Airlines and over booked flights

tnsharpshooter

Supporter
Forum Supporter
What is wrong with this picture,,with what we have seen lately with airline's interaction with folks when asked to leave aircraft??

Where is the common sense on this issue ??
I haven't even seen any journalist asking smart questions here on this issue.

How about this idea ( no rocket science degree needed) ??

It would be fine to sell overbooked airline flight tickets,,,the airline does need to communicate this "overbooking" to the paying customer.

Also the ticket should clearly say conspicuously the ticket is an over book ticket and be numbered so even overbook tickets can be looked at and appropriate priority be given to the earlier overbook ticket purchasers vs the more recent.

Then when boarding,,when the agent checks your ticket,,and it is an overbook they can tell you to step to the rear of line.

Airlines usually announce boarding by seat numbers,,,they should announce also overbook ticket holders to stand fast and they will be dealt with in due time.

Bottom line folks don't like surprises,,,these overbook tickets,,,what can happen to a person holding,,as long as they are aware,,,and are not taken by surprise,,the mood and attitude of folks overall would be much better.

Maybe some of the airlines' management will read this.

Last edited:
Makes me want to book a flight, get dragged off with a bloody nose since it was overbooked and I refuse to leave my seat, and then retire from my job with a nice settlement from the airline.

The biggest issue is, they want their cake and eat it too..

When a flight is under booked, they'll cancel it too...

You buy a ticket, it should be fricken valid...

Criminal

<°)))>{

I've been bumped so many times...traveling for business ...I hate flying for any reason!...My boss once questioned a $40 airport bar tab I submitted on my expense report...I'm like "Hey! You gotta problem? Take it up with the Airline!"

Oh Lord...I can drive from here to Atlanta in 13hrs, get there with all my gear, smoke along the way, have a wonderful time...its only a '3hr flight', but then again, it may be a 2 day ordeal..I aint up to the risk or adventure anymore..

I just dont like the whole scenario...I bought a product under the idea it was valid, and then you find out its entirely arbitrary...

All sorts of nightmare stories abound for business air travelers...It aint no fun...

Attachments

• 3geaq-United-airlines-safety-card.jpg
    3geaq-United-airlines-safety-card.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 82
I think the obvious solution is to sell all the seats minus one or two for airline employees and make them non refundable. They get paid maximum occupancy minus the commitment to their employees. Problem solved.

Over booking is BS, and needs to be outlawed. The family of four in Hawaii in the news today?! Come on, Man! :mad: The airlines have to be stopped, this isn't right. Make over-booking illegal, and if they do it, slap them with a huge fine, plus prosecute all personnel involved in removing or attempting to remove a passenger from a plane, plus prosecute whomever was responsible for the over-booking. As if the TSA intrusion isn't bad enough!

Each flight I've been on that was overbooked.. they started offering cash to anyone that would stay... they start out low and gradually increase until someone takes their offer... I don't understand what's causing the problem unless they have quit offering the cash since my last flight which was to the inauguration...??

One would think the airlines industry would be one of the more sophisticated.
Don't look like it.

Even look at the computer glitches they have experienced,,and this grounded them.

They need some brain power it seems in more ways than one.

How much do these CEOs make??

We heard from one,,when some thing went badly wrong,,,why not here from them when things are good??

Is 9/11 to blame with some of the changes ??
Don't think so.

Maybe they should get fedex or UPS to mange the flights as far as people and seats.

Funny,,with all the computer gadgetry and they can't manage aircraft ticket sales along with seating.

I got your point. However, in the print of the flight if they need the seats for some reason then they have that right. You know the fine print. I am just wondering where the heck the booking agents head is at to actually verify that the seats are available and not overbooked. seriously I ve been on flights from Los Angeles to Florida 737 type and there was no vacant seat at all. United did good and so did American. but !!!? happened to the people working today on booking I haven't a clue.

How does a person know they indeed hold an overbooked ticket??
I haven't flown in a while.
Is there a way to tell??
Does the agent tell the purchaser when they buy??

And just what means do the airline officials use to determine who has the overbooked ticket??

Really when you think about this,,,these questions and answers to these questions above should be common knowledge.

The press and airline officials should make sure it is.

System shouldn't be hideous.

Goes for trains,,buses, etc too.
All mass transit.

From the news story I seen about it , they over book flights because lots of times people buy the ticket and then don't show up and they end up with empty seats they could have charged more money for. In most if not all cases there is no way to know if you have an over booked ticket or not since they are all the same up until the flight boards. But , that's just greed on the part of the airlines , if they fully book the flight and someone don't show up they still got paid for every seat , they don't have to physically fill them.

and someone don't show up they still got paid for every seat , they don't have to physically fill them.

They also save fuel with a lighter load..

So on most flights, they make money twice for one seat..

Nutz

<°)))>{

I can't think of a time in recent memory where I have been flying somewhere and wouldn't hve taken a payout if they offered it for an overbooked flight... but it would have to be the check, not the voucher.... and I would want the max amount.😃😃 I've never been on an overbooked flight where they ask for someone to get off though.😓

Back
Top Bottom