Equinox 800. Shaft squeak! Help!

OneStudPuppy

Forum Supporter
Ok. I think after further testing tonight and it appears where the shaft poles and plastic collar is the source of my squeak from hell.
Have been working a neighbors yard hard before they do their mulch over the dirt. More hours of use this squeak is getting worse.
I’ve posted about it on Facebook others reported same issue.
Someone said it could also be one of the earlier ones which apparently had a pole alignment issue apparently.
Your thoughts?
Video of it..
https://youtu.be/EPBGKazg2T4

I'd call or email minelab there could be some kind of warranty.

A little anti-seize or gasket sealer would probably help without gluing it permanently.

I'd call or email minelab there could be some kind of warranty.

A little anti-seize or gasket sealer would probably help without gluing it permanently.
Yea I was debating silicon grease lol.
Emailed them, will see how this goes.
Just ordered a 6 inch coil. Discovered recent bills and using my amazon card
Got 59 bucks off..

choose a method, or many

Seems like several options could do it, depending on the actual issue. obvious issues first: inner shaft diameter to thin; out shaft to wide; a collar lock that doesn't fit the shaft sizes. obvious solutions: new collar lock (think walking/snowshoe poles); widen inner shaft; decrease outer shaft. many options exist. a few layers of paint can suffice, or maybe quality very thin tape(scotch?); a hose clamp seems archaic but can squeeze in all the right places; a nice fine wedge (think wooden coffee stirrer sanded to thinness needed and slid in with the inner shaft). it's possible to also add wedge into the collar lock but you'll need to study it's mechanism closely to figure out how.

with force my shaft will replicate the noise. as will so many of the shafts with those joints. I'm hesitant on lubricants.

not so obvious solutions: widen inner shaft on a mandrel (by hundreds of an inch) or use some space age process; secure inner shaft from/through the opposite end (grilling skewers); semi permanently secure the shafts (drill and tap for screws or drill through and bolt)

you really have to study the issue. is the squeaking directional? is it squeaking in all push button lock extension positions? can you solve the issue with just a pair of isolating head phones?

Minelab is sending out a new shaft, I can see one point where it looks like lower to middle shaft with a tightened collar rubs. It seems to have quieted down with a tear down of each section, wet rag wipe down, hose blast shafts and collars THE. Compressed air computer cleaner to blow out the collars. Have to hold them up slightly but tried to remove ANY dust or foreign matter. Haven’t had enough time swinging with the 11 inch coil to see if it returns.
Initially it started out quiet and progressed to where I made the video.
Seems any swing speed and all made it happen.
Shall see. Other than this can’t say I have any complaint about the machine.
Maybe a wish of a swappable battery. But bought a power bank to go with it.
I must be about to hit the 100 hour mark with it by now

Rub the bottom of a candle on the shafts where they meet the collar

Stock shafts on the Equinox lack quality. Minelab knows it. Look at the new cam locks on the baby brother Vanquish.

Stock shafts on the Equinox lack quality. Minelab knows it. Look at the new cam locks on the baby brother Vanquish.
Noticed that the other day actually. Kind of like that design better.
Only think with pressure locks like that say in 10 years or so, least with my grandfathers tripod, is sometimes the plastic which is a pressure lock falls out.
Seems a lot more solid design though with less wiggle etc

Back
Top Bottom