• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Token cleanup

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Dug a Packard token the other day, condition was pretty poor, also a rusty looking Ihp and Cub Scout button. I decided to try a little resto on all three. The rust/red oxide was already coming out of the copper on the token so I stopped short of a full clean up. Pretty happy with it, at least now you can see most of the detail and its already in my display case along with my Pontiac token. The Ihp was a little surprise, rough and rusty looking I found a pretty nice green patina underneath. And the C.S. button almost looks like silver but not likely. A little time and patience is required but IMO pays off. Hope you appreciate the pics. Mark

Attachments

• redo149.jpg
    redo149.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 527
  • redo148.jpg
    redo148.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 515
  • redo152.jpg
    redo152.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 528
  • redo153.jpg
    redo153.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 534
  • redo154.jpg
    redo154.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 517
  • redo146.jpg
    redo146.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 407
  • redo144.jpg
    redo144.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 407
Last edited:
Yes, how did you do it? Came out fantastic.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=497134&stc=1&d=1648344226

GS thanks, for these 3 I used a tightly balled up paper towel for rubbing. In other cleaning post I said spray and let sit for 30 min. or longer. These ones I started to rub after 10 min. add a little baking soda continue to rub. Its ok if it seems like its getting dry, the oil residue it still on the towel. Repeat, soon the higher relief parts will start to show through. Continue till satisfied. If I hit fresh copper I will stop on that area so as not to remove detail. And keep in mind there is no way of knowing how brittle the detail is on copper. So its always a gamble so I only try to clean the ones that would be no better off . Take care, Mark

Attachments

• clean 2.jpg
    clean 2.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 557
I love that Packard token, Mark!! And very nice job on the clean up - thanks for sharing the technique. I’m always on the look out for new methods to add to my cleaning arsenal!

Good job,!

Thank you Mo.

I love that Packard token, Mark!! And very nice job on the clean up - thanks for sharing the technique. I’m always on the look out for new methods to add to my cleaning arsenal!

Ben thanks and you are welcome. Like you I have tried many different methods for cleaning and so far the Sprayaway is the gentlest cleaner I have found so far. Any water based and it brings out the rust. The oil based darken the coin/token but with this method if you continue to buff you can go thru the green and bring it up to the old brown copper look. Its just how much time are you willing to spend. Take care. Mark

Nice finds! That Packard token is very cool.

Than you Ken, the token is in the top 3 favorite finds for me. Now if I could only find the V8 Ford token. Good luck to you. Mark

Very impressive Mark. Truth be said I thought it was a mistake to work on that Token but I'm very happy to be proven wrong. No doubt you brought all three items back to a new beginning. Very impressive indeed! Trapper

Very impressive Mark. Truth be said I thought it was a mistake to work on that Token but I'm very happy to be proven wrong. No doubt you brought all three items back to a new beginning. Very impressive indeed! Trapper

Thank you Trapper, as I said I will usually only try to clean the ones that would be no better off. At least now I can enjoy some of the detail when I look at it. Good luck, Mark

Nice finds Mark. When I was a kid back in the 1950's our next door neighbor had a black 1949 Packard. That car must have weighed 5 tons, it was huge. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom