sometimes detect there? The reason for my interest is that a direct abcestor of mine was a British Soldier on the Island between 1810 and 1817. His regiment, The 12th Foot regiment, helped in the capture of the Islands from the French in 1810---and he was garrisoned there for the following 7 years! ( must have been a cushy posting?)./ I'm keen to discover if you have found anything from this period? ( buttons etc with X11 in the centre)? If I have got the wrong person perhaps you can re-direct me?
I am a detectorist detecting in Norfolk U.K. Best Wishes. Hope you can help? Dave.

Hi iceni and welcome to the forum, its an honor to meet someone who's ancestor contributed to change the course of Mauritian history. I had found some artifacts dating from this period, specially a silver spoon which came from a shipwreck.

We still find some very interesting artifact everywhere on the island and the sea. But I don't hunt on land, its too much complicated, this is why I'm more focus in "snorkeling-detecting".

I have a good friend from Britain his name is Robert Morgan (he uses a Deus) who came to Mauritius three times, he also written an article about me and metal detecting in Mauritius in Treasure magazine.

Here's a link to a historical site call Martello tower at la La Preneuse. it has a very impressive collection of military buttons which were found during the renovation of the tower.

http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/nheri...t_id=7b0c4db4ca2c8010VgnVCM100000ca6a12acRCRD
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reduit/4318824592/in/photostream/

You know what? Those plastic screws that they attach toilet seats to the toilet bowl work too. Get them cheap at a hardware store. :D

Plastic Replacement hardware for coil/shaft

You know what? Those plastic screws that they attach toilet seats to the toilet bowl work too. Get them cheap at a hardware store. :D

Hey Carol,

That's a great idea!!!:p Thanks for sharing!!

Mike
(in TN)

good point here, except that we don't live in the same country. I have to drive thousand of miles, visit thousand of stores to find a specific product and many time I'll end up ordering them online.

It's great to live on a far away island but everything has its pros and cons.... if I needed to buy the plastic screws for toilet seats in any local stores here for mob my detectors...well believe me Carol those guys here would ask me to buy the complete toilet seat set.. no joke :(

I have some rc planes and been flying them for over 30 years so if I needed some plastic scews and nuts first place I would try is a local hobby shop. They have all kinds of them and other stuff. Some of the planes I have use plastic bolts to hold the wings on so they are tuff.

i also seen the price of a factory plastic nut & bolt (25 bucks :shock:) i went to the hardware store and picked up a couple spares ....not sure if they are plastic or nylon but they were about 24 bucks cheaper :lol:

I have some rc planes and been flying them for over 30 years so if I needed some plastic scews and nuts first place I would try is a local hobby shop. They have all kinds of them and other stuff. Some of the planes I have use plastic bolts to hold the wings on so they are tuff.

They are tough indeed and cheap :yes: you get a pack of ten for $ 1.23 which is reasonable compare to $25...

Those will fit a whites coil.Minelab is smaller.I buy the 1/4"x2 1/2" at Lowes made of nylon.A little extra long.But works good when using a coil stabilizer.Stock bolt is too short for that.

Hi iceni and welcome to the forum, its an honor to meet someone who's ancestor contributed to change the course of Mauritian history. I had found some artifacts dating from this period, specially a silver spoon which came from a shipwreck.

We still find some very interesting artifact everywhere on the island and the sea. But I don't hunt on land, its too much complicated, this is why I'm more focus in "snorkeling-detecting".

I have a good friend from Britain his name is Robert Morgan (he uses a Deus) who came to Mauritius three times, he also written an article about me and metal detecting in Mauritius in Treasure magazine.

Here's a link to a historical site call Martello tower at la La Preneuse. it has a very impressive collection of military buttons which were found during the renovation of the tower.

http://www.gov.mu/portal/site/nheri...t_id=7b0c4db4ca2c8010VgnVCM100000ca6a12acRCRD
http://www.flickr.com/photos/reduit/4318824592/in/photostream/

Hi again Hem
Thanks for this info. Must admit the link you sent was very interesting. I would love to know if any 12th regiment of foot buttons were among those in the museum. Many soldiers must have "lost" buttons--and other bits and pieces, whilst fighting there in 1810---and whilst on garrison duty for the nest 6 or 7 years! The 12th regiment of foot ( the east Suffolk regiment) have a museum in Bury St edmunds in UK---and they have no artefacts at all from the Mauritius campaign of 1810!--What a beautiful Island you live on! Thanks again for you replies etc. Greatly appreciated---look forward to keeping in contact. My best wishes. David ( UK).

Back
Top Bottom