Bob Seeger turns 72....

DIGGER27

In Memory Of
Alabama, by way of Detroit, Tampa Bay, Alabama and
Happy birthday Bob....you were a huge part of my youth growing up in the Detroit area in the 60's and 70's.
Not just a big part of my memories, either.

http://segercenter.blogspot.com/2006/12/send-us-your-seger-memories.html

He played in bars and roller rinks, coffee houses and so, so many high schools in the early days.
If there was a place with enough room to set up his equipment he played it.
One high school got him as their prom band after winning a contest by sending in more Wrigley Spearmint gum wrappers than any others.
I saw him at least a half dozen times around town in the early 70's...when we could get tickets, that is, because they sold out so fast after he started to get famous.
Eventually the rest of the country caught in to the talent that we in Michigan already knew so well.
Once at the Pine Knob amphitheater we just paid for parking and had a blast partying with many others listening to the concert from there when we couldn't score those hard to get tickets.
He never forgot where he came from and who supported him in those early days, I don't think he ever played a concert that lasted less than 3 hours if you ever saw him play anywhere in the Midwest.
He had plenty of songs, he could have played for 8 hours and never repeated one.
Once you saw him live you had no choice but to become a fan.

Tons of great bands in the late 60's to early 70's in Detroit but this guy ruled the airwaves and concert venues.
Still out there playing music too.

"ROCK AND ROLL NEVER FORGETS"

Attachments

• 103352163.jpg
    103352163.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 124
  • B97396716Z.120141124231507000GP87IHUS.11.jpg
    B97396716Z.120141124231507000GP87IHUS.11.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Yep! Great local band. Saw them several times.
His bass player, Butch Campbell, married the sister of a good friend of mine.

Happy B-Day Bob!
Turn the page.

Oh Man! Yeah...some really strange memories.....going 120 mph between Toledo and Bowling Green on New Years night in '78 at about 11:45 with 'Katmandu' just blasting on the 8track!:lol: Sunspot Baby is another favorite of mine...

Those were the years Man...Seger is a must have for long haul driving...Happy Birthday Bob! You damn near killed me a time or two, but no hard feeling here!:laughing:

"Seger" Digger......It's "S e g e r".

Just kidding with you, and giving you a hard time. Where do you come up with these little tid-bits ? :D

Seger is definitely one of my favorites.....thanks for the info !

1978 zippin around Toledo and Bowling Green in my '69 GTO because thats where the "chics" were, being a college town.

8 tracks stored in the mini wooden "peach crate" holder we bought at Peaches. Ah the memories.

1978 zippin around Toledo and Bowling Green in my '69 GTO because thats where the "chics" were, being a college town.

8 tracks stored in the wooden "peach crate" holder we bought at Peaches. Ah the memories.

Yep! Thats why I was heading there in such a furious hurry! Why else would a guy be out at that hour? :laughing::laughing: I gotta think we have probably crossed paths there 5 mile?....Possibly even Jumbo Fonted each other a time or two back then?:laughing:

Yep! Thats why I was heading there in such a furious hurry! Why else would a guy be out at that hour? :laughing::laughing: I gotta think we have probably crossed paths there 5 mile?....Possibly even Jumbo Fonted each other a time or two?

Haha..probably did... you scored on the "chic" I wanted! but on the way down there, I left you in my dust!! :lol:

Seger was at our county fair back about '75. Night Moves LP was one of the first albums I ever bought as a teen. We cruised the 'ave in my '57 Chevy with Seger and Nugent blairing through the Jensen co-axials :lol: and under-dash eight track!

Seger was at our county fair back about '75. Night Moves LP was one of the first albums I ever bought as a teen. We cruised the 'ave in my '57 Chevy with Seger and Nugent blairing through the Jensen co-axials :lol: and under-dash eight track!

Same here. Except mine was a cassette deck in my '73 Buick.....:yes:

Just as I mentioned Pine Knob I see this...

http://www.freep.com/story/entertai...-seger-have-dte-show-works/101435238/?ref=yfp

If he schedules this concert I bet tickets will sell out fast...just like in the old days.
Of all the places that I've seen him, I hate Pine Knob the most. The crowds are huge (which is why performers like it), and the acoustics absolutely suck! It's become a venue that only attracts punks, wannabe's, and nostalgic's that can't come to grips with the fact that they are getting old.

I think that I'll just keep the memories that I have from the auditoriums, gymnasiums, and ice arenas, instead of trying to re-live days gone by.

Of all the places that I've seen him, I hate Pine Knob the most. The crowds are huge (which is why performers like it), and the acoustics absolutely suck! It's become a venue that only attracts punks, wannabe's, and nostalgic's that can't come to grips with the fact that they are getting old.

I think that I'll just keep the memories that I have from the auditoriums, gymnasiums, and ice arenas, instead of trying to re-live days gone by.

I was at a concert right after Michigan started their 10¢ a can deposit thing in 1978.
I "helped" clean up the grass area after and picked up enough cans to pay for my ticket in just a few minutes.

I didn't think the acoustics were so bad...I saw Seger, Chicago, Linda Rondstat and many others there, but I mostly sat in the seats under the roof and rarely in the grass.

Last edited:
I didn't think the acoustics were so bad...I saw Seger, Chicago, Linda Rondstat and many other there, but I mostly sat in the seats under the roof and rarely in the grass.
At the back of the pavilion there's a terrible echo, and outside of it on the grass all the drumbeats are a beat late.

My best memory of Pine Knob was seeing George Carlin there. :lol:

Lol you guys still call it 'Pine Knob' and not DTE, just like I do - :lol:

Have seen everyone from VanHagar to Robert Plant there.
The one I remember is Jimmy Buffett back in the early 90's (If I recall correctly) lot's of folks being dragged out by security for lighting off bottle rockets and firecrackers among the crowd -

-oh yeah and the pigeons roosting inside the pavilion, up high, pooping on people's heads down below -

Lol you guys still call it 'Pine Knob' and not DTE, just like I do - :lol:

Have seen everyone from VanHagar to Robert Plant there.
The one I remember is Jimmy Buffett back in the early 90's (If I recall correctly) lot's of folks being dragged out by security for lighting off bottle rockets and firecrackers among the crowd -

-oh yeah and the pigeons roosting inside the pavilion, up high, pooping on people's heads down below -

I hate when they change the names.
I know Cobo is still Cobo Hall and I assume the Masonic Temple is still the name on that venerable place where I also saw many concerts.

Back
Top Bottom